Personal View site logo
Google Drive
  • It is really cheap. Good for backups or your uncompressed footage.

• 34 Replies sorted by
  • Sharing

After reading about sharing on the features page, I wonder if they will force individuals to sign-up for an account in order to view shared content. It is a deal breaker... similar to creating pristine video in .RM format and then forcing the viewer to install Real Player to access the content.

• You need to check yourself. As far as I understand it is not the case. In Dropbox you can now share any file by just providing simple link.

• As John Gruber said, “Sure, I trust Google to index the contents of all my files. Why not?”

• LOL

I think in few years they'll be paying you and all OSs will have functions that you won't be able to turn off that will mirror all files to their cloud. Just for safety :-)

• Google=Skynet.

• Also: http://www.google.com/policies/terms/#toc-content

When you upload or otherwise submit content to our Services, you give Google (and those we work with) a worldwide license to use, host, store, reproduce, modify, create derivative works (such as those resulting from translations, adaptations or other changes we make so that your content works better with our Services), communicate, publish, publicly perform, publicly display and distribute such content.

Ain’t that sweet? Redefining the meaning of “open.”

• @Mr_Moore

Amazing find. So if you accidently backed up any of your work you are fucked.
    Btw according to this shit any accidental leak is not a leak any more, it is fully licensed authorised publishing :-)

• Yup. Note that the quote above doesn’t pertain just to Google Drive; it covers all their services.

• Hmm. From http://www.google.com/policies/privacy/

We may collect and store information (including personal information) locally on your device . . .
    We provide personal information to our affiliates or other trusted businesses or persons to process it for us, based on our instructions and in compliance with our Privacy Policy and any other appropriate confidentiality and security measures.

We’ll have Google to fetch him away,
    Fetch him away, fetch him away.
    We’ll have Google to fetch him away
    On a cold and frosty morning.

• @Mr_Moore Gruber is a pathetic Apple fanboy that complains about EVERYTHING that Google does. For me he is as intelligent as a cow that is shitting. I am not surprised if he is an external Apple PR employee.

Now I have said that:

Everything, I repeat EVERYTHING that you SHARE on the INTERNET you should consider as not private anymore. No matter what service, how you do it, your data is somewhere online and your ISP, the service you are using, the secret service, china, governments, hackers (no offense @Vitaliy_Kiselev) can probably obtain it if they want.

So if something is really private or sensible... don't put it ONLINE. That's the rule.

• @sohus amen

I'm still waiting for my Drive invite :( BTW if you were previosly paying to Picasa space, then you are grandfathered in and can keep the same plan. When I get Drive I will probably cancel my Dropbox since the the cost is more than 50% cheaper.

• @sohus

Gruber is a pathetic Apple fanboy that complains about EVERYTHING that Google does. For me he is as intelligent as a cow that is shitting.

Sorry, but the smell of this ad hominem fallacy overpowers that of all the cow droppings in the world. There’s no connection between being an Apple fanboy and complaining about certain Google practices. The second sentence is just a direct insult. Hence, I’ll ignore the point you’re making here. (I could equate you to a pathetic anti-Apple attacker, but that would be as pointless and senseless as it would be rude, so I won’t.)

Everything, I repeat EVERYTHING that you SHARE on the INTERNET you should consider as not private anymore. No matter what service, how you do it, your data is somewhere online and your ISP, the service you are using, the secret service, china, governments, hackers can probably obtain it if they want.

I think this is an absurd argument. It just doesn’t hold water, no matter how many capital letters you use.

Privacy must be guaranteed and protected. If there’s a potential for a breach in privacy protection, people must be aware of it. Extending your line of reasoning just a bit further makes it sound like nobody has any rights whatsoever, because, see, anything you possess (including property and, what’s more important, your life and freedom) could be snatched away from your by “the secret service, governments, thieves, murderers, etc.”

