Personal View site logo
Tilta rig, follow focus, matte box, kits
  • 86 Replies sorted by
  • Tilta FF is at my point of vue, really well build and really good.

• JDN, so you have this "shoulder rig" from Tilta? Just my opinion but this is terminator ridiculous. You want to have tilta FF and where precision counts but this is new ARRI, every micromillimeter counts (and costs).... Looking good though, offcourse, hope you are loving it too... If some new technology came out of it, like electronic FF or moving head that can be preprogrammed by any means, it would be NICE! In the meantime, this is just "my dad has a bigger tank than your dad" (and it costs less than Arri). Call Philip Bloom, oh wait, he's already in a relationship!

• @Vitaliy_Kiselev Hi, I bought the Complete solution with rig, FF and MB and would like to write a review about how I used it on my first shoot. Is this the place to post or should I be posting somewhere else?

• Hi everyone,

I have two questions; -Do you think that Tilta and Lanparte will upgrade their rig this year? Like a new version every year? -Vitaliy, would it be interesting to have a deal for a Tilta rig kit less equipped (like the Lanparte), and how much would it cost, same price than Lanparte?

Thanks in advance. Regards

• Nope -- that's not the one I got. I got the other one, I think sometimes referred to as "KIT B".

I ended up using the rail piece that was meant for the camera to hold the mixer and recorder (which doubled as a counterweight). I modded the original counterweight holder to hold my Dtap battery that powers everything through a bds, and then had a spare cavision rail mount which I used to mount the camera. Hope that helps.

• @JDN , thanks for helping me. My concern is about the shoulder pad. On Tilta website, the camera baseplate looks attached to it, but, on your pictures, it's obviously 2 different parts. Is this the shoulder pad you have?

Did you buy the complete Tilta rig? What extra items did you have to purchase?

TiltaShoulderPad.png
    772 x 520 - 99K
  • @MorphoV and @Raysito22, sorry, looked through my stills and can't find a picture of me with it on my shoulder but here's a pic from the field. Let me know what specific questions you have -- happy to help the group.

IMG_3897.JPG
    3648 x 2736 - 4M
  • @Raysito22 It seems that @JDN has extra gear than what's part of the Tilta kit. I thought the camera baseplate was attached to the shoulder pad. According to the picture you're pointing, it's not, which is good news. Anyway I'd still be glad if someone was kind enough to send a picture showing someone with the Tilta kit on his shoulder... or explaining exactly what is missing in the kit, to have the camera in front of the operator, and not on his side.

• Tilta FF is quite good, very sturdy, very low backlash (none at all if you move it one fraction of a millimeter away from the geared ring so that the FF and the ring are not pressed against each other -this tip also work for almost all FF- ). The two friction levels work great, feels like a real fluid friction system.

The whips are great and fit perfectly, the speedcrank is very hard to insert and remove at first but things gets better as you use, insert and remove it.

The Lanparte FF seems to be on the same overall quality level as the Tilta.

• BTW as I already told Vitaly, I'm really interested in the Tilta rig.

And?

Anybody who can give me advice about its follow focus at least?

It is considered the best FF, as I know. Their and Lanparte one.

• @Morphov looking at the picture JDN posted it looks like the should pad can be adjusted way back, or is it just me seeing it?

BTW as I already told Vitaly, I'm really interested in the Tilta rig. Anybody who can give me advice about its follow focus at least? My intention is to mount a full rig to use with Voigtlander 25mm, Helios 44-2, and Nikkor lenses adapted via Novoflex (14-24, 24-70, 70-200, 105 macro). Really interesting if it worked all ok with the FF, as the Mattebox would give me the option to use 4x4 Lightcraft workshop ND Digi Pro filters with the 14-24 (it's such a superb lens...). Thanks.

• Anyone care to comment on the matte box filter holders? Some of the reviews for other PRC-made matte boxes mention that the holders are a weak point. The Tilta one here looks VERY legit though.

• I hope someone will post a full review of the Tilta big rig soon.

• I got my rig a while ago and they make the most solid rigs out of all the other Chinese manufacturers. Shoulder pad is in a good place under the camera body (using an AF100), adjustable front rod height, carbon fibre matte box, solid monitor arm, good top handle, and rosette handgrips. FF is also good. Their FF is the undamped type and has a very little bit of backlash but it's negligible. Couldn't be happier to get all this for the price.

The rig is very heavy, though, and you'll want some sort of counterweight on the rear rods.

• I emailed Huang and she sent me some advised. See the attached photos she sent me.

MB-003.jpg
    800 x 1071 - 564K
    BP-003.jpg
    800 x 1071 - 558K
  • How did you fix it?

• Nevermind fixed it now :)

• Forgot the attach file.

UMC_1409 copy.jpg
    1064 x 708 - 234K
  • Just got my kit TT-V3-C today. It seems that GH2 is too low so the lens couldn't get matched with the matte box correctly. Is there any riser or way to fix this?

Thanks.

• Tilta Rig in the field for those who are curious.

SwampShooting.jpg
    3648 x 2736 - 2M
  • @JDN Ordered some tilta stuff myself and I'm looking forward to it soon. I'm glad you feel the build quality is as good as it looks. Any other thoughts appreciated, especially any follow focus comparisons. Thanks.

• Just received my Kit B .

All I can say so far is "Wow". The focus follow alone is probably worth most of the price of purchase. Movement is smooth and the stops are super easy to set. Mine came with two different whips and a crank which is kina overkill, but hey, I"m not complaining.

Erganomics feel great -- I need to be able to see if my camera is recording, so the on-the-shoulder large rig was out of the the questions. This is perfect though. Handles very sturdy, can set at a wide range of angles. Probably will just use my mix pre D and tascam in place of the counterweights at the back. Feels rock solid tho'

Gonna put it through its paces on a two week shoot in the everglades and report back with a more detailed review then.

ff_alone.jpg
    595 x 528 - 57K
    ff_kit.jpg
    752 x 419 - 69K
    ff_kit1.jpg
    698 x 770 - 83K
    ff_rig.jpg
    800 x 528 - 51K
    ff_rig1.jpg
    800 x 301 - 46K
    handles.jpg
    760 x 469 - 40K
    handles1.jpg
    781 x 518 - 72K
    matte_box.jpg
    800 x 798 - 107K
  • Any news of the Tilta rig review ?

• I´m doing a review on my blog anyway, I gonna link it here of course.
    I have a ton of work in the moment, so give me a few days.

Frank