Personal View site logo
Sony FX9 Camcorder
  • 30 Replies sorted by
  • Atomos released AtomOS 10.42 firmware update for the Shogun 7, it enables capturing RAW output from the Sony FX9 (and the XDCA-FX9 extension unit) and allows saving it in 12-bit ProRes RAW at up to DCI 4Kp60, or up to DCI 2Kp180 continuous.

• Firmware update, ver. 2.1

• Quad full UHD 120p RAW output via the XDCA-FX9, which is a piece of hardware that's sold separate ($2499 USD). You'll Atomos Ninja V+ Pro Kit. If you own an FX6, you can output RAW via the Ninja V+ without any additional hardware.
    • Adjusting the white balance has been improved.

https://pro.sony/ue_US/support-resources/pxw-fx9/software

• PXW-FX9 V3.00 Firmware

Refer to the Release Notes for details.

• Added imager scan mode selection options
    • S700 protocol is supported via Ethernet
    • Auto focus function improvements
    • Status screen function improvements
    • Camera ID + Reel# format file naming is supported
    • De-squeeze display in the viewfinder is supported
    • Simple SDR viewfinder display is supported when shooting in HDR
    • Extended proxy file metadata information
    • Recording and chunk file transfer of proxy files is supported
    • Simple C3 Portal connection using C3 Portal App

https://pro.sony/en_GB/support-resources/pxw-fx9/software/00271849

• I've made no secret of my disdain for Sony sensors or my love for RED cameras and footage. I'm currently working on a project that was shot with both a Red Dragon and an FX9, by the same DP, same operator, and when they told me most of the footage was shot with the FX9, I groaned. Especially when I saw the very processed look they were going for. (I should mention that my current process relies heavily on monkeying with the footage's camera settings in Resolve, and when i saw the Sony adjustment options I was not hopeful that i could easily get the look they were going for the way I had done for them in the past with their RED footage...)

I was dead wrong. I'm in love with this camera AND Sony's MXF format. The amount of control I have in post is amazing, and how far I can bend the image before breaking is jaw dropping. Now every time I come to a scene shot on the RED, I groan, cuz the process on the R3d files is not as nimble or as quick as the MXF to get astounding results. What i can do with skin tone and skin detail (mid-tone detail) vs the RED is kinda mind blowing.

I can't post before and after images here yet, as the project is still in post, and will be released this X-mas season, but I will try to later... Just chiming in to say: Sony has completely won me over.

Just wow.