Personal View site logo
If El Mariachi and Primer cost $7000, why can't you do it cheaper? Here's why.
  • 73 Replies sorted by
  • Anyone who wants to be a feature film director should go for it and start small with a no budget feature. If you really have it, your talent will shine in that format. If you don't have it, and the film turns out to be s**t, you can try again having learned from your mistakes and you won't have mortgaged your house for your "art" because you've spent very little money on the films. Of course, Paranormal Activity, Primer etc. are all one in a million, i.e. micro budget films that made decent or huge money. Will that happen to you? Probably not. But an excellent micro budget film you can show will do one thing for you - GET YOU A JOB. I've been in the mainstream feature film business 32 years in various capacities from producer, writer to director and one thing has never changed -- Studios LOVE to find that next genius. And they WILL hire you to direct a medium to sometimes high budget film based on a great micro budget feature that you have directed - especially if it's something you've WRITTEN and DIRECTED. IMHO the studios do this to their detriment most of the time, but they keep doing it. Most of the 'shorts' I watch that are linked to on this forum are pretty pathetic but I admire the hell out anyone who has the guts to make one and show it. That's how you learn.

• The tools have never been more accessible.

My team and I raised over $50k to make a feature length film. At that price we managed to bring minor name talent, exceptional actors, a great director, and garner major news coverage.

Of course, the production values and technical quality are often quite good in ultra low budget films I see. The four things lacking are always the same: 1) quality of scene writing 2) quality of acting (strongly correlated with number 1) 3) quality of editing to emphasize the two things above. (pacing) 4) boldness of cinematography and planning for an edit(watch Breaking Bad for boldness and plan some match cuts)

• @shian - Congrats on making Singularity at that price. It's quite an accomplishment. It is difficult to scale up to a feature at similar prices because all the complexities creep up disproportionately from a short.

I've written and directed a couple of features with some known actors that have been released. I've stepped away from features for a while because I think that Internet Television series are a much better format for creators in many ways. My new company's first series DIVERGENCE is an action/sci-fi series made very inexpensively. http://WhatIsDivergence.com but I think we got a lot out of it.

Trailer:

• @ endotoxic Looks like some great work there brother

• @shian Where can we see the full film?

• @shian Yeah, is there any way to buy it as a digital release or whatever? I would gladly pay to watch the full movie.

• I don't think the chances are quite one-in-a-million. There's only about 3000 features made in the US every year.

I thought I was ready to make a feature, but went for a 25 min short instead. It was a great learning experience, mostly when a packed house on opening night was slightly underwhelmed. It was immediately apparent that story still is king and all the technical achievement in the world won't change that.

• @yeehaanow

Boy that's a completely different topic, but I definitely disagree with you. Of course, everyone's free to have their opinion on it.

• I agree with @Kae once again. Being a great director and filmmaker is, in itself, a one in a million occurrence. People like to think that "if you put in your time" or gain "professional experience" you'll one day have the skills to make a quality film. But I really don't think it works like this. A director's vision is a gift, they're people that literally see movies in their head... with music, editing, ect all there. Robert Rodriguez and people like that have rare minds... he can draw, paint, compose music, write, ect... he was literally born with 8 different gifts. Few people are lucky enough to have 1 or 2. 90% of people have 0.

I do believe that if you really have the skills, I think it'll show no matter how low of a budget or how little resources you have. And like Kae said again... out of all the shorts, forum "script fests", and internet pitches I've seen in the last 4 years... I don't even think I've seen one that I would go see in a theater... even if they had a hollywood budget and crew.

Then there is also the problem of escalation. You're going to need even MORE talent than someone like Kevin Smith or Robert Rodriguez had. To break through today, on top of being a good writer/director... you're going to need to be a GREAT cinematographer, composer, editor, VFX artist, and bla bla bla. Look at movies like Monsters and Bellflower. The stakes keep getting higher and higher for the no-budget arena. If you can't write, direct, edit, shoot, compose all by yourself... I wouldn't even attempt to make a feature these days. But still, if you've got the goods. You've got the goods.

Good luck to everyone though! I hope we see a game-changing indie production come out soon that's not just some trite garbage like that "Tiny Furniture" movie. ;)

• If you can't write, direct, edit, shoot, compose all by yourself... I wouldn't even attempt to make a film these days.