Do I have to take heed of your advice and consider my life worthless and unprotected? Does voicing my concerns about these issues automatically put me in the “pathetic democracy/basic human rights fanboy” camp?

• @sohus

Everything, I repeat EVERYTHING that you SHARE on the INTERNET you should consider as not private anymore.

You mean to say what? My email isn't mine? My credit card data isn't mine? Because it's somewhere on a server I should consider it not to be private? Pretty bold view on things.

Nobody is denying that Gruber is an Apple fan. Thing is, he scoops up some sensible stuff up too. Gruber is also not purely an Apple fan. He likes good design and has certain thinking. He even likes Windows Phone 7! Is that a pure Apple fanboy? If you read Gruber, he also critizes Apple's decisions many times. Gruber is not anti Android, Google, etc. He is against certain practices. At least, that's my view on him. And I do also question certain Google practices. Is that wrong?

It's also too easy to label someone a fanboy and not look at oneself. Everybody is a fan of something. It defines who we are, what we do and how we interact. It defines the choices we make.

• He is unfair to Google, Microsoft and may other companies. How is he not a fanboy? Gruber, Pogue and Mg Siegler are the most famous Apple fanboys on the Internet. If you deny that, you are ignorant (there are also plenty for Google). And please show me his posts where he criticizes Apple, they are very hard to find. Gruber is a blogger yet he is one of the few to get a first look at OS X Mountain Lion? Hmmm... what makes him special? Right, he is an Apple fanboy and a promotional puppet like Pogue and Siegler. When Google fucks up he is posting about it for 3 days, when Apple fucks up the FCPX launch he posts 1 article. Balanced right?

I use an iPhone, iPad, iMac and FCPX I use Google Services I use Dropbox I use Adobe software I use Microsoft software

So I am definitely not a fanboy of one brand. But Gruber is a PR toy. There are plenty of other journalists who really like Apple but they don't take every chance to make Google look evil. This specific remark on Google Drive... what is different than Google Desktop, that has been around for years and indexes your whole computer. What alternative is there to Google in search? Do you really believe that Microsoft won't mine your data?

And you guys don't understand what I said: - I don't say it isn't your private data, I said that if you put your data online there is a chance that because of a hack (see PSN) or a government request it won't be 'private'. So if you fear that your data won't be private, don't use online services and do everything the old way. Google isn't different from Apple, Facebook, Microsoft or any other company: they want your data. Saying otherwise is just painfully ignorant.

And being a fanboy is never good. You have to be objective and not blind with love. Gruber, Siegler are definitely blind with love. Go search the Internet, I am not the only one who noticed this. Too bad there are so many sheep in this world. I am no fanboy of no company, and criticize both Apple, Google and Microsoft when needed.

• @Mr_Moore I think in all fairness you needed to leave in the next sentence in the paragraph if not the whole section. "The rights you grant in this license are for the limited purpose of operating, promoting, and improving our Services, and to develop new ones. This license continues even if you stop using our Services (for example, for a business listing you have added to Google Maps). Some Services may offer you ways to access and remove content that has been provided to that Service." And I am nobody's fan boy they all only look at us as a way to make money. Like: Facebook they just want to help us keep in touch with our friends right - Not Adobe wants us to use there new $50 a month cloud service so they can keep us up to date - Not Must I go on.
    There's allot of good that comes from computers and the internet and there is allot of evil too. I sometimes think we might be better off back in the pen and pencil days. Of course they could steam open and read your mail but it was against the law the law needs to catch up.

• @sohus Well, to each his own rant, I'd say.

Gruber is an Apple fan who blogs about it. So? Many Android fans out there who blog about their thing. So? They rant about Apple. So? You rant about Gruber. So?

One could argue if you only give purely balanced views, nothing would be fun. So going over the top, being a fan, we do that because it's fun. And because it's ingrained in who we are. That's why we do certain things. That's why we choose something above something else. It's not purely the balanced view on things that make our decisions. No, most people have a fanaticism. Now you say, Gruber takes it too far. Okay. So? Makes it a bit fun sometimes. Besides, opposing views always give thought. If everything is all right, nothing is wrong, everything would really be fucked up.

