Personal View site logo
Edelkrone Pocket Rig
  • 69 Replies sorted by
  • I got one of the Modula rigs 40% off from SmallHD. They said Edelkrone suddenly cancelled their distribution rights so they were just getting rid of them. But damn, I just saw on Edelkrone's website the prices were even lower because they're selling it themselves now! But they force to use super expensive DHL shipping...

• @ed_lee83, which of the Modula rigs did you get? A quick check on smallHD but not discount.

• @HillTop1 Originally I wanted the Modula 3, but when I placed the order they said they had no more in stock - and never will - hence why they explained the cancelled distribution. So I just got the Modula 1. You can see how they dropped their prices on this page: http://www.smallhd.com/Store/Edelkrone-Rigs-and-Accessories

But CRAAAP, if I knew about Edelkrone's price drop of course I would've bought from them instead... Modula 3 + shipping = $694. Buy from SmallHD it's $919 (free shipping).

• @ed_lee83 You can't return it? I'll be upset.

• Nicely designed and built. A little large for GH2 but OK. The "swivel to the side open battery compartment trick" does not work on GH2. You have to remove it to change the battery. The extension arm and chest pad are only restricted by friction and cannot be locked in position so you have to avoid applying any force while shooting or the whole thing will shift.

• It looks like someone copied it and selling at half the price (original), but it is still cheaper considering free shipping.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/Cameras-Photo-/625/i.html?_ipg=&_from=&_nkw=&_armrs=1&_ssn=jessworld0807&_clu=2&_fcid=168&_localstpos=&_stpos=&gbr=1

• They will have to sell the copy for 150$ in order to make sense.

I do not agree here.

• Errrr ... what the hell ?

If they want to increase prices, why not just telling people prices will go up at some point in the future instead of going through this "happy backorder" bullshit with a fake raised price ?

edelkronepriceincrease.png
    675 x 270 - 63K
  • @kennethp

Yep, counterfeit copy by unknown producer with funny FATCAT badge :-)

• Hi all Got the original instead :)

I just bought the edelkrone pocket rig, and by requst I've made a little demonstration video It's not quite a review, but at least it's some real footage:

The good things are quite obvious, and the bad, after a couple of days with it, are mentioned in the video. the hinge for instance is quite cumbersome.

I did'nt do a fully thought through demonstration but at least its some footage for you guys.

I'm using it with the Gh2 and various lenses, it gives good support, but are heavy on the forearms. I will buy some rod handles, I think it could help quite a bit. But you can't run around doing real long footage as your arms will get tired. It can not replace a 'real' shoulder rig. But it's real handy allways to have stabilisation (and rods) with you. The arm can (not with a quick release plate) be turned vertical so it can be used as a small table tripod, or a belt clip (with the hinge), but I'm worried that the hinges friction will become loose, so you should allways bring a allen screw (3 different sizes to be sure).

The screw/knob locking mechanism on the arm works good as long as you dont unscrew them to much, if you do it will fall off whens it's being pulled out. But if you don't unscrew them enough it will have trouble sliding out when being pulled. Just have to find the balance. When the arm is pulled out, you have to tighten the knobs quite a bit if you don't want them to come loose when force is being applied from the shoulder. This, for me, has resulted, as you can see in the video, in marks and scratches on the arm. I don't know if it's a problem, but I was quite surprised when i found out. Think they should have figured out a more elegant locking solution.

I've tried to use it with a 323 quick release underneth on a 701HDV head placed upon a glidetrack sd, seemed to work pretty well using a rubber band

I'm waiting on a cheap fotga follow focus, then i'll try to buld a small rig with a little monitor aswell, that'll be fun

If you got any questions about the unit, fire away!

Kind regards from Denmark Kenneth

• Biggest issue with these chest supported devices, is when you inhale/exhale your chest rises and so does the camera. I find a lightweight monopod tucked into your belt takes all the weight off your arms and eliminates the inhale/ exhale movement.

• @Rambo

Can you show us this monopod trick? You use small bag and insert monopod in it?

• @Vitaliy_Kiselev @Rambo I've read about people using the belt attachments that marching band flag bearers use, but couldn't find one locally. I substituted a treat bag used to hold dog snacks for training. I think I paid about four dollars for it at Pet Smart.

It's worked like a charm for a long time now.

• Yes you can buy a purpose made bag like the one in this link. http://www.wexphotographic.com/buy-manfrotto-080-monopod-belt-pouch/p10999 Or just use a sports drink waist belt.

If the monopod has a ball head you can then also adjust the angle. You can do the same thing with a small tripod, except put the quick connect in 90 degrees to normal and then use the tripod handle side on as a grip.

It's much more comfortable having the weight of your arms and rig pushing down on your waistline than it is trying to hold up a rig on a shoulder or chest support.

As I travel a lot, I like to use my equipment in as many different ways as I can.

• Ok ok, different strokes for different folks. I've had my Pocket Rig for a month now and I'm very happy with it. It does everything I need it to do for the way I roll. Its not like I'm a gear snob or anything, for certain situations I run with the Wondlan 1.3 Zacuto Striker ' knock off'.

But to say that you can use a tampon and a cock ring to pull the same thing off is a bit of stretch ;)

• I laughed :)

• Let me put it this way, i will back a waist mounted monopod for steady video against a chest mounted rig any-day. But i accept some of you may get a tad excited shoving a monopod down your pants and may not wish to try it this stabilization technique. :-)

The Cowboy shoulder/chest rig suffers the same issue, vertical tilt when breathing, mine is gather dust in the cupboard.

I did consider buying the Edelkrone to use only in the belt clip mode, but the as the above poster pointed out, the hinge is suspect.

• Actually I personally never use that 'monopod' mode. But the hinge for me is quite butch after tightening that allen screw. The overall build quality on my unit is quite good, but I find the knobs to be pretty cheap in comparison.

• 866723.jpg
    500 x 500 - 110K
  • Had my pocket rig for a month and like it quite a bit. The light weight means you have to rely on additional points of contact for stability. Knowing that and not expecting full rig performance.... it is truly cool. I keep it on my camera and it fits in my bag, as is. I have a couple of handles in the bag and they make it doable, in my opinion.

Using the view finder and creating 4 points, it does a great job. The best thing is the ability to whip it out of a bag and go to town. I am about to do a traveling corporate video and will keep it on me for easy b-roll footage and as a back up to the main GH2 rig.

• thats just crazy cheap. well worth the buy on a budget.