Personal View site logo
On "professional" interfaces
  • USB 3.0 Cables

I see absolutely no issue for using USB 3.0 locking cables.
    They are suitable for any reasonable compressed raw footage transfer.

HDMI Cables

http://www.gefen.com/kvm/dcable.jsp?prod_id=5734

Absolutely nothing prevents to order custom HDMI cables from China with USB 3.0 (old ports style) locking. If you do it for your costly hardware.

• 4 Replies sorted by
  • I don't get it. I see the screws on the cables, but where are the screw holes on the equipment?

• @Ralph_B

This cables are made for custom hardware mostly.
    So, if you are making camera or viewfinder/monitor you can have threaded holes for such connections.

USB 3.0 is ideal universal connector for low end video equipment, as it allow to attach many things, including remotes, monitors with touch support, drives, phones/tablets, etc.

• @ VK- I think you're just trying to delay the inevitable- Thunderbolt is gonna take over the world!

Well…for five years, maybe. Whatever is the cheapest to produce for however large the market... while anything that can be classified as "pro' will cost ten times what it's worth.

But at some point some kind of standard will be enforced and thinking about I/O connections will drift into memory

• Apple failed to popularize FireWire and MiniDisplayPort. USB 3.0 cable is a way cheaper than Thunderbolt cable.