I think it is absolutely wrong approach.
    As real progress is in the team work.
    Most of indie films looks so shitty exactly because people "write, direct, edit, shoot, compose all by themselfs".

I also do not support idea about "one in a million". Yes, learning only directing skills is not enough, as many things are determinated by your childhood and your life expirience. But mostly it is hard work. And tight control from people who provide money :-)

• "Most of indie films looks so shitty exactly because people "write, direct, edit, shoot, compose all by themselfs"."

This is true. But it's also how you cut corners and bring in something great on an indie budget. Got to save money somewhere. Indie films are a bitch.

I was also being a little facetious. :) You obviously need team-work, but I was trying to make the point that you need to know ALLOT more these days than in the time of Mr. Rodriguez and Kevin Smith.

But on a serious note, I really don't know how you can direct and create a "mise en scene", without being a good editor and cinematographer first. They are the language and building blocks of cinema.

• @Bwhitz

"*Good luck to everyone though! I hope we see a game-changing indie production come out soon that's not just some trite garbage like that "Tiny Furniture" movie. *"

That "trite garbage" got one very lucky 25-year old girl an HBO series, and a writing/directing deal with Scott Rudin, and who knows what else.

This should tell you something: that it helps to have some talent, but the movie business is not a meritocracy! Besides, very few people are born with filmmaking skills. Without opportunities -- such as real budgets and real crews -- who knows what talents never have a chance to develop. Note also that the people who typically emerge from very low budget filmmaking are rarely great talents. Love or hate them, Rodriquez and Smith are far from being world-class filmmakers.

If you expect to triumph on personal talent alone, film is the wrong art-form for you.

• "Love or hate them, Rodriquez and Smith are far from being world-class filmmakers."

Well, that's all in the eye of the viewer sir. I would certainly say they are. If nothing else, for the fact that they literally make their own films. Most "world-class" directors, for one reason or another, just so happen to work with the best cinematographers, editors, and composers money can buy. So I wouldn't even call some of "the best" directors real film makers at all.

• "...i cant take a no for an answer..."

Now that's the real secret. If it's no-budget or Hollywood blockbuster, it most always comes down to just that. Every film is a war you have to fight nearly everyone, day after day to complete, regardless of budget. Do you really think anyone could talk James Cameron out of finishing Titanic? Even when everyone was telling him to stop? It doesn't get easier with big money. It gets harder. More strong personalities. More veto power spread out wider. Hollywood isn't easier in any way. You just get better craft services on set...

If it's easier for you to make the movie than live with not making the movie, the movie will get done. Musicians are similar. The successful ones just can't stop themselves from playing every chance they get, and playing better every time they pick up an instrument. You bump into them in major studio sessions, and yes, they are the ones that always have the instruments in their hand, playing away, loudly or quietly, even when others are trying to listen back to what was just recorded. It's like an itch. Some just can't figure out how to stop. Tony Bennett is 85 years old, and will be on the road until someone locks him up in a coffin.

And yes, having editing experience in advance is often critical to film making success. If not, most people end up shooting a bunch of repetitive stuff and don't have enough coverage to assemble a compelling, interesting, breathing story in the end that can entertain a variety of people in the same theater.

The real curse is on people that think they have that level of passion, but in truth, find they don't. Film makers make films. It's as simple as that. If you are not making/finishing films, just get it through your head, that you are just not a film maker yet. Why aren't you? Why haven't you? It's a terrible discussion to have with yourself. But it's extremely import discussion to have for your own sanity. Yeah, with today's technology, it surely isn't entry price...(And if you are really involved in making/finishing films, big or small, yes, you are probably completely crazy too. You are likely doing it as it's easier to just do it than to stop. Trust me, I talk to very well paid people, hands on making Hollywood top 20 films everyday. 1/2 want to quit and do something else, just to get their sanity in check again.)

You are A or B. No middle ground. Are you completing films or not? Sorry to be brutal. But it's good to know yourself. Then if you like, and you really do want to change you life. Then finish films or quit it. Just don't fool yourself and think you are something you are not. If you are finishing films, you will likely not care that much if people adore your work or not. But your biggest motivation then is to get funded for your next project. Previous success makes that easier to get funding, but remember, you are always selling your creative soul to complete idiots in exchange...

