Personal View site logo
Panasonic GH5S GH5 S, 4K Video Edition
  • 533 Replies sorted by
  • @endotoxic

Gh5 s lacks detail in all tests I've seen. It was expected since it has less native resolution and downscaling to 4k from sensor in gh5 gives better detail It would be interesting to see more resolution charts and how much the s line lacks behind."

@Bernie

Lack of detail is due to noise reduction. By looks of it, noise reduction has temporal aspect to it that allows for less noise vs previous in camera NR , but as the expense of details. Its the same technique that A7s series use.

Yes, I hope there is some original footage of the GH5s footage soon to download. I can't stand the look of ANY noise reduction processing on footage. I've seen 4k clips of the GH5 and AS7II that have lower detail at 4k that even my Blackmagic 2.5k footage shot at 1080p... because of the garbage "noise reduction". It makes everything look like a 720p video... even the camera-original 4k footage. Hopefully it was just user error or something and these clips just didn't have it turned down far enough. I really want to get a GH5s... love the features... and I need to slow-motion options... but man... this in-camera noise-reduction really makes footage unusable for anything, IMO.

• I just can't imagine getting the 5s when the detail is so bad, I mean an A7s II or any of a number of other cameras will give you detail and LL.

• Panasonic GH5s become first camera in GH series history that is in stock on launch date

It is now strong rumors in dealers circles that Panasonic will make significant price reduction in March or very early April.

Some talk about 40% cut, but it will be determinated by actual sales, as Panasonic needs minimal production volume to keep lines profitable and preliminary sales figure is much lower than this volume.

• 40%!! Wow, thanks for this info. I hope this's true because we were planning to buy 2 this Friday with an additional one later in year. Will definitely have to convince the others to wait even if it turns to be just 15% discount.

• @HillTop1

Well, if you need them for job it is strange to wait for possible price cuts, it makes sense to wait only in case of not really requiring them now. No one really know ways of Panasonic management thoughts.

• Panasonic management is crazy

• They are cutting the price because the IQ is crap. Meanwhile, the price on the NX1 goes up.

• @DrDave

If Samsung produced enough NX1 bodies and just stored them selling in small batches they could have bough all Panasonic DSC department for this money :-)

• @DrDave

Well, to be fair I've been on a great detail-investigation this last week (since I really want to get a new DSLR-style camera) and nothing is turning out that well at the moment.

I downloaded the original footage in question here, from the original GH5 and the detail is just awful. Yes, the colors and DR are very nice... and the the footage indeed grades well... but it honestly, and no I'm not trying to be facetious here... it looks like 720p footage. There is just no detail. Both Alexa and Blackmagic 2k footage have WAY more detail than these supposed "4K" original files. The Sony As7II is not looking good either. Everything I can find from that camera is mush as well. Some look a bit better than the GH-line... but it still has that processed-plasitc look that ruins detail as well as motion. I don't know what is going on. I guess I never watched these cams full screen before.

Now, to make things even more perplexing... for some reason THIS GH5 video has a TON more detail than any other GH5/s footage I've seen.

This footage is excellent in the detail department. But why? Everything else I can find looks like mush (yes, even when downloading originals), like the Neumann footage. Is it because this was a pre-production GH5? Did these pre-production models not have the NR and sharpening enabled (aka. detail destroyers)? Maybe I'm missing something?

• @bwhitz

Because art people like to shoot toned down footage with very low sharpness settings. :-)

• @Vitaliy_Kiselev

Huh, so it is the sharpness setting then? I've seen some that say they have all sharpness and NR turned off... and they still look "crunchy" with low detail.

I guess I'll just have to rent them and I try them out for myself. Or just save up and get an overpriced EVA1... lol. The detail from the EVA does look great though. Very natural, yet high-detail... "true-4K" look.

• @bwhitz

Just forget all this thing. GH5 is normal camera with normal detail.

• Sharpness relies on many factor: Lens, Bitrate, Micro-contrast, Grain, framing, lights, Your Monitor (even its calibration)... They aren't "just" achieved through camera specs. Finally, if you're looking at Logarithmic Profile, it's going to look very neutral in sharpness. They are supposed to be treated heavily in post (despite what youtube average joe tutorial tells you that Log footage grade easily). From experience GH lines (1-2-3-4-5, still have to try 5s) have plenty of details, especially compared to other cameras.

• @DrDave re "I just can't imagine getting the 5s when the detail is so bad, I mean an A7s II or any of a number of other cameras will give you detail and LL."

Haven't seen anything to support this. Can you link to some direct comparisons?

One for your delectation: https://www.dpreview.com/files/p/articles/4662084254/Log/Real-World-Log/Log_Comparison.jpeg

The vomit inducing mush is the A7s II, just quietly.

• Sharpness relies on many factor: Lens, Bitrate, Micro-contrast, Grain, framing, lights, Your Monitor (even its calibration)... They aren't "just" achieved through camera specs.

Sure, but like I was saying... I've been comparing as many situations as I can find. All on the same monitor. And yes, if it is just the settings, that would be great to know. But I want to be sure before I pull the trigger on a purchase.

Finally, if you're looking at Logarithmic Profile, it's going to look very neutral in sharpness. They are supposed to be treated heavily in post (despite what youtube average joe tutorial tells you that Log footage grade easily). From experience GH lines (1-2-3-4-5, still have to try 5s) have plenty of details, especially compared to other cameras.

