Personal View site logo
Old wide angle lenses (24mm, 28mm) on m43 ?
  • 106 Replies sorted by
  • I can highly reccomend the Nikkor 28/2 AIS - lovely old school glass.
  • ap, and the Samyang has a close focus of macro 1:6x wich is about 20cms, it can be used without changing any hardware setting just by rotating the focus ring.

i can take some pics if you are interested in pixel peeping, but to me it looks reeeeaally good, new lenses to me look oversharped and videoish
  • i have just bought a Samyang mc automatic 1:2.8 f=28mm (canon FD mount) and is sharper than the (probably bad copy) Canon 28mm 2.8 (canon FD mount) i used to have (that one cost me U$60)
    , the funny thing is that i manage to get an unopened box, so my samyang is brand new :)
    it cost me arround U$60

also, i now have a Canon 20mm f2.8 (canon FD mount), (that i get on a trade, i exchange a 80-200 f4 canon fd + the canon fd 28mm 2.8 + U$40) and i must say that i absolutely love it, specially because i can place a wide adapter in front, of course loosing some sharpness in the corner but not on the center, but, i still can use it wide open with the adapter, and i actually use a 58mm wide adapter with step down rings ( being the canon fd 20mm, 72mm in the front) without any vignetting, so i can have something like a 15mm at 2.8; the wide adapter is a Vivitar series1 0.43x threaded in the back at 58mm, and that cost me U$15 on B&H a few months ago
  • The Minolta Rokkor 28mm 2.8 is not bad, but the 21mm 2.8 has pretty bad CA.

In wide-angle land, legacy glass below 35mm can't compete with modern lenses, I second Vitaliy's comment.
  • >Anything against Panasonic 25mm F1.4 ?
    Apart from the focus-by-wire, not really, but it's not for me, and I'm just looking at possible alternatives.
    The reason I looked at Leica lenses was because I may buy an M6 sometime in the future, and because I have a friend who already have one and a GF1, it could have been a nice photo/video combo.
    I may start buying a good canon FD body (ie F1), to use the FD lenses I bought lately. I will look at M6 if I'm enjoying 35mm film photography
  • Anything against Panasonic 25mm F1.4 ?
    You must understand that old full frame glass normally can't compete with Noktor, and especially Leica glass.
    You can look at 28mm Vivitar, I mean cheap F2.8 lenses.