Personal View site logo
Panasonic DC-S1H Lumix Cinema Camera - S1 with fan and articulated screen
  • 218 Replies sorted by
  • I'm going to go to the announcement, will try and get some decent pics of whatever the heck it is.

• IBIS
    • ND filter
    • price between $5,000 and $6000

Price is completely weird.

• "The prototype of the LUMIX S1H will be exhibited at the “Cine Gear Expo 2019” show from May 30 to June 2, 2019.

The price is of course not yet communicated.

Availability: Fall 2019"

Panasonic-S1H.jpg
    700 x 421 - 23K
  • The H stands for Helium. Last ditch effort to shave weight =)

• I think H stands for "High priced" :-)

• I thought H stands for: „Hope it sells“

• From the autumn of 2019, it will be necessary to count on the LUMIX S1H. It’s the 3rd Full Format Camera from Panasonic, after the brave Lumix S1 and S1R.

This 3rd box, very oriented cinema and video (more than the S1) announces a world premiere of shock: the video recording in 6K / 24p (in format 3: 2) or 5,9K / 30p (in format 16: 9) . It also announces the C4K / 4K (the famous DCI) in 60p in 10 bits. It also adapts to 4: 3 anamorphic mode. Rumors were running about the arrival of the 8K, or even a GH6, but it will be 6K in Full Format. Not bad…

In short, the engineers seem to have concentrated their efforts on an invisible but problematic parameter: the heating of the case. And the higher the resolution, the more it heats! As a result, heat dispersion seems to have been studied to provide the expected video performance. However, the manufacturer states in its statement that when the temperature of the device exceeds the certified operating temperature, the device can automatically stop video recording to protect it from heat damage.

4K MODE

4K mode is not forgotten with the ability to record in 4K or better (from our point of view), to crop 6K videos in 4K, which should increase the image resolution in Crop mode or allow to reframe more. Stabilization could also be improved in this same logic.

As for personalization of the image, the LUMIX S1H also features the V-Log / V-Gamut with a dynamic range of 14 stops, practically equivalent to that of the brand’s VariCam, enhancing the texture of human skin.

Note that the S1H’s recording format is compatible with the V-Log format recorded by a VariCam or the V-Log L recorded by the LUMIX GH5 / GH5S.

The video recording length is unlimited. It is “camcorder” type camera.

The prototype of the LUMIX S1H will be exhibited at the “Cine Gear Expo 2019” show from May 30 to June 2, 2019.

The price is of course not yet communicated.

Availability: Fall 2019

For me it seems like they had NOTHING.

And want to announce something because Sony A7s III is coming very soon.

sa8587.jpg
    547 x 408 - 76K
  • looks like a different grip design, with record button on top and on/off on shutter, a welcome change.

• wait is that just the G9?

• @pureaxis, looks to be. Thought it looked smaller, and got excited for a moment thinking they may have sized down things considerably.

• According to an article with leaked informations, the body will be slightly bigger than the S1/S1R body due to the extra processing power and heat dissipation requirements

sa8601.jpg
    800 x 425 - 41K
  • Panasonic Corporation is proud to announce the newest addition to the LUMIX S series, the LUMIX S1H, a new Digital Single Lens Mirrorless camera equipped with a full-frame image sensor. As the world's first camera capable of video recording at 6K/24p ^1^ (3:2 aspect ratio), 5.9K/30p (16:9 aspect ratio), and 10-bit 60p 4K/C4K.2 *3, it combines the video quality of a professional camera and the high mobility of a mirrorless camera. The LUMIX S1H will be released to world markets in fall 2019.

The main features of the new LUMIX S1H are as follows:

High resolution up to 6K for multiple formats.

Maximizing the use of the pixels in the full-frame image sensor, the LUMIX S1H, as a digital camera, has achieved 6K/24p (3:2 aspect ratio) or 5.9K/30p (16:9 aspect ratio) video recording for the first time in the world. It is also the world's first full-frame digital interchangeable lens system camera^*1^ to enable 10-bit 60p 4K/C4K video recording. It accommodates a variety of recording formats like 4:3 Anamorphic mode, to meet professional needs. Its high-resolution data can also be used to create 4K videos with higher image quality or to crop images in 4K.

Rich gradation and a wide color space virtually equal to those of cinema cameras.

The LUMIX S1H features V-Log/V-Gamut with a wide dynamic range of 14+ stops, which are virtually the same as those of the Panasonic Cinema VariCam, allowing it to precisely capture everything from dark to bright areas. So much so, that the color and even the texture of human skin are faithfully reproduced. Designed under consistent color management, the S1H's recorded footage is compatible with V-Log footage recorded by VariCam or the LUMIX GH5/GH5S.

High product reliability that allows unlimited video recording.

In every S1H recording mode, video can be recorded non-stop under the certified operating temperature so the user can concentrate on shooting.

