Personal View site logo
Glidecam Model for GH2 with Light Lenses
  • I’m looking into getting a Glidecam and need some advice regarding choosing the right model in regards to the payload.

I currently have a Zhiyun Crane V2 that I use with my GH2 and it supports a payload of 0.8 to 3.9 lbs. The lightest setup I use on it (GH2+20mm f/1.7 version 1) is around 1.2 lbs while the heavier ones go up to right around 3.9 lbs.

The problem is that I’m recovering from some health problems and an upcoming surgery next week that make walking in the way meant to reduce vertical jitter easier said than done. Thus, I’m looking at a Glidecam in the hopes of getting more of a swaying up and down than the abrupt jerks I have with my motorized gimbal.

The Glidcam HD-1000 has been advertised as handling a payload from 1.5 lbs to 3 lbs. The Glidecam HD-2000 has been advertised as handling 2-6 lbs. The HD-4000 advertises 4-10 lbs. None of these seems (at least on paper) to be able to cover the full range I use.

To make things even more complicated, I am considering combining the Crane V2 and Glidecam in the DIY Trinity knockoff approach that Momentum Productions popularized - which would mean needing a minimum payload of 3.6 lbs supported for the Glidecam.

My question is, has anyone had experience with different Glidecam on a GH2? Can any of them handle a setup as light as the GH2+pancake even though on paper it would be too light? Is using too light a weight or too heavy a weight more of a problem?

• 2 Replies sorted by
  • In my glidecam days I had an HD1000, and used it for my 60D and then my GH4, both with the Tokina 11-16mm and a Manfrotto 501 quickrelease. This was at the top of the weight range for the HD1000 but it flew well. For a GH2 on the HD1000 I think you'd want to add weight if anything. The HD2000 will just be unnecessarily big and heavy for a little GH2.

• Thanks - it’s helpful to hear from people with experience.