Personal View site logo
Personal View Feature Film Collaborative project
  • 536 Replies sorted by
  • Why not have another week for concept finalizing..? (Friday - Friday) We make an announcement and try to make it visible. Poll could open on Saturday and get done pretty quickly (3 days open time or something like that) - closing on monday.

Why not do the poll and then see how or who will write? I'm guessing some people will be eager to work on certain ideas whilst they don't want to work on others.

• I can create the poll again, but perhaps we should allow at least a couple of days in case there is still anyone wanting to work over theirs a bit more. I know I would like to rework mine a bit this weekend. How about a day next week sometime for the editing to close and the poll to open?

Also, we need some way of choosing a writer after that.

• Yup, if it's possible limit the votes to 5 and have a simple yes / no selection.

• @RRRR I agree, we have 16 concepts, create a poll with the number and title. Members should read the [storylines] page once more before they vote as some people have updated there stories.

Any volunteers to create the poll?

• Good let's do this poll!

• @Imaginate, @B3Guy: I think there could be a crop of the story concepts now (to about 5 left) and then it's up to the writers to use the favoured main concepts as they see fit whilst developing their story.

• Yes, it is time to write screenplays.

• @Vitaly I dont think any of the stories presented so far are going to be expanded any further until the authors know what "THE GROUP" thinks of them. Most authors have had plenty of time to expand on their stories if they had further ideas.

I think everyone who has submitted something so far deserves to hear what the group thinks of their ideas. Forget the cash contest idea, I could only see that as slowing things down, lets just move forward as efficiently as possible.

Maybe once the concepts have been thinned out to the top 5 or something, everyone can be free to add ideas for those, but its kind of pointless to add new ideas to concepts that no one wants to pursue.

• May be really use one author for each variant and make him submit one short story concept. And only after this make any voting? Cut 50% of stories. make remaining authors expand and detail their story. Another vote and another cut. To make things more interesting you can get $50 from each candidate author on each stage. And one who'll win will take the bank. :-)

• I agree with Elenion, as of today there are 16 potential storylines or concepts, I suggest we set a cut off date to get any final ideas in. Vote and then present those ideas to the writing team. Decide on a head writer and get the first draft underway. You should check out submission #15 by Martin Lancaster. As far as I know Martin is the only professional writer who has offered to help us out and is a strong candidate for the lead writer role. I'm not saying his idea is the best but it gives you an idea of genres that he likes writing in.

• I'd just like to underline that have been passed like three months and we're still discussing for the methods of voting for the prototype of a concept of a script for the screenplay. I vote for less democracy and more authority like: just vote the preferred concept and the official writer(s) of the screenplay will take into account the opinions of all by reading at past (and future) polls.

• Well, maybe we go from concept to short synopsis with clear limitations (amount of words / letters) and do a poll where you only have, say, 3 votes. Then it should become more clear what stories to develop.

• We already have our concepts. It is not possible to write an entire story just to let them be submitted to a vote. We follow a weird scheme until now and i personally don't know how we could go ahead in this way. Maybe voting the concepts and applying the limitations underlined by the last poll. Really i don't know

• Yes, it is time to really get going on some real stories, everyone. Let's see what we can come up with.

• I think there was a few useful things that we learned from the last survey. The most interesting I found was that Every person speak his/her own language (lot of subtitles) got a high mark

also : the story contains multiple protagonists scored high

• those kind of ideas can actually have an effect on the writing whatever the final story is ultimately chosen.

and some of lower scoring ones like "A contemporary class war story" & The figure of a scientist who helps the main character throughout the film but still seems suspicious. people seemed to unanimously dislike for some reason. ha ha

I don't think it was ever the intention to write a script collaboratively by voting on (Story ELEMENTS )... but to vote on story Concepts/Synopsis/Loglines and choose a shortlist then ultimately one or two that would be written by a qualified writer or writing team.

I think the next vote on Potential Story Ideas will be a lot more progressive in moving us forward.

• Well, looking at the poll results it certainly seems that way.. It was very hard to distinguish any clear group preference except for the most generic concepts, which are easy to accept.

At least, I found it very hard to take anything useful from the poll results.

• I agree, any creative project by committee is doomed. Just look at the standard of design in the London Olympics (the logo, the condom-like mascots) to realise this.

I am optimistic about collaboration but not committees. Separate roles of collaborators is a good thing. A committee is mud.

• My opinion is simple. Never ever committee made anything interesting. It is not because people are wrong. It is because people can normally reach agreement only on common things (so, no one will be "left behind"). So, in best case, it'll be "we'll make mix of common stamps".

• Guys, this way of behave, like to vote everything many times and subdivided in small concepts will make us failthis project.

• ya sorry . . . Im road trip pin' it to LA right now. Be there tomorrow. Once I'm settled in, I'll get the ball rolling with this project again.

• Hey guys just an update from my side, there have been several conversations going with various writers who are interested in helping out and kicking around some story ideas. I just put a new story idea up on the concepts page the other day. We should probably set a deadline for the next round of voting sometime soon and nudge the story process forward. Any suggestions for a date to have story submissions in by? and how we would like those formatted for the vote? It might be good to have some comments from everyone on the results of our last poll and what what we found interesting about our results. What conclusions can we draw from that Poll?
  • @B3Guy Let me know when you get here and I'll be happy to take you to lunch. :)
  • sorry for the silence, @all

I am preparing for my move to Los Angeles
  • has anyone worked with this before: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yammer
    I don't know if this will worked for the film but could be a little to social. The thing its private and easy to create pages votes ect.
  • that plug in looks interesting