Since the 1990s, Panasonic has been a leader in the development of video recording technologies for digital cinema, and has produced a host of innovative technologies for impressive cinematic imagery, such as 24p video recording, slow motion video using a variable frame rate, and the wide dynamic range and color space of V-Log/V-Gamut. By working with film creators for more than 25 years, Panasonic has successfully designed a number of cinema cameras that exhibit stunningly high video performance. The LUMIX GH1 made its debut in 2009 as the world's first Digital Single Lens Mirrorless camera capable of full-HD AVCHD video recording.  The LUMIX GH4 was launched in 2014 as the world's first Digital Single Lens Mirrorless camera capable of 4K video recording. Next, the LUMIX GH5 was released in 2017 with the world's first 4K/60p, 4:2:2 10-bit 4K/30p recording capability.The LUMIX GH5 is highly acclaimed by film creators for its high performance, excellent mobility, and superb versatility in film production. And now, in 2019, the LUMIX S1H joins as Panasonic's newest cinema camera.

Panasonic now offers three innovative models in the LUMIX S Series of full-frame Digital Single Lens Mirrorless cameras -- the S1R, the S1, and the new S1H. The LUMIX S1R is ideal for capturing high-resolution images, while the LUMIX S1 is an advanced hybrid camera for high-quality photos and videos, and the LUMIX S1H is designed especially for film production. With this lineup, Panasonic is committed to meet the demands of every imaging professional by challenging the constant evolution of the photo/video culture in today's new digital era.

The LUMIX S1H prototype will be exhibited at the 2019 Cine Gear Expo.

• My source on history of this camera:

• Camera was not planned ahead much, hence almost no mentioning on top meetings
    • Some engineering issue happened with S1 so they could not announce planned 6K (as in S1H) at proper CP++ time that should be the case
    • Sony, as they supply all sensors, prohibited making rescaled 8K as had been intended in initial goal
    • S1H has slightly higher clocked LSI and better heatsink
    • Body has small design changes
    • Panasonic now is in panic due to sales numbers of FF cameras
  • H = HEATSINK. LOL.

• No ibis or ND mention at all

• @paglez

Well, yes, as this time rumors had been almost all wrong.

• It feels like Panasonic is trying to squeeze the last bit of money from rich and uninformed before getting back down to reality. Maybe better put, riding high on the success of GH5 and GH5s and hoping some of those users prefer to come along with Panasonic to full frame regardless of price. It is hard to imagine they will produce many of these camera's, and seems like they are just going through the motions of creating a stepping stone to 8K full frame, and then micro four thirds 8K just in time for the Olympics. You don't get rich selling heavy camera's to a few professionals going to the Olympics, and Panasonic knows this. You do build hype though if you are not careless and price yourself out of the spotlight... ooOOPS.

• @mee

I have big issues with current camera companies management.

But my present core theory is that they just do not understand wider picture with economics. Similar to some strange guys who asked me to remove any economics on PV and focus on daylong camera guided masturbation. :-)

Back in the days it had been all simple. Each LSI is more powerful, it is cheaper, memory is cheaper, all is cheaper, sensors is better and cheaper. And suddenly it is no longer the case. So they first fucked up compacts making smartphones responsible for their own errors. Last and this year they started to destroy amateur DSLRs and mirrorless cameras that are responsible for around 90-95% of sales if you count bodies. They dream on how they expand 5-10% niche around 3x in same time doubling the price and hence keeping total money around same with 3x profits. But it is wet dream. They soon will be woken up by mother nature and will find that all this time they fucked dirty blanket and they are all messy in their own pollution results.

• @VK, yes, I deleted part of my post which is similar. Also knowing a bit of the Japanese mind, I think it is likely many of the prouder older men in these companies have a pipe dream vision of recapturing the moment before all went digital and they were able to sell top consumer camera's for $5000. Digital has finally caught up or surpassed film, so why not right? Except that was 1980's and early 90's when the public was clueless about the massive economic bubble. The public now as a whole is very aware of the new very thin hologram of a bubble being resurrected by the crooks at the top of our so called economy. I think they know very well that these camera's will not sell in Japan, but are hoping the US and others will buy them. The problem is they don't have a clear view of the world economy, just a presentation of how the rich are doing so well, but not seeing it is because they are crushing the consumer class.

• I feel the need to add, I like Panasonic, and if it weren't for the GH2 (and a little help from the PV team) I would not have so much amazing footage of my life here in Japan. I also enjoyed my first encounter with Panasonic at CP+2018 and could feel that everyone in the room truly cared and were proud of the camera's they were producing, it's a similar experience I had with Tamron, Olympus, and a few others, where they are invested emotionally in the product, and it is why these companies always produce products their customers are very excited about. I will not mention names but there are a couple big camera companies I never get that feeling from when I talk to them. It's more like talking to a cold pre programmed brochure in the shape of a human. Panasonic clearly has upper level that thinks the cold company model is best, but this is very wrong, and if Panasonic opened up a bit and let those with heart and at the heart of engineering these camera's lead and talk to the public, they would come away with the gold cup very quickly.

So, some homework Panasonic made.

But LSI really sucks looking at big vent holes and internal fan.

sa8610.jpg
    671 x 463 - 38K