Personal View site logo
GH2 in 24p: noticeable "strobe effect" with any motion in frame?
  • 259 Replies sorted by
  • If each individual frame of a pan is blurred, there will be a smooth pan when viewed at 24fps.

• It might be the fact this issue show stronger if your footage is sharper... however also still wonder if there is something strange with this cam as well. Problem is that its really hard to measure... would love to see some side by side paning test with red and other high end cams.

• Well, on the same monitors that I have (which are high-end NEC 2690WUXI2 driven by GeForce GTS 450) I see harsher strobe effect with GH2 video than other cams' video at 24p. Looks like this excludes the monitor issue...

• It's true that the rotating shutter from analog film looks a bit better than the electronic ones. That's why these folks are developing the Tessive shutter: http://www.tessive.com/home/time-filter

• @mo7ies

I can't even count how many times this "issue" arises.

Best thing is to check monitors that you use first. After this get 24p footage from other cameras and compare.

• I've seen it where some external monitors seem to have more of the strobe while some others do not.

• I think what you see is the effect of a 1/48 (or 1/50) shutter vs. a 180° shutter. I can't remember which threat it was, but we had some info on this board about that.

Basically there is quite a difference between a electronical 100% on/100% off shutter and a rotating half-disc. The disc will produce a soft "blend in and out" of the motion that happend in that 1/48 of a second. The electronical shutter of the GH2 will give you a evenly wheighted mix of all the light that hit the sensor, which does not look that smooth.

• Honestly, when I was mixing GH2 and HV30 footage (with the HV30 having shutter at 1/48 vs 1/50 on the GH2 for the shots I am referring to) it was not a difference that leapt out at me. I am not saying it isn't there for other people, but it was not an issue on that video at least.

• i have the same question?