Personal View site logo
Best wide lenses
  • 120 Replies sorted by
  • I have the samyang 7.5mm 2.8 fish eye for m43, very sharp, well made, good against light, sells for 300euros

• No love for the Sigma 10-20mm f/3.5? I've had this lens for over a year and love it. Great for landscapes and the like and it focuses close enough to work as a "fun" lens too or even a faux-macro - I've gotten some great close-up flower shots with it.

• When I used to shoot super 16 I LOVED the 9.5mm zeiss lens that came in the rental kit. I wonder how that would look on a m 4/3 sensor.

• @yeehaanow Nice to hear it! Do you have any footage with the 9-18mm online? I'm just afraid I'll find it to contrasty ( I don't manage to get rid of the digital looking with the 20mm pancake for instance) But no Idea, since so far haven't manage to find proper outdoor footage. Great to hear about the Opteka. Have you tried any fish-eye correction in post?

The tokina, sigma and the zuikos are great but heavy (for my use). @LittleD this is the lens ivanlee was talking about http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/301910-REG/Olympus_261007_11_22mm_f_2_8_3_5_ED_Lens.html

• SIGMA 19mm F2.8 EX DN for Micro 4/3 & E-mount. Price listed is 199€ by Sigma Germany. Cheap it is..

19_28_EX_DN_Vertical.jpg
    4742 x 3194 - 2M
    19_28_EX_DN_Horizontal.jpg
    4744 x 3195 - 2M
  • @mikidora nice. but not wide. for m43 wide glass are bellow 14mm, 17mm..

• @ttancredi I Didn't know where to put it. Wonder if it's gonna be €199 too... Love the 20mm's

• I'm surprised no one mentioned the olympus 12mm (small, sharp, f2, autofocus or manual focus with hard stops). It seems like a winner. Is there something wrong with this lens ?

• Canon FD 17mm f/4.0, not fast but excellent lens with great build quality even open, good sharpness and without distortion. Beyond f/5.6 impressive. Price: currently 200-250€

P1020953.JPG
    2048 x 1536 - 962K
  • Anyone tried SLR Magic/Noktor 12mm f/1.6 ? Guess it will vignette quite a lot..... But it will be fun anyway - and for me,having fun is important in a creative proccess!

(Might also be INTERESTING with heavy vignetting on that one) Expecting it in April.

Regards,T

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/emboschma/5405246007/in/set-72157625946911686/lightbox/

Don't forget this baby - the only con is that you have to do the aperture with a toothpick orso....

• Isn't the Nikon 14-24 considered the best UWA of all right now? I would buy a Nikon body cause of this lens alone if you are a Landscaper.

• I'm not going to compare to the Panasonic 7-14mm, but the Canon EF-S 10-22mm 3.5/4.5 is a lens I've used more than any other and I definitely prefer it to Tokina 11-16mm f2.8.

You sacrifice a lot in terms of detail, barrel distortion, etc. for that f/2.8.

• The corners may not be as big a deal on M43 as on a 1.6 crop APS-C but you can really see the difference in that (and in terms of CA) for the two lenses here and those corners are quite different.

http://www.the-digital-picture.com/Reviews/ISO-12233-Sample-Crops.aspx?Lens=271&Camera=474&Sample=0&FLI=1&API=1&LensComp=718&CameraComp=474&SampleComp=0&FLIComp=1&APIComp=2

EDIT: And the CA difference can't be fixed by stopping down. Here's the Canon at f/3.5 vs the Tokina at f/8.0. http://www.the-digital-picture.com/Reviews/ISO-12233-Sample-Crops.aspx?Lens=271&Camera=474&Sample=0&FLI=1&API=0&LensComp=718&CameraComp=474&SampleComp=0&FLIComp=1&APIComp=4

• Someone tried the COMPUTAR 3.5-8mm 1:1.4 CCTV? It´s advisable, or better don´t buy it?

• I'm using the slr magic 12mm 1.6 with a 70mm nd and a step up ring and there is no vignetting

• @Kihlian

I have a Tameron 4-12mm cctv lens, workes great in Teleconversion mode, Has the teleconversion drawbacks but its a fast f1.2 so it helps, this gives you a very good review/samples of it on the GH2, at 4mm its nearly a fish eye.. very wide wideangle, about 70 degree view

I have a new prime CCTV lens on the way, Rainbow 3.5mm , no results from that yet.. but I have 2 other Rainbow lenses that I'm pretty happy with. Ill report back when I get that one also.

• @Ebacherville I looked for this lens after seeing your post from 9 February, but there are not yet on ebay. I looked for Rainbow too, but there are some only with pin cable for automatic Iris and have no idea if this work on GH2. However there are many CCTV lenses, will try one for the very wide angle feature.

• Oly 8-18mm for m43rd

Very good and cheap

• Nice idea, really funny. Do you mean the 9-18mm 4-5.6 ?

• 14mm 2.5 at $172 from ebay. Plus DMW-GWC1 wide angle adapter from Panasonic.

The 0.79x adapter would give 11mm focal length and 16cm minimum focus distance. Also it can work with x14-42 PZ lens to give 11-33mm. To be available in this May. Expected price around $129. Not necessarily light loss.

• Yeah, I'm sweating on that adapter for the 14mm too, also to give the 20mm pancake a little more width. I thought they were more than $129 though.

• The price for the DMW-GWC1 on Panasonic UK is £129 which (although odd) will probably translate as pretty close in $

• http://www.adorama.com/IPCDMWGWC1.html says $129.95.

The spec says it will work with only 14mm 2.5 and x14-42. Not sure if it's gonna work with 20mm 1.7.

• Cool, great price, I must be remembering a price from when they were first announced, i'm sure it was over $200, it was so long ago, these adapters have been coming forever. I wonder why no work on the 20mm, the 14mm and 20mm are basically the same lens other than speed and focal length???

UPDATE: the spec is saying 14MM >11MM on BOTH lenses, so maybe it cannot focus on the 20mm or any further on the Zoom lens than 14MM. Bummer.