• @Kholi I'm talking more about succeeding in an artistic sense rather than a commercial sense. Two different goals, that sometimes overlap. The way I see it, the commercial side has a lot to do with marketing, while the artistic side is about captivating people with a great story and relying on word of mouth. Who knows! There's a million ways to skin a cat. I think somebody will make the next "El Mariachi". Just want it to be me. :)

• All love, but I meet "amazing artist" literally everyday who never have actually finished a film or a song. I always ask students and local pros that want a big break into "the Hollywood 480"s this question: "Sure. Show me what you have completed. Right now. If so, you would have it on your phone, computer or iPod, don't you? You can send me a link to your completed movie so I can watch it? If not, how do you know you are amazing?" No one really has any idea what kind of true artist they are until they complete and release their creations. Until then, people are just "want to be's." All love. That's not good or bad. It just is. This is no judgement or praise on you or anyone else. It's just the reality of life.

Robert completed and put out El Mariachi. And a bunch of other films, with some which are pretty amazing in their market. And all, through multiple distribution, made money. Some may not like his style. Others do. But he does it and delivers completed films. He still cuts in his garage. (It's a much, much nicer garage now...) Spend any time in his studio with him, and you know he is a driven man who can and does rev up a great team and he completes his projects. He presents his vision and they march in to the film making war with him. He is a proven artist in his own styles. And people pay to watch it.

Dude. I want it to be you too. Really, I do. Do it.

• @TheNewDeal

Most of a filmmaker's time these days is spent raising money and trying to sell projects. The disposition which compels people to work alone, day after day, mastering the craft and plumbing the depths in more traditional art forms (the solitary ones like writing, music composition, painting, etc.), demands a very different kind of motivation and will kill most filmmaking careers -- one reason, maybe, that hundreds of millions of dollars routinely go into material which looks like it came from the mind of a male adolescent and is far worse than it needs to be, even by commercial standards.

The kind of motivational zeal you describe may well be essential for unknowns, and certainly worked out well for Robert Rodriquez, but it just doesn't account for many professional successes in the movie business. Do you really believe, for example, that Sophia Coppola or Clint Eastwood or Ron Howard would have succeeded as directors, if that had had to do it on their own, starting from zero?

Besides, the medium speaks for itself. It's not a place for "amazing artists" (to use your term). What we get is James Cameron, Robert Rodriquez, Clint Eastwood and Sophia Coppola -- not Shakespeare, Picasso or Mozart. There's a reason why.

• @jrd You honestly believe Cameron and Eastwood are bad directors? I can understand not liking Rodriquez and Sofia is massively overrated if not mediocre. And Eastwood is not a very good actor. He's always Eastwood, so to go from Dirty Harry to directing 30+ features including Unforgiven, that's not "who you know", that's talent and drive.

• @CRFilms

No, I don't believe they're "bad directors" (not that either of them consults me on the matter!). Just that they've enjoyed enormous advantages, have had tremendous luck, have good commercial instincts (or share the tastes of the mass-market, if we want to be unkind) and are privileged to work in an industry full of people who offer any Hollywood production very high levels of technical accomplishment.

Consider Clint Eastwood. Here we have a mediocre actor with no prior writing/narrative experience, and who does not appear to have a towering intellect -- he is a public figure, after all -- but he becomes a top Hollywood director, one of a handful.

By contrast, how many formerly famous actors have become great novelists, violinists, philosophers or painters? What does that say about the movie business and the directing profession?

• I personally think that being a director is about vision, I dream about my movie several times and when i got there and turn on the camera, people help me to make that vision happen, its about you how you direct them, and use their abilities for making your vision happen. Its not about money any more, not in my case. I live in Perú, i have no hollywood, or webisode to make money, i work for it, just like everyone here, i have my job, and with that i can make my dreams (art).

Just like when you paint a canvas, you buy the canvas, buy the paitings, the pincel, and finally you get to paint, but IF SOMEONE PAINT FOR YOURSELF then that painting is not yours anymore. I SEE MOVIE LIKE THAT, nobody cant take your vission away, or say you to do that or that way, imagine telling Dali how is the right way to paint. Everybody has its own style and personal view, like @TheNewDeal said, finish the movies. I think is the most important part. I see many of you work for the industry, i dont, and i dont make my movie to work there, i just do it cos i feel i have too, i dont care if its get buyed or not. People are used here and everywhere to think movies is for money. For me movies is for making you feel, sense something that was in the mind of someone else, just like music, paiting, writing, the diference is that this is NOT PERSONAL, you must "paint, write and CREATE with the use of other talent that is your crew. That is the diference of making this art work. Imagine paiting with a 20 people crew in a canvas, and try to direct them to make your vision work, kind of strange and dificult task, well, movies i see them like that cos, at the end, you see through the view finder for just some seconds, pres rec and all the work from you and the people arround you takes life for only a few seconds, only trough the view finder, its like seeing a canvas move, its AMAZING!!! I used to paint, make music, write, and all that stuff that finally can get inside a movie in a way or another, cos you can cann all that inside, is a way of feeling and sensing your art, nothing more or less.

