Personal View site logo
Vegas Post - ill conceived Magix and Hitfilm VFX child
  • For the first time, we integrate video editing, VFX, compositing tools and image processing into a powerful video post production suite: VEGAS POST.

VEGAS POST offers industry-renowned editing tools coupled with FXhome's expertise in compositing and visual effects. This jointly-developed software solution includes the brand new VEGAS Pro 17 for fast, professional video editing, VEGAS Effects for high-end compositing and effects, and VEGAS Image for creative image processing. With a perpetual license and flexible subscription plans available, VEGAS POST provides an attractive new alternative to conventional solutions in the market.

VEGAS POST: What's Included

VEGAS Pro 17

VEGAS Effects - renamed Hitfilm plugins pack

For highly efficient post production, the new VEGAS POST integrates creative effects tools directly into the video editing workflow, including:

• Over 800 effects and filters
    • Particle generators for super-realistic effects
    • 3D model rendering
    • Green Screen removal
    • Muzzle Flash generator
    • Video scopes for accurate color analysis

VEGAS Image - renamed Hitfilm entry level image editor

VEGAS Image is a powerful photo-editing tool that keeps image data RAW and all layers self-contained. Flexible layers can be accessed and adjusted in real time and as many times as needed, without disturbing anything else in the image. Key features include:

• Built-in keying tools like Chroma Key
    • Professional compositing tools
    • Easy color adjustment
    • Dozens of powerful image filters and effects
    • LUT support
    • Flexible layer access and adjustment

Learn more at https://www.vegascreativesoftware.com/us/vegas-post/

• 23 Replies sorted by
  • Look a lot like after effects interface, is it what they trying to do?

• PR

VEGAS POST released: The smart alternative for creative video editing & post production

For the first time, VEGAS Creative Software integrates video editing, VFX, compositing tools and image processing into a powerful video post production suite.

VEGAS Creative Software (www.vegascreativesoftware.com) announced today the immediate availability of VEGAS POST, a powerful new suite of video editing, VFX, compositing and imaging tools for video professionals, editors and VFX artists.

Announced at NAB 2019 as a joint collaboration between VEGAS Creative Software and FXhome – creators of the popular editing and VFX software, HitFilm – VEGAS POST offers industry-renowned editing tools coupled with FXhome’s expertise in compositing and visual effects. The result of this partnership is a comprehensive array of features and capabilities, ideally suited for video professionals in post production facilities of all sizes and requirements – from individual artists to large post production studios, broadcasters and SME (small/medium enterprise) installations.

This jointly-developed software solution includes the brand new VEGAS Pro 17 for fast, professional video editing, VEGAS Effects for high-end compositing and effects, and VEGAS Image for creative image processing. With a perpetual license and flexible subscription plans available, VEGAS POST provides an attractive new alternative to conventional solutions in the market.

“We’re so pleased to partner with VEGAS Creative Software in this new venture,” says FXhome’s CEO and Founder, Josh Davies. “With the combined force of VEGAS and FXhome technology in one product, we’re offering professional filmmakers, editors and VFX artists a powerful workflow, more flexibility and value for money.”

“VEGAS POST brings a true alternative to the high-end post production market,” says VEGAS Product Manager, Gary Rebholz. “Everything is anchored by VEGAS Pro, which with version 17 delivers over 30 new features that make editing faster and more efficient than ever. Add to that the powerful compositing, VFX, titling and particle generation tools of VEGAS Effects and the sleek image-editing approach of VEGAS Image, and you've got a ton of power at the top end of post production. We're very excited to release VEGAS POST!”

VEGAS POST: What's Included

With the new VEGAS Pro 17, VEGAS Effects and VEGAS Image at its core, the VEGAS POST suite of tools offers the VEGAS community of editors and VFX artists a comprehensive creative workflow, including:

VEGAS Pro 17

With more than 30 new features, VEGAS Pro 17 hits a new milestone in high-performance video editing software with such features as:

• Nested timelines for high-speed workflow
    • Logical unified Color Grading panel
    • Complete HDR workflow including HLG support
    • Planar Motion Tracking
    • Optical-Flow Slow Motion
    • GPU accelerated decoding for AVC/HEVC

VEGAS Effects

For highly efficient post production, the new VEGAS POST integrates creative effects tools directly into the video editing workflow, including:

• Over 800 effects and filters
    • Particle generators for super-realistic effects
    • 3D model rendering
    • Green Screen removal
    • Muzzle Flash generator
    • Video scopes for accurate color analysis

VEGAS Image

VEGAS Image is a powerful photo editing tool that keeps image data RAW and all layers self-contained. Flexible layers can be accessed and adjusted in real time and as many times as needed, without disturbing anything else in the image. Key features include:

• Built-in keying tools like Chroma Key
    • Professional compositing tools
    • Easy color adjustment
    • Dozens of powerful image filters and effects
    • LUT support
    • Flexible layer access and adjustment

Learn more at www.vegascreativesoftware.com/

Pricing and availability

VEGAS POST is now available online:

VEGAS POST – $999.00 / € 999,00 / £799.00

VEGAS POST 365 – starting at $21.00 / € 21,00 / £16.80 per month

• Cool.... but too late for me. I used Vegas for almost 10 years and loved it. Only problem was all this back and forth with other software to get through the day (FX). Then I jumped to davinci resolve studio and fusion. Still looking over my shoulder to see if something changed with Vegas... didn’t happen. Now I’m skilled with another software and don’t look back. Times up. Btw.. what’s up with the flashy graphics in these promotion flicks. Looks like they aim for a young amateur audience.

