Personal View site logo
Panasonic G9, m43 4K monster with LCD on top
  • 273 Replies sorted by
  • The new 10 bit firmware makes the G9 just as tempting as any offering at them moment, and nearly tips it as the current king in my opinion. Other than low light performance the Micro four thirds format still smokes everything else out there for real world video performance for 99% of users (even those that may think they are the 1%) for some major reasons. 1- Rolling shutter. Look at Fuji X series and check out rolling shutter, look at Nikon, Look at Canon. Panasonic I will give credit for having relatively little on their full frame, but F those prices with a splintered wooden spoon! I digress.. rolling shutter is pretty much non existence with Panasonic G series camera's. The only time it is noticeably is extremely fast movements, or with trains or cars moving by fast and close up. The other biggie is bit rates.. compare. Fuji is an exception here too. And why I would currently rate the best offerings for most of us (for video) at any price G9, X-h1 or X-t3 (both have real merits the other lacks), Nikon Z7 (Z6 is nice, but if you are choosing Nikon over a Fuji, it is likely not for video alone). I am rambling on about this, cause I suspect there are allot of fresh faces here that have never really looked at a simple G7's video next to a Z6/Z7. Seriously, G7 is better in many regards, for a 10th the price. All this said, I am still on the fence, primarily because I personally am focusing allot more on photo's lately, and living in Tokyo, I do allot of night time shots... but there are allot of lights to help me out =) Z7 is attractive to me for 50mp fanciness for both stills, and dynamic timelapses including starscapes. DC G9 is so much better in every other regard, and no slouch in low light despite the hype. Put anything lower than f2 on it, and if you can't get noise free real world night shots, you need to study up a bit more. Same for pretty much any G series camera from properly hacked GH2 onward. As for the G9, I never bought a GH5/s because I was waiting for the G10 with what the G9 apparently is now offering. They knew a G9 with 10 bit would smoke the GH5, but I reckon this is a sign the GH6 or whatever they call it is coming, and that a G10 is far away.

• No 10 bit 24p? Seriously?

• It says in the menu in the review. 4k 150M 10bit 24p

• @zcream Interesting tx

• Firmware v2.0

1. Expanded compatibility with Profoto wireless transmitters
      • Profoto wireless transmitters "Air Remote TTL-O/P" and "Profoto Connect-O/P" can be used.
      • All functions may not be available depending on the situation.
    2. Improved AF performance
      • [Animal Detect.] has been added to AF mode.
      • It is possible to switch the subject to focus on by pressing the joystick in [Face/Eye/Body/Animal Detect.] mode.
      • [AF-ON: Near Shift] and [AF-ON: Far Shift] functions have been added. [AF-ON: Near Shift] preferably focuses on a subject nearby while [AF-ON: Far Shift] preferably focuses on a subject far away.
      • Focus Peaking function is available in any AF mode.
      • It is possible to set continuous AF on the live view screen in Creative Video mode or in other video recording mode when the video recording area is displayed.
    3. Enhanced video functions
      • 4K 30p/25p 4:2:2 10-bit internal recording is supported.
      • 4K 60p/50p 4:2:2 10-bit HDMI output is supported.
      • Luminance level for 10-bit video is supported.
      • VFR (Variable Frame Rate) shooting is supported.
      • HDR video recording is supported.
      • V-Log L recording and Waveform Monitor (WFM) are available with the Upgrade Software Key DMW-SFU1(sold separately).
    4. Other added functions
      • [MODE2] has been added to High Resolution mode, which reduced subject's motion blur.
      • [AWBw] has been added to WB mode.
      • [Highlight Weighted] has been added to metering mode.
      • [Exposure Offset Adjust.] has been added to Custom menu, which enables adjustment of the standard exposure value for all metering modes.
      • [0.5SEC] has been added for an option of [Duration Time (photo)] in [Auto Review].
    5. Other improvements
      • AE can be locked with the [AF/AE LOCK] button when ISO Auto is set in M mode.
      • [MODE1] has been added to the Live View Boost function, which increases the frame rate for smooth image display to enable easier manual focusing.
    6. Improved operational stability
      • There were cases where Backup Recording using the Double Card Slot Function stopped during writing. This bug has been fixed.
      • AF operation following the pressing of [AF-ON] in MF mode was unstable when the LVF Frame Rate was at 120 fps and the camera was under dim lighting. This bug has been fixed.
      • There were cases where the images shot vertically did not rotate on playback. This bug has been fixed.
      • Operational stability of image stabilizer has been improved. (When [Image Stabilizer] > [E-Stabilization(Video)] and [Boost I.S.(Video)] is ON. )

