Personal View site logo
cheap, good camcorder for live stuff?
  • Do you know of such a thing? I mean, a product which replaces old (but good) DV gear in terms of reliable connectivity and output. Doesn't need to have good sound. It's always a bitch having the good gear available for "easy" jobs, so a cheapish camcorder might be an OK expenditure.

I was thinking about a hx9v for such a job (it could be useful in other circumstances too), but then again, hdmi connectors are not very reliable - especially not on a compact.
  • 7 Replies sorted by
  • Cheers! I'll have a look if it's on sale in my country. :)
  • If you can find used Canon HFS100, it is a great camcorder, great image quality.
  • One of my favorite video bloggers has been recently pushing Point N Shoots for video. The Canon A1200 shoots only 720p but it does 24p and over 20mbs codec and costs just $100.

She recently bought a Canon SX230 and it does 1080p at 24p and has a 36mbs codec. I bought my parents a A1200 and it shoots some pretty decent 720p. These PnS are doing better and better video.

She shot this video on a Canon SX200:
  • Thanks for all the input, keep it coming! :)
  • here is a test video i made with Canon HFS 100 (i sold it long time ago, sometimes missing it ...)