• @fix

It is just level of Magix marketing team :-) Extremely low level.

• Bit sour, but if that's how you feel....

Real answer is that these programs come from FXHome and so does the promo material.

• @kinvermark

Original footage can come from anything (including Hitfilm promos or such).

But it is Magix marketing that making final thing and gets big money for their work.

• @Vitaliy_Kiselev Yeah, extremely low level, is almost an understatement. Surprised it got approved.

• Like I said, its really FXHome's Hitfilm and Imerge with Magix Vegas branding. I think they were behind schedule and wanted to keep up with the Vegas 17 release. Magix Vegas team is small and they are still finding their way.

I don't have much interest in these programs, but if you do, the best thing is to download a trial.

• @kinvermark

As far as I understand it all comes from top management (Magix one, Vegas team does not care and know that it'll all go away soon), as they accidently found nice idea around 1 month before NAB :-)

I think it will drag for 1-2 years and will silently die. With high probability Hitfilm will die in same time.

• The last part of your comment is the most interesting part of the discussion for me.

I was never enticed by Hitfilm or Imerge although I do have a need for motion graphics and composited title effects, etc. (But, of course, that's just me.) They seem to have missed the mark by being so focused on "star wars on a budget' FX rather than more practical elements that editors need. The vague notion that there needs to be a competitor to After Effects is sound enough, but the implementation does not achieve this.

Opinions?

• @kinvermark

Idea of Hitfilm is that you can make simplified, but still very complex, product that people need to abandon later if they want to grow in profession. Same is true for modern Vegas that lags more and more behind competition with each year.

BM approach is opposite - lets throw everything in and keep people inside infrastructure until their grave.

• Agreed. The two strategies have different end points, but share a lot of the same customers. At present, it is very hard for Vegas due to BM's free option. If Resolve ever goes back to "pro" pricing or, god forbid, subscription, that would change.

• @kinvermark

I won't be surprised that quite soon we will see Studio version fully free and it will also include few top software plugins, like best titlers and such.

If camera sales and overall economy will worsen a lot I expect BM to make grand move dropping prices on few core product below self cost and also wipe out remaining competitors in editors business.

Most probably they will start offering fully free software packages to large firms and corporations in exchange to some service contracts.

• Sony Vegas was actually quit competitive ones. It was quit fast in render and the whole layout made me actually jump from premiere. Than came 4K and the whole thing started to fall from there. It’s a bit sad. Lack of ambition maybe. Not final cut tragic, but not far away either.

• @fix

It is not 4K only.

Almost add editors, except FCP X, inside are still made for slow HDDs and slow CPUs with lot of caching stuff and lot RAM buffering (yes, with lot of modern stuff added atop or to the sides). While modern editor must be made for SSD or even only NVMe drives, must do almost all pipeline inside GPU memory and also use all available hardware decode and encode options.

With Vegas lack of size and resources happened , you can check topic on semiconductors here, same stuff happened to many many firms in all industries during monopolisation.

All good feeling or rising editors are actually financed from something else. Even Adobe put lot of income they get from photo tools into video tools. BM is using some secret Singapore banking financing and their hardware sales income. FCP X is just plain financed from mobile and notebooks sales and services.

• @Vitaliy_Kiselev Yes much truth in what you are saying. And there lays the lack of ambition. Sometimes you need to take the big change and deliver your software on a totally new base. These paradigm jumps kills software, and rightfully so. What surprises me is that a heavy program as Vegas dident have(or use) the ability to adapt. It’s why they are loosing ground

• @fix

Sometimes you need to take the big change and deliver your software on a totally new base

Well, you can go back to FCP X introduction :-) Even Apple barely pulled it with all their reality distortion field. :-)

• @Vitaliy_Kiselev Yes. Problem with FCP was that Appel wanted it too be more user friendly. That was a BIG mistake. All professional I know, that used FCP as they’re main nle, couldn’t believe what happened. Ironically, apple have the $ muscle to win the day. FCP is a story we all should remember empirically, not making the same mistake again.

• Vegas is the smallest of the "big" players, they need to do something if they want to catch up and overtake the others. Partnering with FXHome is probably a smart idea.

• VEGAS POST won the Best Editing Software of NAB Week 2020 award from Videomaker magazine!

Mine god.