• He can do what he wants. I will stop my rant. It is a shame though, as I really like some of his views and articles but I just don't want to read all the bullshit on his blog anymore to find that one good article. So he lost me and some other people as a reader. If he didn't shoot on all the others, I think he would have been higher regarded by the tech community. Anyway, his choice. Let's talk about Google Drive again.

• Everything, I repeat EVERYTHING that you SHARE on the INTERNET you should consider as not private anymore.

Sounds just horrible. As it is you who determinate with whom you share it.

• If you compare the other terms of service, Google's is really far beyond the others.

Dropbox:

“Your Stuff & Your Privacy: By using our Services you provide us with information, files, and folders that you submit to Dropbox (together, “your stuff”). You retain full ownership to your stuff. We don’t claim any ownership to any of it.”

SkyDrive:

"Your Content: Except for material that we license to you, we don’t claim ownership of the content you provide on the service. Your content remains your content. We also don’t control, verify, or endorse the content that you and others make available on the service."

• iCloud:

“Except for material we may license to you, Apple does not claim ownership of the materials and/or Content you submit or make available on the Service.”

• This reminds me of the copyright issues when the first VCRs came out. How can these clouds, keep copies of copyrighted material with no potential liability? Technically if you downloaded all METALLICA's music without paying, and you keep copies on your harddrive you'd broken the DMCA in the USA. So, if we call our computers Cloud storage, you can gather as much unlicensed software, movies and music with out liability?

• hahaha, my brain is also cloud storage from now on! The interface is a bit funky though ...

• Last Fall I enrolled the online Artificial Intelligence Class at Stanford University believing that at worst it would be a 15 year time travel into the past and that at best it would wake up my interest for AI again and keep me busy for a while. It turned out much better than I expected.

Meanwhile I stumbled into an interview by Professor Peter Norvig (which besides teaching this class is also Director of Research at Google). In this interview he paraphrased Willie Sutton (notorious bank robber) who when asked why he robbed banks simply answered "Because that's where the money is!"

So, Norvig was commenting on a foot note on his résumé where he asks people not to make him job offers. And he says that's he already has the best job in the world at Google "because that's were the DATA is."

BTW, even though I liked Sebastian Thrun's classes better, Norvig is a great professor too and he is also world champion of crazy shirt wearing, so extra points for him. :)

• @vitaliy_kiselev All companies that operate online (Yahoo, Facebook, Microsoft, Apple, Amazon, Google) are about data mining now. They might say that is not the case, but really that is the age where we live in. He with data is king.

Of course when you share something to only one person, it is still private but when you use an online service you have an increased risk of data leaks. Same with Facebook: they change things all the time and if you don't watch out, opt-in becomes opt-out and your data is suddenly public. Not the first time this happened.

What I tried to say is that everything you put online has a certain chance of becoming public. So be careful what you put online. And governments, CIA, hackers are watching... (see the Gmail hack earlier this year or the PSN breach).

And this Google ToS complaints are already adressed: http://www.theverge.com/2012/4/25/2973849/google-drive-terms-privacy-data-skydrive-dropbox-icloud

"In the end, though, the actual wording of these documents doesn't reveal much — they all set out to do the same thing, and they all accomplish their goals. What's most important is how much trust you're willing to give companies like Google, Microsoft, Apple, and Dropbox as more and more of your data moves to the cloud. Contracts are meaningful and important, but even the most noble promises can easily be broken. It's actions and history that have consequences, and companies that deal with user data on the web need to start building a history of squeaky-clean behavior before any of us can feel totally comfortable living in the cloud."

• time to encrypt and password-protect uploaded files.

WHERE IS YOUR DATA NOW Google