Personal View site logo
12mm f/1.6 Noktor
  • 739 Replies sorted by
  • How critical is the focus on this lens? Other than macro shots, it's essentially hyperfocal, right? Does anyone see problems with lens filters being in focus? I would love to add one of the fast wide primes to my MF (Canon FD) lens kit. Has anyone used a zip-tie focus gear and follow focus on this lens?
  • @Vitaly

I sincerely hope so...
  • Just got mine yesterday. Overall I'm pleased with the IQ but the lens mount moves slightly when focusing the lens, which causes the image to shift from side to side when focusing. I'm waiting a few days to see if perhaps this "settles in" but if it doesn't I'm asking for a replacement, as it would be anathema during a shoot if the entire image shifted every time I pulled focus.

I also found the focus ring to have a bit of play right out of the box, but working it in for a few minutes took care of that. Now it focuses as smoothly as any of my old Canons.

Not much to add that hasn't already been said by EOSHD, Seb, et al. It's very cinematic, usably sharp enough even wide open, and its speed and FOV give a whole new lease on life to M43. I really didn't think glass for this system would ever get this wide, fast, and good. Until now it's been pick two.
  • @rockroadpix

About issues.
    This is not a production lenses.
    Generally, goal of such stuff is to discover the issues and fix them before product6ion.
  • I'm interested to hear how the new models that you guys are waiting for perform. I love the look of this lens. I want one, but the issues that it seems, everyone has had, make me nervous about pulling the trigger.
  • The title has become wrong. No longer Noktor. It's Hyperprime.

Is it worth to pay for cine mod for this lens? 12mm 1.6 seems useful in low lighting. Not sure about focus pullling at 12mm.
  • @Greek_m43

Don't think so.

But 12mm cine modification will be available.
  • @vitaliy_kiselev are they going to make a Cine lens set?
  • @Greek_m43

Yep.
    I just want to wait a little for 77mm cine version with gears.
    Want to get it to replace my wobbling one.
  • Have to say, SLR Magic has great customer service. I reported the problem with my lens and the new lens was shipped that day, should be here by Tuesday. After I get it, I ship the other back.
  • @Vitaliy_Kiselev - "Tried to fix mount, but SLRMagic become so afraid, so they refused to help me or provide any information. Said that they'll send new lens as it'll be ready."

I had a similar experience with an SLRMagic 35mm f1.7 lens. It was obviously a C-Mount lens that had been converted to a M4/3 mount, and the machining didn't quite fit properly on my GF1. SLRMagic sent me a different type of M4/3 mount plate, along with three screws to attach it to the exposed back of the lens. It works now, but at heart, it's a CCTV machine vision lens, perfect for simulating the look of surveillance camera videos.
  • @beeldlab That looks awesome! I think I need to go to Corfu for once and get away from Kriti.
  • @stonebat there is just a little play in the mount, nothing terrible. I tightened the screw but it didn't fix it. The big problem I had was that the screws holding down the focus ring were loose. The ring came loose in 5 minutes of playing with it and was free spinning, so I had to get a really small screwdriver from engineering and correct it, took a little bit but I got it corrected. It was weird, I screwed it back down the first time and realized I couldn't focus as far but I could focus closer. I would tighten, turn, loosen, and repeat to correct it.
  • @Greek_m43 very good use of the fast 12mm lens. Does it have any play on the mount?
  • So here's a promo I shot with the SLR Magic 12mm that I just received today. I ran into a problem with it, but I fixed it. I'll tell you all about it later. Shot with @Driftwood Aquarius hack (hell ya your settings are on TV 20 times a day!)

• @olegkalyan No vignetting. It's done in post.
  • @ipcmlr

I removed focus ring screws (btw it is hold by this screws simply by friction :-) )
    Tried to fix mount, but SLRMagic become so afraid, so they refused to help me or provide any information.
    Said that they'll send new lens as it'll be ready.

If I'll have some time on weekend I'll try to remove mount and try to fix it.
  • @Vitaliy_Kiselev any news on your noktor testing? :D
  • beeldlab , nice clip, does the lens show a lot of vignetting or you put it in post? At parts it shows uneven vignetting.
  • Well, that's more than one full stop, nearly two. That makes a difference, in particular with wide angle, where DOF is large normally.
  • I was considering getting the much loved Tokina 11-16mm F2.8. I wonder if 12mm 1.6 would be that much different in depth of field?
  • @beeldlab

Thanks for posting.

I tried to fix mine. Will try again soon.
    Don't really know how to remove mount.