Personal View site logo
DP Review to close on April 10.
  • https://www.dpreview.com/news/5901145460/dpreview-com-to-close

Dear readers,

After nearly 25 years of operation, DPReview will be closing in the near future. This difficult decision is part of the annual operating plan review that our parent company shared earlier this year.

The site will remain active until April 10, and the editorial team is still working on reviews and looking forward to delivering some of our best-ever content.

Everyone on our staff was a reader and fan of DPReview before working here, and we’re grateful for the communities that formed around the site.

Thank you for your support over the years, and we hope you’ll join us in the coming weeks as we celebrate this journey.

Sincerely,

Scott Everett General Manager - DPReview.com

• 15 Replies sorted by
  • @EspenB

Well, it is Amazon new layoffs plan. I suggest.

• What an idiotic waste. The site is historic, a camera industry institution and they are putting it in the bin? How about they get off their lazy arses and find a buyer for it. I would not be surprised if the headline is a ruse to drum up interest and sympathy so it can indeed be transferred to new owners. Camera reviews, insights and a huge database of every camera ever released in the trash = cultural vandalism. Not to mention the closure of the forums on top of that.

Surely with such an incredible amount of camera and lens links and forum posts on Google and all over social media a store like B&H would be more than happy to pay Amazon for the site.

The question is whether Amazon would feel it worthwhile as it is pocket change for them. They clearly don't consider a small team of staff at DPReview any different to any other dispensable worker-drones. This is of course extremely ironic. Here are Chris & Jordan thinking they're a bit special and famous when in actual fact they're just dispensable canon fodder on a short term road back to profitability!

• @AndrewReid_EOSHD

I have no idea what the ad market for such a photo centric web site is/was, but looking at their info page it states that "ad packages start at $35,000" I was a bit shocked. Sounds to expensive. Unless you are Canon looking for a one year deal. Oh well.

As for the site itself, Amazon might have tried a sell out, put perhaps not gotten a serious deal. I guess there is a financial benefit in having a substantial loss as a tax write off.

As for Chris & Jordan they have announced a move to the Peta Pixel YouTube channel and will be back in may 2023 with new content.

• @AndrewReid_EOSHD

Well, just stop and think.

It is very small sales now, market is extremely saturated. Amazon does not care about such small niche, that they financed for years btw. Companies do not want any forums (as even Google and our Yandex had special small teams to lower the ranking of forums since 2014). They want social networks where all community can be destroyed by some indian student because he had bad mood today. new approach is also good as you don't have any contacts or info about your subscribers, so you will behave good, as economic will go bonkers and war will spread. If you won't - suddenly, even without rules everything will be wiped out.

• This is a great loss for the community!

• @RoadsidePicnic

Almost all camera makers are going backwards.

And we must remember - Android had been developed to be camera firmware OS :-)

Now core function of camera must be extremely powerful chip, ala top Quallcom offerings, just even more powerful, and also with online AI cloud connection.

Next gen smartphones will redo all photo, even clothing, relight and redo skin in less then two years. And I do not mean current small internal AI, it'll be huge extremely powerful NNs in the cloud.

• I remember 2005 reading they're reviews...

I see it different way it's the end of an era... it's a pattern through history that can be seen trough al levels and that's it...

• I will be using the https://l-mount-forum.com/ for forum use as a replacement for DPReview.

• @halfmac

It is very small community.

• https://m.dpreview.com/news/0507902613/dpreview-closure-an-update

"...the content will remain available as an archive."

• @DrDave

Well, it is just another neural network.

Actually I propose to disallow any paid service or software based on private neural network. As this is most clear form of extortion. Where people want to sell same work again and again. At least with previous software they told that it is expert smart programmers and top mathematicians. This is not the case here.