https://av.jpn.support.panasonic.com/support/global/cs/dsc/download/index.html

• Not mentioned in the official release note, but also FHD has neen enhanced to 100mbits, 4:2:2, 10bit up to 60p. It's an upgrade you would expect from a new model, instead they decided to "de-cripple" the current one (no doubt also because of the S line which absorbs most of their efforts) . Kind of Panasonic. They are still capitalists, but not of the worst species :)

• @gaman

Thanks for addition. It is also nice.

One thing I like to see is much more options in low bitrates range.

As Panasonic encoder is really good if it is no or slow movement, so even low bitrates are nice.

• In the end, Panasonic is the only manufacturer to offers such a rich palette of video options in, relatively, low priced cameras. Still, they also have a pro line of camcorders to "protect" in the same way as with Canon and, especially, Sony. But with both of them, if you want 10bit and 60p, you need to shell out a LOT more.

• @gaman

Just note how low is the actual cost to manufacture of this cameras.

Panasonic can even lower price further towards $699 with time (and this includes transport, retail part and all taxes).

In present state, if you remove all parasites top of the line new m43 camera can be sold for $499.

• Was hoping to see a big G9 sale today--phooey.

• @DrDave

Well, it is already lot of $997 bundles, how much lower you want?

• Will it be crazy to change from the A6500 to the G9?

In my experience I had the Panasonic GH2, GX7 and GX8, as well as the Nex-5N and currently the A6500. I hate the Sony menu, in a still photo I am not convinced by the colors, although shooting in RAW I have verified that the colors of the GX7 and GX8 in the same scenarios are better and I don't need to process them so much.

But my big question is in the video section is if the G9 will be at the level of A6500, because the tests I have seen of this one although they have quality, its look seems less cinematic to me than the A6500, although there are not so many video tests of the G9 after its update.

• Not a big difference. There's a tiny bit of extra sharpness from the Sony, but it's a really small difference. You can wait till the next round of cameras, or even look at a Zcam E2. I don't think the panny colors are better, but I try to film very flat anyway. As far as cinematic, the smaller sensor is going to give you more of a deep focus look, but you ca still get plenty of separation with even a medium, fast telephoto. I don't think the grain of either camera is cinematic, especially, but they do take great video if you have a good lens.
    So the main difference is the "look" of the different sized sensors, and of course the Sony has a very slight edge in sharpness and LL. Panny has a ton of great lenses.

• DrDave's description is accurate in what it covers. However, there is one really big difference not addressed: rolling shutter. The RS of the A6500 is really, really bad - the worst in 4K of just about any camera. Video is about motion - sharpness is the least important attribute, but RS is important.

G9 AF is still worse than the AF of the A6500; this may not be important depending on what you shoot.

The G9 has 10bit 422 internal color - so that means you can color grade with more freedom with less artifacts than the 8bit of the Sony - color grading is what makes video cinematic.

• Firmware v2.1 released

Picture freeze may occur at burst recording using an external flash when camera is set to AFC/AFF and LVF frame rate 120fps, has been improved.

https://av.jpn.support.panasonic.com/support/global/cs/dsc/download/index.html

• Panasonic Lumix G9 Mirrorless Camera Body+Battery grip for $997

https://www.adorama.com/ipcg9.html