Personal View site logo
Mbox Pro Audio Interface $595
  • The mbox pro is a superb audio interface and perfect for pro tools. B&H is having a very good deal on it now: $489.99

EDIT: they just raised the price to $595!! That's still a pretty decent deal I think.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/761407-REG/Avid_9900_65137_00_Mbox_3_Pro.html/

I just placed my order.

• 7 Replies sorted by
  • Any reason to prefer it among other interfaces?
    As I understand Firewire interfaces are going out and are replaced by USB ones.

• Thats a really good deal. I really like the conversion over previous generation. I think the only advantage is this is a good deal and its rock-solid with PT. Off-course, you can use any interface now with PT.

• Looks pretty sweet... good deal.

• @Vitaliy_Kiselev and @pvjames...

The pre-amps are quite possibly the best for built-in audio interfaces in this price range. I tried an AKAI eie pro and the preamps were pretty useless without getting an external preamp. I talked to a soundpro and he said these are siginficantly better preamps.

There are 8 channels of input and output (w/ 4 xlr ins); compatibility with 5.1 surround system; ability to monitor out to three different sets of monitors and two different sets of headphones; rock solid construction build; great led front metering; ability to monitor two headphone ports; etc., etc.... Yes, the only downside is firewire, but it's not a major deal breaker by any means...

...wow... they just raised the price to $595! I'm lucky I got it at $100 less.

• Given the open choice now with PT9-10 and after PT Media composer or whatever they going to call it - I probably wouldn't put that particular box as a first choice, in my humble opinion. Can think of several far more acoustically and feature-attractive options.

• @soundgh2 You've tested the mbox 3 pro? I'm happy to learn about something superior at this price point.

For me, I wanted an all-in-one audio interface (with good pres) primarily for use with PT 10. And something that will last me several years. (If it's impossible at some point to get a good computer / soundcard with firewire 400, then I'll just get a firewire to usb converter.)

BTW, the mbox 3 line has really improved over the previous generation, which had some issues. Here's a review: http://acapella.harmony-central.com/showthread.php?2762705-Avid-Mbox-Pro-Computer-Interface-Now-with-Conclusions

• No - but spec wise - and not wanting to get my chum at Avid the sack who says it's the same old shit as before the sack - I'd probably go for something on the RME front to be sure of attaining that sonic glory I'm sure you are looking for at that price point :p

PS I own 3 Avid Omnis an the pres stink IMHO - but you get what you pays for as with everything