Personal View site logo
Actual lines of resolution
  • Does the latest firmware upgrade and the amazing new PTools and assorted hacks actually raise the actual lines of resolution resolved by the GH2? Though the 5d Mark II is 1080p the actual real lines of resolution seems to be around 500. The Canon XF300 is around 800. The GH2 always seemed some where in between. Has that been improved, or is it just perceptual?

• 68 Replies sorted by
  • Bloom laid it out. The only thing close to the GH2 was the C300. This res test stuff is a red herring because most res tests favor a component of shooting that's not really valid in the world of normal shooting (WFO, high ISO, etc). Look at the C300 vs GH2 (pre Orion GH2 footage, mind you!), and make a judgement.

• It's almost impossible to judge resolution differences looking at compressed Youtube or Vimeo video. Only sure-fire way are screengrabs from ungraded file, upoloaded as lossless PNG.

• Anyways guys, I counted hundreds of lines. No joking here, literally hundreds of lines of resolution. Hundreds.

LOL

• I did a quick and dirty resolution test tonight. I didn't have a chart so I pointed my GH2 at a half eaten pizza from 3 days ago. Pepperoni and mushroom. Anyways guys, I counted hundreds of lines. No joking here, literally hundreds of lines of resolution. Hundreds.

• LOL...@bwhitz thanks for taking me back to the early 80's. It's a shame...though it's been 13 years I'm still shocked by his murder suicide death (his own brother in the background).

• To my eye it was very telling that the GH2 was right in the ballpark with video cams costing 3 or more times as much. Fitted with quality glass I don't see how you couldn't make an excellent nature film with the GH2.

This craze about resolution is a bit overblown. I think that there are so many other aspects that come into play in cinematography. I'd lose my mind if they gave us a solid 4:2:2 and flatter color profiles for the GH series. All I have is a GH13, 550D ML and a couple of Canon Vixia's. Let's keep in perspective that this is an interchangeable lens cam of very high image quality for CHEAP!!! I'm a newbie and I can see the difference between my GH13 and my 550D ML.

I'm just getting started in this field after decades as an Audio Engineer. It's so much fun having such a flexible little tool for so little money. I really don't have the skills to warrant a much more expensive cam, but this camera far exceeds my expectations. I've been cutting my teeth on local Talk shows, Live events and music videos. All low budget to no budget stuff and so it's really great to have such a high quality image as I learn more about filming. I can only imagine what someone with far greater knowledge and ability can accomplish with this camera.

• How many lines of resolution do you think the camera they shot this video with has?

... I bet it was allot, since the camera was probably big and professional looking.

• @jimtreats That video looked pretty close to me.....

Now where did I put my damn glasses? LOL

• My johnson is bigger than all of yours combined...so...

Nah...nah...nu..Nah Nahhhhh (while sticking out my tounge). :-)

• @jimtreats My worn out macbook usually doesn't tell much on these shootouts, but in this case, the difference is pronounced.

• Here's my comparison between my 550d and GH2 from when i first brought it. The original 1080p upload should be available to download.

• that difference is exactly why I went for the gh13 (back in the days), to be able to shoot out "in the wild".. with extremely light gear. After having been let down by the 7d a couple of times (what looked good whilst shooting turned out shit). ..........................

Exactly my experience too.

• IMHO Hendrix played a Strat - my mate has a Strat from exactly that era and model make and build (yes he's rich and you can see where Im going with this) Those who do generally do, those who don't analyze why they should, who did, and then assume thats what you need to do - all good and both are valid approaches , I like Hendrix although my chum is v talented.

• @Grunf that difference is exactly why I went for the gh13 (back in the days), to be able to shoot out "in the wild".. with extremely light gear. After having been let down by the 7d a couple of times (what looked good whilst shooting turned out shit).

• Yup. Screengrabs from VLC. Ungraded.

• ^ are those actual video stills? That's quite a dramatic difference. I didn't realize it was that much.

