Personal View site logo
Convert GH2-files before editing
  • 58 Replies sorted by
  • This question has been raised before here. There were two plausible suggestions: convert DNxHD .mov files to .mfx files (a method was proposed, but it's complicated) or transcode in PPPRO to one of the lossless formats (TFF, DPX, etc.) which Resolve can handle.

• I don't know anything about Premiere, but I've used Sony MXF as an IC. Would it work for your workflow? I'm not even sure if it's 10 bit, but it's 4:2:2 container.

• @davidhjlindberg, there's a batch script for 5DtoRGB I believe. I use the paid version on a Mac but for Windows that should work I think.

• I use the batch script for 5DtoRGB on my mac.
    Google search found this for windows: http://www.paolorudelli.com/5DtoRGB-Batch/ you would have to edit the code to look for .mts instead of .mov

• So is there anything wrong with editing natively? Because I heard premiere can do hack footage natively

• @Oedipax Yes but the problem remains, 5DtoRGB only creates Avid DNxHD in a .MOV or AVI-wrapper, Resolve supports .MXF

• @HillTop1 I've done the native editing thing before but I always got weird artifacts when it came time to color correct.

• what about the log and transfer from fcp7? how does it compare to 5dtorgb, cliprwrap or Cineform Neoscene? now as now i import with final cut and then edit in premiere

• @fomalhaut3 I think most people would prefer 5dtorgb or Cineform quality-wise. Plus, you sidestep most Quicktime conversion issues.

But you could also just drag the native files into Premiere (or Vegas) assuming your version is up to date. You don`t get the 4:2:0 to 4:2:2 upconversion, though.

• @thepalalias and what about fcp7 s transcoding?

• @fomalhaut3 That is what I mean. You sidestep the issue with FCP7 using Quicktime for transcoding if you use 5dtorgb (and I have heard with Cineform as well). I would only choose FCP 7 for that part if I did not have one of the other two options.

• @fomalhaut3 - I used to log and transfer everything in FCP7, but this forum opened my eyes to the quality degradation that occurs in that part of the workflow. A lot of the faults I'd seen in the GH2 footage are due to FCP7's import to ProRes 422.

• @davidhjlindberg - perhaps there is a ProRes, uncompressed or MPEG I-Frame 4:2:2 10bit codec you could find to work in my DSLR Post Prep Utility. It does batch conversions to both HQ and proxy formats.

Check out http://hdcinematics.com/NewWeb/tools.html for more info

Also check out the thread http://www.personal-view.com/talks/discussion/2486/automated-avid-prores-lw-format-conversions-auto-file-renaming-tools for the current discussion.

Also, as @thepalalias mentioned, the Matrox codecs are great - you can grab them from my website also...

• ok,thanks guys, so 5dtorgb seems like the way to go..can somebody help me with the settings to use?

• I bought one of the first versions of 5DtoRGB which worked great. But now that I upgraded, I can't get that " flat " look when I convert my video. I tried almost every setting. What am I doing wrong?

• Glad this thread got bumped because I'd missed it. I'm planning my future workflow.....

• I use "MPEG streamclip" -> add files to batch list

export to avi or mov with DNxHD.

Is a good alternative to 5DtoRGB ??

• when I use cineform to convert I lose the audio in the converted files. Any ideas why?

• @ixvi

"_I use "MPEG streamclip" -> add files to batch list

export to avi or mov with DNxHD.

Is a good alternative to 5DtoRGB ??_"

No. MPEG Streamclip utilizes the Quicktime engine. This is most likely the worst of all options.

Cineform/NeoScene, 5DtoRGB and ffmpeg use their own engines. All three produce much better results. Me personally I own all of them but for quite some time I use ffmpeg exlusively. ffmpeg also provides a "high quality" mode taking smaller macroblocks into account. I rarely use it, though, as HQ mode takes ages to convert. Above all also the "standard" mode provides really good IQ.

@mee

Windows or Mac? On Mac install "Perian"...

• @davidhjlindberg : Sorry, it might be a bit late but I just saw this:

""is of an unknown or unsupported file type."

In the File Open Dialog you have to select type DirectShow.

• @mee When the render dialog box appears, make sure the "Audio" box is checked. Go to CF render settings as well.

• This is a great thread! Really helped me out a lot!

• is it possible to use 5dtoRGB for a simple transcoding or would I have to take another route in order to have a neutral transition?

• I keep seeing people question transcoding to something other than mts files....and I keep seeing people suggest mts files play as smoothly as other formats. For me this is the farthest from the truth as you can get. If you have a few thousand dollar system....then maybe, but dnxhd files scroll/play 10 times more smoothly for me in cs6. With mts files the first several frames play smooth but bog down after that. dnxhd files play/scroll/jog smoothly indefinitely for me. 2.66 quad core. gtx570.

• @Stylz For what it's worth, in my experience the playback performance is in part based on a combination of format, bitrate, engine and OS.

In Vegas 11 Pro, I found that DNxHD .MOV files were rather sluggish but Cineform .MOV files were much faster (at least until you started using really high bitrates on Cineform, like Filmscan 1 and Filmscan 2).

In my own experience, .MTS performance is varied, depending on the drives they are streaming from, the settings used while shooting and the bitrate. I sometimes find it necessary to transcode to Cineform for performance reasons but it seems like this might be less of an issue with faster storage.