Personal View site logo
8K m43 Camera with Flip-Out Screen from... Sharp?
  • 83 Replies sorted by
  • Please unscrew the (budget) lens unless it is glued on and see if it is an empty box.
    Asking for a friend.
    I like it that he said the price would be $5,000 or $3,000. Flexible.

• @DrDave

Well, you do not understand. Previously by all it had been told as below $5000. And he says that they want to fit $3000, actually this is new info.

Rumors are that during NAB Sharp/Foxconn can make good surprise, and price can be even $1999 with almost all BMPCC 4K features (and even ProRes RAW via HDMI), and added very good HEVC encoder and really working 8K.

• VK you expecting good DR ?

• I'm thinking Panasonic, if they are smart, will just put that sensor in the GH5S body and hotwire a chip to it.
    One thing is for sure, the 5" screen is way, way overdue.

• Also wondering how many months away.....

• @sammy

All depends on how you define DR. For 4K image it'll be best among m43 cameras.

• So price wise it’ll be similar to Pana S1 which is full frame (better low light, better DR and who knows what else).

There must be a catch somewhere along the way as I am not sure how Sharp could justify such price. I hope 8k is not the only strong point this camera has.

• @mirekti

Well, at first it is m43, so as most here are m43 users and Panasonic FF lenses prices will be huge - it is big plus.

Second, it has proper good big and bright swivel screen contrary to Panasonic shite.

And it is 8K and HEVC 8K (so you can just edit it fast using any Nvidia card), that is big for many, not because they will deliver 8K, but because it give you better picture and reframing abilities.

For interviews this camera will be 10x better compared to Panasonic FF.

You can also add to Panasonic FF system that it can be cancelled at any moment (during first 2 years).

• I wonder how much lenses will cost to resolve those 8K on µ43.

• @nomad

Same as they do today. Most progress of lenses happens due to computer simulation and better tooling (more precision and better repeatability). Cost is almost the same.
    If you carefully watch - both Panasonic (in FF line) and Olympus push extra photo resolution mode using sensor stabilizer.
    Can check tests of same mode on Pentax.
    Lens remains same in this modes.

• That interview was very revealing.

Firstly, if that was 3D printed, the rubber doors, ports and flip out screen, would make that the best 3D print I've seen. Did your man get to handle it? If so, you can tell it's likely empty if it feels empty.

Second. Maybe what looks like a Sony mobile phone attached to it, indicates it has a Sony sensor. :)

Now, onto serious stuff, the battery door is very small. This and h265 would indicate to me ambarella derived circuit, or they have a battery with a number if tines for energy density than normal battery's. Ambarella based circuit might seem a bold prediction, but it's not. Most Japanese brands would still be licensing their designs or using their chips. Their H3 chip announced three ces's ago is 8kp30.

They say they are waiting to see if their engineers can do 60fps, really might mean they are waiting to see if ambarella's next gestation chip taps out successfully with 8kp60 (and or low energy hc3) in time to be incorporated into production. I was expecting a HC4 announcement at CES. I suspect they do announcements a while before production and wait for an order before going off the shelf, this would be order. Anyway, going on hc2 performance of in 300mb/s h264 (though the 4k+ hack yielded much lower, but that's an action camera setup) I think at least 600mb/s, even in h265 (and the private back room circuit orders might be much more powerful circuits). Maybe 9nm-7nm chip. The battery would suite that.

The current 8k 48mp Sony is being used on new $150+ phones. 8k sensors are just slabs of materials like 2k sensors, and the 0.8 micron + sized pixel pads are nowhere near the 7nm circuit limits which chops are going to. So, after all these years of them (Nokia), don't offer too much extra expense. This would be a $1000-$2000 camera, sold at nice markup at $3k.

I suspected this going be nice, because Sony usually releases a handycam with the latest, at $1000-$2000. That might mean 8k this year, h266?, and also phones. So they have to pip out the competition. So, I expect 300-600mb/s+ h265 to comfortably fit in SD cards.

The hc3 was a little power hungry for action cam use. I expect to see 8k action cam at cheaper prices this year or early next.

