Personal View site logo
Panasonic DC-S5 - expensive APS-C camera in disguise
  • 137 Replies sorted by
  • Port Angeles, Washington, USA. Lumix S5 20-60mm "Kit Lens"

201211-080758-053.jpg
    800 x 533 - 83K
  • New firmware

1. Improved AF performance
      • Recognition performance during video recording in V-Log has been improved.
      • Human/Animal recognition can be set ON or OFF when the AF mode is set to [1-Area] or [1-Area+].
      • [AF+MF] can be used during video recording.
    2. Added video functions
      • The following C4K(4096×2160) video recording mode in MOV format has been supported.
        • C4K60p/50p, 4:2:0 8bit LongGOP, 150Mbps, LPCM
        • C4K30p/25p/24p, 4:2:2 10bit LongGOP, 150Mbps, LPCM
        • C4K30p/25p/24p, 4:2:0 8bit LongGOP, 100Mbps, LPCM
      • RAW video data output over HDMI has been supported.
        • [5.9K] / [4K] / [Anamorphic (4:3) 3.5K] 12-bit RAW video data can be output over HDMI.
    3. The Apple ProRes RAW can be recorded on Atomos NINJA V.
      • All functions may not be available depending on the situation.
      • Software that supports Apple ProRes RAW is required to edit RAW video recorded with NINJA V.
      • Apply the LUT(Look up table ) available on the following customer supports site to make the same color
    4. Grading as V-Log/V-Gamut https://panasonic.jp/support/global/cs/dsc/download/lut/s1h_raw_lut/
      • It is possible to display the Vector Scope.
      • [Master Pedestal Level] function has been added.
      • [SS/Gain Operation] function has been added.
    5. Other added functions
      • [L.ClassicNeo] and [L.Monochrome S] have been added in [Photo Style].
      • [Horizontal Image Flip(Monitor)] / [Vertical Image Flip(Monitor)] enables to reverse or not to reverse the monitor image when the free-angle monitor is rotated.
    6. Improved operational stability
      • There were cases low contrast images were not properly saved. This bug has been fixed.
      • There were cases the light trails were interrupted in Live View Composite shooting. This bug has been fixed.
      • There were cases line like noise arose at the bottom of the image when it was shot at high shutter speed. This bus has been fixed.

https://av.jpn.support.panasonic.com/support/global/cs/dsc/download/index4.html

• @theusualeditor No punching in though I think when you use an external recorder you can do it if not recording in camera. Not what your looking for, but worth mentioning. As to the crop no you can't tried to set it to a special function but once your recording it ignores it. Again, the external recorder will let you do it as long as your not recording in camera just using the hdmi feed. So you can hack around it if that's helpful.

• @Scot thanks for the useful information. I did watch your video about linear focusing and find it very interesting how far they have come along in that area. Part of the reason I stayed with manual lenses was because linear focusing by wire was so unpredictable before.. and still is in many other cameras/lenses.

I know about focus peaking, but in the A7III there is a useful feature to help with manual focusing: The user can "punch in" the image, I believe x4 or x7 times, even while recording, to accurately focus by closely looking at edges and such. Is there a feature like this on the S5?

Lastly, and this is an impossible one: Can the S5 (or S1 for that matter) able to APS-C crop on the fly? basically.. while recording? Thanks!

• I can answer some of your questions. Yes, there is a DC coupler coming. You need a battery installed for the usbc to work. Personally, I'd go with the coupler far more robust connection. AF is much improved, but MF is still the way to go sometimes, I'd say watch some of my basic videos like my Linear focusing above. I do some plodding around with the stabilization and I'd say it's pretty good. I'm about as far from ninja walking as you can get in my videos : )

• @yaz72 Do you have any update on the stabilization VS the A7III?

Also, what are the powering options for this camera? Are DC couplers available? Can it be powered from USB without a battery in the compartment? I know that there is no contest vs the A7III phase detection, but since all my lenses are manual I am starting to consider this model.

• Zacuto S5 Cage

• Ultra Slim & Lightweight
    • Cage with side handle .9 lbs, Cage without side handle .6 lbs
    • Includes a Zacuto camera hand strap for stability and comfort while using the camera's grip
    • Access to camera's battery, hotshoe, and full button control
    • Attaches to camera's neck strap eyelets for secure connection
    • Top Z-Rail for top handle or accessories
    • ACT compatible (Arca Swiss compatible) 
    • HDMI Cable strain relief with ight angle adapter 
    • Optional Tactical Handle - top or side handle. 
    • Optional Zarn
    • Replacement 1/4-20 Screw
    • $250

https://store.zacuto.com/panasonic-s5-cage/

sa15238.jpg
    791 x 584 - 40K
  • I bought it as well. Image quality is stellar and IBIS is great, I watched a lot of S5 reviews on youtube, some of them are full of bullshit, obviously biased.

• I've done a few videos on the S5. I bought it with concern I might regret it but to the contrary I'm happy with it. The contrast focus is much improved and I find some of its positive points outweigh the negative for me. Here is a video on Linear focusing which is great.

• Low-light 10bit V log 4K ISO400 test video, at night