• Dunno about GH2, but I did bunch of tests between my old GH1 and my Canon 550D "back in the days". Aliasing or not, GHx looked "a tad" more detailed than Canon. Maybe both cameras have same Nyqvist limit but pictures tell a tale. For example, both cameras show very thin fence lines, being around 1 pixel wide. But if you look at the grass, you can tell which one is "pixel binned" and which is "pixel skipped". Canon has detail, but it's a lot of noise and stuff that wasn't there in the first place.

GH1: http://i1024.photobucket.com/albums/y306/grunf12/gh13s.jpg

Canon 550D: http://i1024.photobucket.com/albums/y306/grunf12/550ds.jpg

Canon had 24-70 f2.8 Sigma and GH used stock 14-140 lens.

• I'm sorry cowpunk but you have taken the "evidence" you present out of context. Some high iso shots comparing high iso resolution differences between 3 cameras. Second you present a test that is only good for the shooter himself.. (it is lacking in terms of information). It is no better than other test footage that has been referred to or presented as evidence of what the gh2 is capable of. Let's stop wasting time with this nonsensical debate and get to work. Each to his own agenda.

Personally, I have no qualms over using the gh2 for shooting nature scenery whatsoever.. which was what the original question was referring to.

• Thing is, that I saw very big amount of topics about shooting charts, debating charts, calculating resolution according to different techniques. Almost all of them are big waste of time of all viewers. Absolutely without any relation to cameras used.

• Just to put in a good word for charts - the attached jpeg (sorry, a bit low rez) is from a camera which has lots of passionate defenders and has been used to shoot features, commercials, etc. And good for the shooters, who got results with it. But, based on the the chart, most folks probably wouldn't choose to use it for a nature documentary, shots of building facades or men's tweed suits.

Which is why it can be useful to have charts -- to get a better idea of what your limits are on the screen, big or small. That was all the original poster wanted to know, and asking it wouldn't seem to be all that unreasonable.

3.JPG
    640 x 512 - 48K
  • I see no need to refer to @mpgxsvcd tests on dpreview, as he is active member here.

All I see here, is almost exactly same topic. with same arguments as closed similar topic. Special to mentally challenged guys who think that "GH2 is best camera in the world", it is not.
    It is not best, it is not worst, it is just camera owned by many of our members, but many have professional large sensor cameras, Canon DSLRs instead or Sony NEX cameras.

• @RRRR - that chart was shot at 1080p on the GH2. Vitaly, I'm sorry about the link to another forum, but it's just satisfy naysayers who want to try to hang on to dogma despite all evidence. RRRR, you can see the chart, as well as a 1080i chart, MJPEG chart and 720p chart and more here: http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/readflat.asp?forum=1041&message=38912742

Not enough? Check out how these tests have the exact same results here:

And also at the 8:45 mark here:

But I'm sure you'll find a way to justify a reason why none of that is accurate. I'm sure some here could be presented with the a number of meticulous tests and charts and would still believe the GH2 can resolve exactly 1080 lines of resolution, even if you saw a test done right in front of your own eyes or if, god forbid, you did one yourself. The dogma runs deep.

Look, I'm the first one here to say that charts are irrelevant, except as a curiosity. What I can't stand, though, is untrue information being presented as fact just to further this idea that the GH2 is the greatest digital cine camera ever made (it's not). I feel sorry for people coming here to try to find honest information about their camera, and instead they just get a healthy dose of 'fanboyism.' The camera is just a tool, it's got limitations - all of them do. It's ok to understand what those limitations are. No one will think your d**k is smaller.

• I think it's important, and I think it's irrelevent .. shoot your chart .. get your 700 (or whatever) lpi .. then swap your lens and measure again :)

• What we actually learn from this is: the only thing that counts is a chart. Sony f3, canon c300, Scarlet and Sony fs100 obviously resolve less in a 1080 frame than xf300 and any real world experience is obsolete.

My next feature film will have a chart as it's main actor. That way I will know whenever I cock up the shot.

• @Aria As I see it, you're right. The GH2 isn't the limiting factor in most types of productions. As far as I'm concerned, to get a camera significantly better (as opposed to incrementally better), you need to spend 10-15,000 USD. Bloom's test is garbage. Charts are garbage. The GH2 is a very good video camera, too bad it looks so stupid. Panasonic did everything but paint it pink.