Personal View site logo
Olympus EM-5 topic
  • 386 Replies sorted by
  • @Alex That's beautiful cloud, sir!

BTW if the camera gives less rolling shutter and less jellos, and more DR, why not use it with a rig? Or you want Gh3 instead?

• @Alex

Sensor based stablization and video are not good company (as you need to cool sensor :-) )

• stills from this camera compare to the top of the line APS-H cameras (Nikon D7000 or even full frame cameras). Fuck tiny buttons - it really hurts to have to let this camera go. But it hurts even more that Olympus fucked up another video opportunity.

• @Alex

May be guys from BM use this sensor and not Fairchild? :-)

• über flat

P4250066_25.04.2012 21.53.10.png
    1920 x 1296 - 2M
    P4240036_25.04.2012 21.57.52.png
    1920 x 1296 - 1M
  • HACK MEEEE!!!

P4250064_25.04.2012 21.47.19.png
    1920 x 1296 - 3M
  • before I have to return my overpriced preorder E-M5 to Amazon, I still want to see how good DR and highlight roll off is rendered by this camera. Today I shuttled through all the settings and picture profiles to find a flat setup. This is where the E-M5 shines! There are many options to fine tune the image:

1. shaping an extreme curve that brightens the shadows and darkens the highlights
    2. selecting a picture mode -> "Custom"
    3. Setting up the custom mode by choosing base color mode -> "Muted"
    4. Contrast, Sharpness, Saturation all set to -2
    5. next there is the option "Gradation" where you can select auto, normal, high key and low key. I set this to "normal" before having tested the effect.
    6. Noise reduction is a global setting and I turned it off.

now the image can really be considered to be FLAT!!

Photo 25.04.12 21 21 59.jpg
    1707 x 1604 - 531K
    P4250063_25.04.2012 21.05.19.png
    1920 x 1296 - 2M
  • Other than the misinformation about IBIS, E-M5 has vastly improved rolling shutter and jello effects. That's a good progress, but Olympus gotta correct the misinformation.

• What a sophisticatedly crippled piece of a hardware! I guess there was a dedicated team involved who's task was specifically prevent it from functioning normally. I can't explain this case without evil conspiracy plan ;)

• On GH2, I click on LCD or press the thumb button to zoom in when using MF lens.

• next bummer: I can't figure out how to activate the focus assistant for manual lenses. I enabled this function in the AF/MF menu: MF ASSIST -> on. Now, if I use any AF lens it dose this auto zoom in when I switch to manual focus. On the GH2 you can assign this feature to the button you like. On the e-m5 it seems not to be assignable. So, no focus assistant with manual lenses?!

• Official Olympus page says E-M5 uses “Image sensor shift type for movie & still, 5-axis image stabilization”. So it’s just half true.

I watched a few youtube clips from E-M5. Definitely there were less rolling shutter and jello effects, but there seemed pulses of zooming in/out effects. At first I thought it must have been lens breathing. Now it makes sense. Software IS. No difference from E-P3. Seriously why didn’t name it E-P5 instead of E-M5?

@Alex Hope you feel better about finding about it sooner rather than later.

• @Alex

This is extremely bad news.
    Pentax cameras use stabilizer quite normally in video.

• Boooo! That's more than a bummer. Cheers for clarifying that, Alex. However, the software stabilization seems to be impressively effective as we may see from the sample videos.

• ok, here are the facts:

• IBIS is working for all types of lenses but only in photo mode. I had to reset all the setting and than the IBIS came back to life.
    • the video mode is using software IS but only for lenses that can be identified by the camera.

• no 5-achsis IBIS in video mode

• no IS at all for manual lenses in video mode
  • Bummer. Olympus gotta fix the issue.

What about 17.5mm test? Did it stabilize the footage?

• Yes, you can Set the focal length but it doesn't help. No IS with adapted lenses so far ...

• @joesiv If that's true, that's great. Where exactly in the menu to set the focal length? Thanks.

• Man this 5-axis IS is the shit.

• @stonebat the EM-5 indeed uses sensor IS for video, which is a first for an a Olympus m43 body.

@Alex, did you set the focal length manually for the non-native lens'?

• BTW I heard E-M5 gives 13 stops dynamic range on RAW photos. Amazing.

• When you have time, please try it in a very quiet room. Otherwise the noise from sensor shift can't be heard when you use 20.7mm for taking photo. Thanks for the test.

• yes, I'll soon give the 17.5mm a try when I'm back from work ...

• even if I use a m43 lens where I can clearly see the IS kicking in, there is no noise. No matter if I'm in video or photo mode. The noise only occurred when I pressed the menu button ...

It could be that the IS in video mode is an old software only approach. That would be kind of a let down!

• Let me ask you one more favor. Try your 17.5mm 0.95. See if video frames get stabilized. If yes, it's 100% software based.