Personal View site logo
Some camera without time limit?
  • This isnt for me, a girl is teacher need a camera for record her class, preferably that hour and a half without stopping.

I know that before Panasonic's havent record limit, but I dont know if the current Panix continue that way, since I believe that the lasts GH's are limited to 30 minutes.

She dont need a camera with a great performance, so if inside Panasonic there is something with these features, welcome.

Thanks.

• 13 Replies sorted by
  • @Manu4Vendetta

Why not camcorder?

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1109387-REG/sony_hdr_ax33v_4k_ultra_hd.html

Is almost ideal, as she'll also be able to make amazing footage handheld.

• Vitaliy_Kiselev Thanks. She dont make handheld shots, she will place the camera fix on a tripod in the classroom and recording from thah angle.

The Panix G7/G85/G85 or another have time limit? Its so that she have options differents.

• The Z-Cam E2 has no recording time limit, but the firmware isn't totally done yet and it may be out of the desired price range.

• NTSC GH4 has no time limit. NTSC GH5 has no time limit.

• @Manu4Vendetta

Z-CAM E1 must be good with latest E2 software if she has ipad (false color and such).

And I still strongly suggest Sony camcorders, mostly due to good remotes and accessories.

Sony AX100 can be had for like $700. And for her it'll be much nicer compared to G85.

• I have some very nice Canon 1080p camcorders you can buy for $250 each. ProCMOS sensors and 24p. Excellent color and tracking, no time limit.

• She dont need a camera with a great performance

Then get her a secondhand GH2, or even GH1!

But sure, if you really want 4K then the Panasonic G7 (easy enough to unlock unlimited recording lengths).

Sony AX100 can be had for like $700. And for her it'll be much nicer compared to G85.

Or even the identical but cheaper (as it lacks 4K, but otherwise the same) Sony CX900 as I doubt 4K matters too much here.

• Or even the identical but cheaper (as it lacks 4K, but otherwise the same) Sony CX900 as I doubt 4K matters too much here.

Sad reality is that if you wait a little you get almost no savings on CX900. So AX100 it is.

Then get her a secondhand GH2, or even GH1!

And NEVER ever get people GH1 or GH2, especially hacked. They are not good cameras for usual people.

• Thanks to everyone.

Nothing of 4K people, she's dont need it, is for a very elementary use. The material is for self-evaluation and educational purposes, not for cinematic applications. Possibly she will not edit. Today she told me that school have a camcorder, but she has to wait several days to see his class, so prefers to have his own camera and see his class on the same day.

@DrDave, what model of Canon? Look interesting a cheap option.

@IronFilm, Look at the coincidences, a few weeks ago I sold my GH2 cause I didnt use it.

• G6, GX85 and G85 don't either on US model. Also the GX85 and G85 don't split the video file, which is very handy. G9 does have a limit, sadly.

• Sad reality is that if you wait a little you get almost no savings on CX900. So AX100 it is.

Fair enough, if you're just buying on a whim quickly then the discount is not much. But if a person really hunts for it then a CX900 could be found at a deeper discount.

And NEVER ever get people GH1 or GH2, especially hacked. They are not good cameras for usual people.

If they have a stable hack (nothing too aggressive with the bitrate) then the experience can be pretty flawless. My 2x GH1 have been quite trouble free and a pleasant experience. Or heck, just use an hacked GH2.

@IronFilm, Look at the coincidences, a few weeks ago I sold my GH2 cause I didnt use it.

Ha! Pity, you could have donated it to her.

G6, GX85 and G85 don't either on US model. Also the GX85 and G85 don't split the video file, which is very handy. G9 does have a limit, sadly.

Yes, if the person has the budget then the G85 is a killer starter camera!

But seems like it would be total overkill for her?

Nothing of 4K people, she's dont need it, is for a very elementary use. The material is for self-evaluation and educational purposes, not for cinematic applications. Possibly she will not edit. Today she told me that school have a camcorder, but she has to wait several days to see his class, so prefers to have his own camera and see his class on the same day.

So it will be supplementary to her own notes she is taking of the class?

Probably a solid zoom lens then to see the whiteboard/blackboard/slides? And audio is likely even more important to her. (overkill to leave a wireless transmitter at the front of the class to send audio back to the camera? Ha! Probably waaaay overkill)

• But if a person really hunts for it then a CX900 could be found at a deeper discount.

I just do not see it.

If they have a stable hack (nothing too aggressive with the bitrate) then the experience can be pretty flawless. My 2x GH1 have been quite trouble free and a pleasant experience. Or heck, just use an hacked GH2.

You are not "usual people". It must be good reason why I say this, as I have big experience and talks.

• The GX85 is probably the best best. There are lots of good sales on it right now.