Personal View site logo
GH3/GH2/GH1 Cage CNC Solid Block Aluminium Development
  • Firstly I would like to thank everyone's input regarding the GH2 as well as details about cage requirements throughout Personal View. VK I like that you say things as it is... also all developers thank you and well done with the "The Great Camera Shootout" results!

I'm currently finalising Cad drawings for the Cage, my idea is to make a cage that would complement the GH2 visually as well as being practical in a profesional environment.

I know we would like all bells and wistles (anything can be made or added) but please keep in mind that i need to keep the cost down as so far machining time looks to be around one hour per cage plus black hard anodising plus included accesories ie; HDMI clamp . Saying that i would like to price it realistically. So far i'm very exited, the Cage looks very professional. I will attach pics as soon as i finish drawings sometime next week. If all goes well we could have a batch of 25 in a 2-3 weeks.

A bit about me, I've enjoyed building film equipment as much as i have using a camera. Thus far i've build and tweaked various rigs ie; stabliser, motorised timelapse slider, follow focus rig. I've also played around with converting bolex lenses for Micro 43, some 8mm lenses do work with the GH2 EX Tele Conv Mode with great results. I started using the GF1 when the hack talks was still on another forum, and i'm now using a GH2. I am passionate about seeing professional equipment becoming more accessible for all filmakers to focus on creativity to tell their stories.

I am based near Richmond in the UK where the cage will be made.

I appreciate any input regarding this venture.

• 35 Replies sorted by
  • @jakef

I have simple policy here.

Make the actual product, make all other necessary things, after this start telling about it and offer to buy. Not in reverse order.

• @Vitaliy_Kiselev Thanks, noted I understand respect your policy, currently I'm machining the cage prototype next week so that if any changes needs to be made they can be made to get it right. As soon as that is ready 25 will be produced that is already paid for. 2-3 weeks if all goes well.

Below is what me and Feha @ have currently discussed. @feha Thanks, just started a new topic, i will see what i can do. Anyone near Richmond UK that have a Varavon loupe that i can measure? (How busy are you Mr. Philip Bloom.. ha ha)

You are right I don't think anything or venture is guaranteed and without any risks but i'm trying hard to take most of the risks. I am currently financing the development and initial production of the first 25 or so.

Just in case anyone is wondering about quality; the factory i'm using also makes parts for Formula 1 racing and the Military Aerospace.

• I have only ever had a few custom RC car parts made, and on a hobby based machines. The guy at the car club who does it always machines from hard ABS first, to save protyping costs. I do not know if that sort of procedure is relevent in your case

• Oh Gawd, not again...

• Lol...

• We are currently dealing with installing and dedicating CNC machines for the rig equipment and they are now being set up and calibrated, I'm really itching to get the prototype machined, I'm really hoping its this weekend... At least i have a few extra days to run through the designs.

@alcomposer i understand your frustration, i'd probably have the same reaction. i see that you got your hopes up previously and nothing materialised. Sympathy for that guy though its not that simple to balance the product design process/prototyping/testing/manufacturing/sourcing materials/legalities/tax/distribution practicalities/packaging/finances etc.

@kavadni thanks for your interest, i think hobby CNC machines's are very interesting. using ABS or Delrin would only save a bit of machining time. Cost wise; one aluminium block wont really make a big difference, also its good to use the actual production material in your prototype to see how the machine responds and precision of finish

• @Vitaliy_Kiselev 10 Prototypes will be finished on Wednesday. I thought it was worth seeing if the GH3 dimensions would fit too.

Suitable for GH1,GH2,GH3 possible others.

Adjustable camera placement in cage.

Height adjustable base

Matt black hard anodised cage.

1/4 and 3/8 standard holes.

Red spacing.

Top handle.

Two top handles can also bolt to the 45 angle sides.

Adjustable HDMI clamp. (can go left or right of cage)

The handle is currently a test handle but plain leather round handle may be better

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzphoto-17.jpg
    1632 x 1224 - 804K
    zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzphoto-18.jpg
    1632 x 1224 - 672K
  • Glad to see you're making progress on this cage. Do you know if there will be full access to controls and sd cards on the larger GH3?

• I got a new DSLR cage perfect for GH3, here is my short preview:

Full video review coming later ...

This cage is made by our forum member: @jakef

• Any pics of the cage with a GH3? I am extrememly interested in getting 2 well built - custom fit GH3 cages with rod support. So far, I can't find a single GH3 cage anywhere!

• Sweet, looks really nice and solid! How much does it cost?

• Looks really nice! Any idea on price and availability

• Please you can direct all questions about availability/price etc to : @jakef (he is our forum member)

• That looks pretty damn solid!

• I will be soon making a full video review ...

• Looks great .. and for GH2 and GH3 makes it more flexible than the ReWO cage. Think i'm going to sell mine and buy this one

• Is this for sale yet?

• @CarlosMorillo i think yes, but you can PM him at : @jakef ,

• Cool! It looks like the top slot for the hot shoe mount needs be opened all the way to the back like the dcage to facilitate a proper fit. Otherwise excellent!

• I've decided I would REALLY like this cage. We just gor our GH3s in and didnt realize the controls so were so close to the top of the camera frame. It looks like you need that extra space after all (unlike the GH2). I've messaged Jake multiple times but he hasn;t gotten back to me yet. These are still for sale right?

• Jake, please message or email me. Would like to order ASAP.

• Hi everyone I've had quite a few emails and questions regarding this cage this week. it didn't look like people were that interested when i initially posted the images so I put the project on the side. I only have 8 complete prototypes as in the images except for the leather on the grips. i may do a batch if enough people are serious and interested. but it would need to be at least 30 to 50 @ around £350 plus postage per set.
    Regards Jake

• Sounds great. I'll take two cages with 15mm rod support (no handles). Please email/message me back.

• Also... If you put the cage up for "pre-order" at your webites, I'm sure the community could help spread the link around so people can order it.

• @jakef Still no message from you regarding wanting 2 cages to start. I guess there's no real interest in making any more of these then? I've been trying to get a personal response from you for quite some time now.