Personal View site logo
Feature film shooting
  • We start shooting a feature film next weekend. I've been testing various patches, and its all quite confusing to me. They all look "Great".

The target here is more than likely DVD, but of course we want to maintain the highest quality possible within our means. We won't have the 95mb cards just yet for this shoot, and will still be using 30mb cards. We are not using PL glass (out of the budget) and instead using vintage FD glass for the shoot. I hope to one day have the budget to get a hotrod adapter and PL glass. My budget is going towards talent this time.

My question is, which hack should I be using to get the best quality out of the gear I am using. I have some transcend class 10 cards, and one sandisk extreme 30mbps card. I've tried most of the hacks on both cards, but which one should I actually be using for a feature? I know they are sort of designed for different types of film making. Driftwood? Terraquake? etc.

• 15 Replies sorted by
  • For feature I assume you are not going to be doing ridiculously long takes so just go with the one that is best with motion and quality. Probably Driftwood latest patch. Flowmotion is also good but the new driftwood patches are incredible and might even match or surpass it in motion.

• Nah, no long takes.

I was looking at the driftwood patches and I've tried I think it was quantum 7. Are there newer ones now that are stable?

• yes, http://www.personal-view.com/talks/discussion/2364/driftwood-quantum-x-settings Quantum 7 is pretty old have you even upgraded to the new ptool yet? Anyways it seems pretty stable to me. Definitely check it out. It is taking advantage of all the new features of the new ptool. There are also 3 more patches expected very soon from driftwood so you should probably keep checking back.

• I'm shooting next weekend, so I'm assuming that whichever one we use needs to be the one we use for the entirety of the film.

Nope my DP has had my camera doing some lens tests. will those patches be fine on the 30mbps extreme cards?

• The current ones work on Transcend class 10 cards. So most definitely. There might be one that only works on the 95/mb sec card but we will have to wait and see.

• The one and only, original cbranding66 "settings". The most reliable patch giving stunning results.

• I just wrapped a feature on Aquamotion V2...This is a very stable reliable patch VERY rare crashes on 30mb sandisk footage looks great and grades well. Spanning isnt/wasnt an issue either. 20 minutes on a 16 gig and 40 on the 32 gig. Its the marriage of space vs reliability vs quality that led to this for me... i still have not released the footage or trailer but will soon.

• Azmyth, I use Driftwood's Terraquake hack and I really like the results. I have a Panasonic 16gb class 10 card read 90 write 25..about $50 at B&H..great for low light shooting as well as general filming..very stable so far for me...here's a little montage video I did with Terraquake with the 14-140mm kit lens and Konica 40mm lens.

• Don't mind the focusing issues on the video, I just did it on the fly without much planning and without a focus puller

• anybody able to tell me what boxes to check for v4 orion? spanning not necessary, but best performance is preferable...can o' worms i know!

• @piotremanuel Are you using v1.1 patch/Ptools 3.64 with cbrandin66?

• @ed_lee83 Although it's nice to have the advantages of the new firmware I decided to go back to v.1.0. Cbrandin66 settings loaded into new ptool and firmware resulted in visible blocking and reduced data rates. I wish Chris updated his "patch" to be fully utilised with the new firmware. I tried tweaking extensively but without a comprehensive understanding of the new options it was a bit pointless. In terms of clip size against quality ratio this was always my settings of choice - very stable, predictable (well, 99 percent), spanning for hours, a beauty to colour grade, etc. Don't get me wrong, for a feature I'd most probably use @Driftwood's latest orion or similar but for every day use @cbrandin 66 just strikes the right balance for me for now.

• Shot at 3200 iso, whilst the light was so low that a candle was like a red head.. :o) Using cbrandin66

• cbrandin44/66 is an excellent setting. I'm sure Chris is silently working on an update :-)

• where can I download cbranding 66 patch?