Personal View site logo
RED Komodo - last attempt to save old developments
  • 32 Replies sorted by

we are now in the external testing stage of Komodo... will be for the next few months. During prep late last week with one of our favorite teams of course an impossible request comes in which had about a 4% probability of getting done in time. Low and behold... a few dedicated rockstars from the RED engineering team worked around the clock to get it done and they just got it done. I know most of you came here for the pretty picture ... but now that I have your attention I wanted to make sure everyone knew just how great the people that make all your RED cameras are. Truly above and beyond. So yeah... I’m stealing this moment to say thank you to my team that keeps on doing the impossible... thank you and carry on.

RED could not wait any longer, so they need at least publish marketing things to oppose two new 6K raw cameras.

But this time it will tank completely and Jarred won't save the ship.

sa9572.jpg
    800 x 508 - 42K
  • @tfinn

The target market here is wealthy people who will not use often.

Capitalism loves such things.

As main purpose of camera consumer for all capitalist firms is to put camera on shelf or break it and buy new ASAP. Usage is not required unless it makes you buy new accessories.

• And to be clear, I think you are 100% right, Vitaly. The target market here is wealthy people who will not use often.

• Exactly, it will require a smartphone, plus "x", and "x", and after a few more "x"'s, then it will be ready to shoot. In fairness, that's true of a lot of cameras.

I don't begrudge Red. They have their brand and they have absolute fanatics who will pay any amount of $ for anything they do. All of this Komodo stuff seems like a distraction to the JinniMag stuff, anyway.

• @tfinn

It will require their smartphone for all advanced features, as besides it will have only record button.

Target cost to production is around $499 and this is considering very expensive Red methods.

• Considering that $7k-$9k is the cost of four 1 TB mini-mags, I am going to guess that it will not be "ready to shoot" for that cost.

• Red set the low-end professional product road map many year's ago when the announced but never delivered 3k for $3k (Scarlet). Now they are following other's roadmaps and strategies which is sad. That said, their top of the range products produce great images, so if the can offer similar quality with a lower total cost of ownership/configuration by integrating relatively affordable media etc, it would be great to have a RED sensor based camera that could be ready to shoot for $7k-$9k.