Personal View site logo
8K m43 Camera with Flip-Out Screen from... Sharp?
  • 83 Replies sorted by
  • @mirekti

Well, at first it is m43, so as most here are m43 users and Panasonic FF lenses prices will be huge - it is big plus.

Second, it has proper good big and bright swivel screen contrary to Panasonic shite.

And it is 8K and HEVC 8K (so you can just edit it fast using any Nvidia card), that is big for many, not because they will deliver 8K, but because it give you better picture and reframing abilities.

For interviews this camera will be 10x better compared to Panasonic FF.

You can also add to Panasonic FF system that it can be cancelled at any moment (during first 2 years).

• So price wise it’ll be similar to Pana S1 which is full frame (better low light, better DR and who knows what else).

There must be a catch somewhere along the way as I am not sure how Sharp could justify such price. I hope 8k is not the only strong point this camera has.

• @sammy

All depends on how you define DR. For 4K image it'll be best among m43 cameras.

• Also wondering how many months away.....

• I'm thinking Panasonic, if they are smart, will just put that sensor in the GH5S body and hotwire a chip to it.
    One thing is for sure, the 5" screen is way, way overdue.

• VK you expecting good DR ?

• @DrDave

Well, you do not understand. Previously by all it had been told as below $5000. And he says that they want to fit $3000, actually this is new info.

Rumors are that during NAB Sharp/Foxconn can make good surprise, and price can be even $1999 with almost all BMPCC 4K features (and even ProRes RAW via HDMI), and added very good HEVC encoder and really working 8K.

• Please unscrew the (budget) lens unless it is glued on and see if it is an empty box.
    Asking for a friend.
    I like it that he said the price would be $5,000 or $3,000. Flexible.

• @Energy80s

Well, sensor will be best among all m43 sensors up to date. :-)

I like 5" screen and it can be cool to have pair of them for one of our NAB teams.

• Assuming the images aren't complete shite, this could be very interesting. I suppose as Sharp are the trying to sell 8K TV's they will want to get some content creation kit out into the market as one will help sell the other.

• @DrDave

Well, Panasonic had only 3D printed prototypes at Photokina. And price of this thing can be actually lower than any Panasonic FF body :-)

• Anyone besides me think it is strange that they have that super cheap lens bolted onto it? Why doesn't anyone ask if it is hollow inside?

• So far it seems it was built around vlogger's needs/requests, however, I am glad there's a new player in the market.

• It is also expected to offer a single UHS-II SD card slot, sensor stabilization, and a large 5-inch flip-out display.

Sharp reportedly stated that it is working on a 60fps recording option for a lower resolution, possibly 1080p. Other features present on the prototype include a full-size HDMI port, audio-in, USB-C, a microphone input, and a headphone jack. Assuming nothing changes by the time an official announcement takes place, the '8K Video Camera' will have a sub-$5,000 price.

Unfortunately, the prototype wasn't functional.

• Simply known as '8K video camera', it's still a prototype, but can record up to 30p, with Sharp aiming for 60p, while it features a Micro Four Thirds sensor and lens mount to boot.

• @eatstoomuchjam

On pixel level noise is worse, on picture level it is same.

• Plenty of questions about this - real 8k or interpolated? For that many dots on a micro 4/3 sensor, how's the low light performance? More importantly, how's the normal light noise looking? IBIS on an 8k sensor? It'll be interesting to see how they keep it cooled...

• Someone should confront the Panasonic reps at CES with this 8K prototype from Foxconn/Sharp.

• @azza_act

In the hand of Panasonic we definitely have something residing the corpse state :-)

But it seems that...

• Wait a minute.... I thought M4/3 was dying?? Hmmm...

• @DrDave

I'll tell you small secret - 8K sensor production is almost same price as present ones :-) Very cheap.

As for LSI, if Foxconn paid for development costs it is also same price as normal camera LSI.

And same form factor Yi M1 cost is $249 with kit lens sometimes.

• With a $99 lens on it? Is it real or cardboard? I want one either way.

• OMFFingG.

• Oh don’t get me wrong. 4view/H4V is trash.