Well, I know what I'm looking for. There is a specific look/detail level that exists in other 4k footage that I'm not seeing here. Not to blow my own horn... but I do work in the industry as a VFX artist, basically #2 guy at a post-production house. On many projects that are VFX-heavy... I have final say on camera what is used for the shoot... and I've done projects on basically every camera that exists. I've been downloading as much original GH5/GH5s footage as I can find... and it STILL doesn't have as much detail as even Blackmagic 2.5k footage shot in 1080p prores. I'm also comparing to Alexa and Red and, obviously, not really the same ball-park (although Alexa isn't true 4k)... BUT... there is no reason it shouldn't be close. EVA1 and Varicams all look amazing. But really... all the 4K GH5 footage I can find looks like 720-800p. I'm sure it would probably measure higher than that... but the "crunch", or detail-artifacting, makes it look way lower and artificial. Anyways, I would love to be mistaken about all of this... maybe I'm just finding videos where the users have cranked up all the detail-ruining settings, so... if you DO have any links to really well shot GH5 that you would say is a good example of clean-4k detail levels. Please post them!!! (I'll keep looking myself, also) I want to get to the bottom of this... and I really want to get another GH line camera! I just can't use anything I'm seeing along with Blackmagic 4.6k, Red, or Alexa. It doesn't need to obviously match those camera in overall IQ... but it needs to have around the same detail. It can't have that crunched, smooshy, look like the Neumann footage has... where all the detail is destroyed. I have a project coming up on the Red Weapon and I would really like a GH5/s as a b-cam or even a-cam for certain scenes.

• Some talk about 40% cut

I'd be surprised if we see this year the new GH5S priced below a new GH5 original

• Cut or not...the issue here is the detail

• @bwhits

I'm seeing the same results on gh5s. Lack of detail. The temporal noise reduction and its implementation makes the information bend and twich like in a supposed prediction. S line is capable yes, low light yes, but rump up iso and some strange things happen.

Even gh5 with its Magenta shift is detailed at high iso

On gh5 the resolving is there.

• @endotoxic

Interesting, good to know. I will keep looking at GH5s footage as it comes in. I really want to get this cam... but all these noise-reduction settings, or whatever is going on, seems terrible. Although, to be fair... there just isn't much GH5s footage out there yet... so maybe (I'm hoping) it's just NooBz cranking up the NR and sharpening... lol. We'll see...

• It is similar for a6300/6500. They just arent meant to be used with such high ISO. The tech is not there yet, and this is a band-aid solution. Would be better to have the option to turn the noise reduction down/off and use Neat Video in post.

• @bwhitz @fahrenheit I don't rely on the reviews so much, I just rent the cameras for a day and try them out. The log comparison that leans Panasonic seems a bit off to me, log can go many different ways, and I haven't had a chance to rent the GH5s yet, but based on the samples, I don't think I will bother. Why didn't the review with the log example mention that the 6300 is so much better in the test scene? That seems really odd. The A7rii has great IQ and very good LL image in Super35. Try it for a day. The A7sii is for when it is really dark, so it's a specialty camera. Cameras like the a6300 and a6500 pull a ton of detail out of the image (see the photo below). Also, the GH5, a lot of things done right on that camera, but it isn't for filming in the dark. I don't film in the dark, but if I did I would go for one of the Sony cameras.
    I mean, if you buy a camera that is kind of blurry, you spend the next few years looking at blurry stuff.
    Anyway, if you don't want to try the actual camera out, there's any number of side by side comparisons: https://www.dpreview.com/reviews/panasonic-lumix-dc-gh5s-review/8
    And to me, the video of even the G85 is better than the 5s in the dpreview comparison, plus the a6300 is substantially better. If you are a filmmaker who want no IS, good LL and a bigger sensor, isn't the 6300 just better and cheaper? If I only saw the image below, I would just go out and buy the a6300, that's for sure, but it is always better to try them out for awhile. It isn't a small difference.

a6300 gh5s.jpg
    1042 x 536 - 165K
  • @DrDave Thanks for the link. A great little tool to save time and money before demoing. Much appreciated

• I insist that panafriend should make two firmwares.

1 a complete implementations of actual.gha5s

2 a firmware without all temporal noise reduction so we can manage in post . And extra features for disable options in camera.

If. This is a pro oriented product born from a consumer one. It is still consumer, but if it is amied to pros we should have proper manual control just like a pro camera. On post we will
    Make the adjustments like noise reduction color texture etc. I'm not ranting it is just that they have come so close to a proper camera and some extra controls from the pro user who understand the drawbacks and the advantages, may well use this tool more efitiently

• About detail. I don't dislike it. Finally it has a more organic image with a proper lens. I don't expect the Eva 1 image subsampling from 5.7k to 4k since sensor is almost 4k straight. But I must admit that there is something wrong with the iso settings and the noise reduction. An almost all Isos beyond 1600. Here is what I've been telling some pages before, there is not info of the real base iso. And if we cannot controll properly the noise reduction and sharpness, detail will be an issue that can impact on final user.

• The GH5 has a pretty good balance. The G85 has identical sharpness, but the GH5 has all those options frame rates, bitrates and so on. The GH5 has slightly better color and slightly better artifact control, but these are tiny differences. But I would be mainly using the 6300/6500 if the heating problem was a total non issue. I even thought of buying one and just drilling holes in it.