Personal View site logo
Who needs big budget lighting when you have a GH2?
  • This was made with 3 normal light-bulbs, and 1 work lamp. Literally all the resources I have available to me as a poor college student. I think the result came out quite well under these conditions. Let me know what you think!

http://i.imgur.com/XgA03.jpg

• 14 Replies sorted by
  • Looks nice for what you've shot and the grade, and I totally agree, in this scenario you don't have to have super expensive lighting setups.

But, if this has been a narrative peace with a few wider establishing shots, you're going to struggle to light the whole room with your budget lights. Plus, if this was being blown up onto a digital projector, you'd maybe wanting a bit more detail in your darker areas, which you'd achieve with better lighting.

Regardless, it's a nice peace and you've used what was available to you very well.

• Very good video :) which lens have you used? Have you used the big worklight as backlight/rim light?

• Very nice, you did a good job with the set up. The key to what you did was realizing the limitations of your resources, this is something that can take a LOT of filmmakers a while to learn. So in that regard, you're ahead of the curve. I like the grade and the flare. The only thing that I would have done in your situation, is soften the key a little bit more. A layer of opal would have done the trick. Like I said, "Good job".

• @albertz I used the canon FD 50 1.4 wide open, and yes I have used the work-light as a back-light before. I basically bought it for that purpose, and it only cost $5 at home depot. I would definitely recommend it.

@itimjim I definitely agree, If I had taken any wide shots you would have seen we were in a dark small room, and unfortunately this wasn't even the room we planned on filming on. We thought we were going to have a stage with stage lights available to us, but the stage was being used by someone else! That's why I am particularly happy because this random mess up of a situation turned out not so bad. :]

• That is the true joy of filmmaking... when an issue turns into something golden.

• I also shot this video with very minimal lighting. All I used was a flood light, small led light, and a red blanket.

• Like the look of the video and it has some nice production value. Nice job! ...but I hate covers. ...with a passion. Sorry. I know it wasn't you and it's slightly OT... but it's just a pet peeve of mine. Can't help it. :p

• @DeShonDixon Good work, could you attach please an image to make me understand what kind of led light have you used?

@deturbanator thanks for all the information about worlights used as backlight.Your worklight wasn't snooted or have barndoors to control light?

• No the worklight I bought did not home with barndoors, but im sure you could put some together in a DIY project. I know they also sell LED worklights at home depot for around 60$, and it produces a more focus light, but it isnt as strong as the normal worklamp.

• This looks good considering the resources available. But let's be honest, you can get better results with a full inventory of pro lights. So "Who needs big budget lighting???" People who want the best possible look want it.

• This looks really good, but not everyone just shoots closeups at wide apertures.

• Nice vid, minimal, but great outcome- except for the bridge, where you put the cam beside her and she looks straight in the other direction, a little distracting. Also, I liked the song very much, until i read it is a coversong, which always makes me wonder why people dont sing their own songs, I bet they have some great ones already! :) they seem talented.