Cheers for those that work movie for money, i work movie for sensing, feeling, for me its still an art not a money making machine, if that comes along, well, its welcome.

• Cheers for those that work movie for money, i work movie for sensing, feeling, for me its still an art not a money making machine, if that comes along, well, its welcome.

I think it is bad position. To make any good movie you need a bunch of money. If after shooting you make film that can not return this money it is not called "this is amazing art that few people can understand", it is called "getting money and never returning them under false pretense, as you made shit film or average film that you are unable to sell to public".

• From my experience, about 1/2 who work in the industry are fairly "disconnected" and it's just another job for them. Many of those are in the industry just because their parents worked in the industry and it was an easy path to a good paying job. Good for them. It's a good job, and we need there experience and skills.

The other 1/2 work in the industry as it is a constant learning experience, and it funds their own private creative obsessions too. You learn a lot about directing when you work with directors every day and watch footage everyday. What you feel works and what you feel doesn't work. The hours are often long and unreasonable compared to most any other job. But you also get the rare opportunity to swim in and around many amazing crafts, including critical things like amazing food service and drivers as skilled artists. Trust me. When someone has a great idea, you can easily find a crew of friends from your work to dive in and share your passion to complete your idea. For free. Just because we are just as curious and obsessed as you. Someone shared their vision, and we are hooked too. While many in the industry are very disconnected, there are just as many others that are here because we are addicted to those days we get to work with amazing talent. Some are famous, but many, many others are inside the crafts that most will never get a chance to experience and enjoy.

A great movie is a great movie. Budget doesn't make a great movie. Directors, talent, crew, and editing do.

Look at just three of the best movies which were by "first time" directors, over a span of 70 years. (Reality is these were usually their 20th completed creative project, as they all worked in the biz in some way before doing this, but they all didn't follow many of the traditional rules...)

Citizen Kane Reservoir Dogs American Beauty

Watch those three movies again. Be comfortable just doing what you want. They did. Yes, the world may not praise you as a new god, and throw silly money at you. But you will have proven to yourself you can complete it and you will be a better person for doing it. And you will quickly see what you do well, what you need to learn, and where you need help to make your next vision really deliver. And then other obsessed people will see and step up to help you. Just, they will never know they want to work with you until you do something. Just do it.

Everyone respects anyone who has completed any movie over anyone who hasn't... Go to war. Either carry all the bags yourself or find/keep your troops motivated. Just do it.

• @Vitaliy_Kiselev

i dont think is a bad position. Bunch of money, in what economy, here you dont need that much to make it happen. I dont ask for money so i dont have to return nothing, i put my own money, just like when you buy your own pen and book for writing. I spect no return from this, just finish it. And about that comment :

"getting money and never returning them under false pretense, as you made shit film or average film that you are unable to sell to public".

I dont understand why is that to do in my position? I have made no false pretense, or shit film, or avare film, im not selling it to anyone, i just making movie, 2 hours long, for sharing with other to see, i spect no more thant a critic in form of return for improving next time.

• Most of indie films looks so shitty exactly because people "write, direct, edit, shoot, compose all by themselfs....

well - this comment pertained to 'indie'. The moment James Cameron does this we call him superman. Just goes to show- if you are going to do something, make sure that it doesn't SUCK first.

• Here is how I look this:

First approach - "Indie" guy who very small or now team doing all by himself, spending his own money and getting few views on youtube, constantly talking about amazing hidden art value in his works. This is just hobby.

Second approach - Guy who invest time to make a team, sometimes not very skillled team, get enough funding and who understand how they could return this funding (and this is really harder than shoot something). He make the film, learn how to work with people and helps them improve their skills during this work. And aftert this he also interact with sales and marketing professionals and always return the money with profit. This is professional work, even if you are beginner.