Personal View site logo
Olympus EM-5 topic
  • 386 Replies sorted by
  • Beautiful machine. But that lens seems photoshoped.

olympus.jpg
    562 x 599 - 56K
    olympus1.jpg
    566 x 616 - 49K
  • This looks like Olympus Marketing at it's best.

Remember this claim is thrown without any context. We don’t know in which circumstances it is better (low light? jello effect? 1080p60? 720p120? AVCHD 2.0? fast focusing?)

It’s not that difficult to exceed the GH2 specification, the NEX-5N does it with 1080p60 but is trashed on low light and high ISO, the E-P3 should exceed it in low light (if full sensor binning is true like it was marketed) but is trashed in available video modes), the Sony SLT’s does it with PD focusing but it’s got even worse IQ than NEX-5N, and so on…

The real strength of the GH2 in video lies in the fact that it has no weak points plus 2 key factors:

• The way it bins pixels for video, giving unsurpassed (in APS-C) detail and low light IQ. Again I must say I don’t have an E-P3 but I don’t see any reports on how it’s video is excelling.

• the HACK. Let’s face it, no camera that stays within AVCHD recording specs, can ever aspire to beat a full Intra H.264 176Mbps stream (and I might even tell you that there is a major turn over coming on to the hacks’ patch sets, which promises the same quality at much less bitrate expense).

• yeah, lets see how Oly screws it all up by missing to implement one very very important video feature. Aliasing, frame rates and bit rate are top contenders for the failure. Did Olympus already had 100% manual control for video in the past? If not, this is also big hurdle to be overcome.

At least it feels like Olympus is paying attention to video.

• Same with sensor.... Olympus claims a "newly developed sensor" at least that's the rumour....

Lets see, it sure looks like a very nice photo camera ;)

• I did chuckle when reading about the GH2/OM-D videomode rumour...

Thing is Olympus still think that every country in the world shoots video with 29.97fps. Do these companies ever change habit? It would be a right step forward to at least have different framerates for regions ;-)

Same usual m4/3 rumours "fastest AF" "all new sensor" that will probably be debunked when out to the public.

because something is new doesn't mean its going to be better..theres many a product that has been worse than previous models. Sometimes its more of the same whats currently available but at a premium price because its got a "pro" tag.

We can keep our feet on the ground. ;-)

• More direct competition, means Panasonic engineers and managers have a higher bar to meet on new devices. That's why My fingers are crossed the GH-3 will be announced at Photokina. More time for advancements.

• @Manu4Vendetta

I know, you can check yourself http://www.personal-view.com/news from time to time :-)

As for this rumor. It has absolutely zero value.

• '(FT5) Unbelievable: New Olympus OM video quality is better than on the GH2!' o_O

• Be more calm about it.

I see huge excitment coming from announcments, but most fo the time this excitiment result in big disappoitment due to astinishing expectations.