Vitaliy is right about similar level of picture performance. You notice that they have been shrinking pixels instead if dealt increasing picture performance on mobile phone sensors fur years. But this whole stuff about low light, with starvis sensor technology, this would have heaps of low light enough. Once you get past what the human eye can do in color vision, it really gets to a special feature for realtime work, and you light for scripted work. It's over 2 microns, that's enough for what it is. This silly stuff of nor being able to go 8k in m43rds by companies is prima dona.

Now, Red probably uses On Semi. They have their own ovens, so I would imagine they are in a "USA, USA" company. Toshiba has some deal with Sony, and their chips used by Nokia, we didn't hear about. I imagine Sony has enough new 8k sensors coming out, and this might even hit 14-15 stops?

If anybody has contacts in Sharp and could please put me in contact with them, I would like to talk with them about working on a little tiny mind blowing firmware upgrade?

P.S. About lens. I read years ago, it is harder to get a small lens to resolve high resolution, then it is for a larger lens. A lot of stuff about product pricing is hype. Doing something new that's never been done before, can be expensive, but after a while they might figure out his to do it cheaply.

• BTW, I saw some comment by a Luke Driftwood on another forum, which seemed to indicate some sort of Sony leak revealed that the black magic pocket 4k had the same 8k sensor. Is this true? It would be surprising, but if true, it might also required Braw to be able to completed to use it?

I'm thinking it is just a mistake, but if not, maybe it could give a bit better 4k. The dynamic range on it is not overwhelming.

• I'm pretty sure that the BM Pocket 4k is using IMX299 or some variant of it.

• @eatstoomuchjam

It is using Sharp made sensor, this one is for sure.

• I've missed that about the BMPCC4K. Source?

• @eatstoomuchjam

I mean Sharp camera, you are right about BMPCC.

• @Vitaliy is right about the lenses. The top lenses for m43 have decent resolution because you can use sensor tricks to emulate a 40mpix photo and you can see fine detail in the emulated photos.

• I think that a lot of people are unnecessarily worried about lens quality in general. There have been a lot of excellent lenses made over the years which are more than able to resolve the detail needed.

• Olympus Co., Ltd. announced on April 3 that Sharp Co., Ltd. will join Micro Four Thirds manufacturers list.

In the future, Sharp's products will be added to the Micro Four Thirds standard products. Although the specific product is not clear at this time, it has been introduced in the joining explanation of Sharp Corporation that "we are leading the 8K video technology and working on product development".

• Official English PR of the above

Olympus Corporation and Panasonic Corporation jointly announced the Micro Four Thirds System standard in 2008 and have since been working together to promote the standard. We are pleased to announce that Sharp Corporation has recently declared their support for the Micro Four Thirds System standard and will be introducing products compliant with the standard.

As the driving force behind 8K imaging technology and a product developer, Sharp Corporation now supports the Micro Four Thirds standard. In the future, Sharp will add Micro Four Thirds products to their line-up. The possibilities unique to a joint standard will expand the enjoyment of imaging further.

As the company responsible for initiating both the Four Thirds System and the Micro Four Thirds System standards, Olympus will continue to develop and enhance the product line-up to meet the diverse needs of our customers.

About Sharp Corporation

Sharp Corporation is a worldwide developer of innovative products and core technologies that play a key role in shaping the future of electronics. As a leader in LCDs and digital technologies, Sharp offers one of the world’s broadest and most advanced lines of consumer electronics, information products and electronic components, while also creating new network businesses. Sharp group employs 53,939 people around the world (as of December 31, 2018) and recorded consolidated annual sales of 2,427 billion yen for the fiscal year ended March 31, 2018.

• rolling shutter is bad from the Newsshooter hands-on

• @pureaxis

We'll see :-) It is press day only.

We'll have our own interview and later detailed hands on during their event.

But 8K rolling shutter must be really bad, as only Sony has good fast proprietary interface for sensors now.

• The camera is more functional that I expected and I'm surprised they gave a few out to people to just go play around and shoot with. Also allowing people to share footage instead of saying like "This is a preproduction unit so we can't share any of the files yet" is a nice change. I'm impressed by Sharp.