Personal View site logo
Panasonic GH5S GH5 S, 4K Video Edition
  • 533 Replies sorted by
  • @tylerknight What are the frame rate options in 24hz mode? How high does the VFR go in that mode?

• From a true professional rigging standpoint IBIS is a pain in the ass.

For guerrilla and low budget productions (which is now almost 80% of production content on web) is perfect.

Gives the bad operator a good camera movement and for the client the ´´feel´´, ending with a better product overall.

In real speaking, from truth, IBIS is grate tech, gives smoothness on shots where if not there, would be very difficult if not impossible to shot it understandingly. But that is where proper use of image with varied technics, real resources from a cinematographic stand point, is that IBIS is just one more tech, is not a language. So its not IMPORTANT for the video oriented GH5S.

In fact any DP would be happy to trade, robustness and low noise, for IBIS.

(...so the floating sensor on the grip car cam....hmmm...ok...all days of shooting and no damage on shortime.... there are 14 episodes dude... dont you have those GH5S? on the truck)

• From a true professional rigging standpoint IBIS is a pain in the ass.

You can always just turn off IBIS when you don't need it. I can understand it if they can't implement IBIS because of technical or physical limitations (i.e. heat, size), but to say that they didn't include it because it's not required for "professionals" is a a bit silly.

• @kin869

You can always just turn off IBIS when you don't need it. I can understand it if they can't implement IBIS because of technical or physical limitations (i.e. heat, size), but to say that they didn't include it because it's not required for "professionals" is a a bit silly.

Never listen that managers tell you as reason. Because usually they have no idea.

I am 99% sure that they had been forced to do this due to better cooling, to keep some minimal advantage of GH5s.

• I really have no idea who this camera is for. There are so many options for professional cinema cameras and I just can't see what this is bringing to the table. With IBIS however this would have been the undisputed king of the indie/prosumer/hobbyist market and it would have only further established the mft brand as a viable option for many different segments of the market. You need a 6k hybrid camera then buy a GH5. You don't like using lights or even monopods? Then buy a GH5s! This would have only been true if they had implemented IBIS.

My advice, wait one more year for the GH6.

• @Sph1nxster

My advice, wait one more year for the GH6.

It is strong inside rumor that Panasonic really want to copy Sony and fragment GH line as much as possible.

So, it can be as I wrote, that it won't be new GH6 for 2 year at least and it'll be instead new member of GH line. May be something like G9 in GH5 case and cheaper EVF.

• Yup, that's exactly what I'm also seeing. The raw noise performance is identical until ISO 6400. I have a strong feeling the video looks improved cause Panasonic has introduced a very good spatial temporal noise reduction in the GH5s which cleans the image much better compared to the GH5 NR algorithm.

At low ISOs, shot noise dominates. Shot noise is usually similar across cameras, being a function of the noise inherent to the light combined with transmission losses through the filters, fill factor, and quantum efficiency. As the ISO is raised, read noise becomes a large factor. Read noise depends on the particular design of the sensor.

• Our CES Interview

• @kin869 Right. You turn it off if you don't want it. And, believe me, when you have a camera at a distance, like a balcony at an event, you definitely need it. Then you turn it on.
    It is a very useful feature.

• great vid!

• Native iso's when using vlog-l and hlg,are listed as 800 and 5000 at Panasonic's website..

Also,ex-tele x2.1 for FHD.

They keep saying 14stops of DR when vlog-l is capable of 12stops..

• 14 stops....

Why there are no GH5s example videos showing good DR? Only overly bright low light videos with blown highlights.

• Question about the GH5s. Has it been confirmed or not if we can save our GH5 profile and upload that to the GH5s to have matching settings?

• @Vesku it isn't 14 stops.

• Salami slicing product portfolio while minimizing R&D costs to boost overall business margin in a flat or declining market segment.

• Oh that is completely hilarious that there was a blackout while discussing the GH5S! Ha

• Turning off IBIS doesn't completely lock the sensor in place. It's still only being held by the IBIS system, which is only so strong. Knocks or impacts or vibration can still make the sensor move. I can see this quite clearly with my G85 with the Meike 6.5mm fisheye- bump the camera hard enough, or mount/hold it on a vibrating surface and you can see the image move (easy to see as you can see the edge of the image circle with the Meike).

• I'll be buying a camera soon, and between the GH5 and GH5s, it seems that my decision's got one big question. Is the low-light performance of the GH5s worth the extra $400? (Side note: $400 because a GH5 with Vlog is $2100.)

Lots of people have posted good-looking low-light footage from the GH5s, but it's nearly all outdoor nighttime shots. And they look great. And in the higher ISOs, it's really impressive. But my concern is when I shoot indoors, with existing light. As we know, the lights we have in our houses aren't really there for shooting video. And when I shoot indoors with existing lights, it's usually kind of muddy and dim. (Sunlight helps, but can't count on that.)

Are there any GH5s tests out there that shoot in a normal room, with no special light, and no excessive sunlight? That'd really help me make up my mind.

• @Brian_Siano You have to decide what kind of situations you will be in. On top of that, there just isn't a lot if good info to go on, yet. However, when I ran Neat NR on the 5H sample it looked just a good as the 5s, so it also depends on whether you want to grade your footage.
    Right now, it looks like the IQ of the 5H is the best, and you can grade it. No big reason to go for the 5s unless you shoot in the dark all the time. But then, if you did shoot in the dark, why not go Sony?
    What makes a good video? Good lighting. That's a pretty simple rule.
    You could also buy two G85 cams.
    What will I do? I'll be renting first, then taking a hard look at the IQ and usability. If the 5H is better than the G85, I'll go with that. If the difference is tiny--and it may very well be--I will look further. I won't even rent the 5s until I see some samples that don't have the heavily smeared details. When I compared the G7 with the 4H I preferred the G7 IQ. I did not like the color of either of them. The newer cameras look better in terms of both IQ and color, and IBIS is really handy, People made a big deal about it when it came out, and now some of the same people are saying maybe it isn't a big deal. Well, if you are using some old glass, let me just say it IS a big deal, and it's great with the new glass, as well. If you only shoot 12mm, that's a different story.

• @DrDave Thanks for the reply. You're not the only one to point out that using Neat Video on GH5 footage brings it closer to the GH5s's performance. (It might get even better if I use the 6K anamorphic setting.) And Kai M on YouTube stresses that he's invested in fast Leica glass, so he's been getting good stuff with the GH5 as it is.

So I'm 95% decided on the old GH5. Here's hoping it gets a price drop in the next month.

• But my concern is when I shoot indoors, with existing light. As we know, the lights we have in our houses aren't really there for shooting video. And when I shoot indoors with existing lights, it's usually kind of muddy and dim. (Sunlight helps, but can't count on that.)

If you're shooting with fast lenses indoors then you have absolutely nothing to worry about whatsoever. (heck, even a GH2 would be fine!)

Especially as being indoors you can easily add in your own lights.

So I'm 95% decided on the old GH5. Here's hoping it gets a price drop in the next month.

They've already had quite a significant price drop secondhand from launch price. Or if you're really tight on your budget, go for a Panasonic G85/G80 which is quite good too!

• As @Ironfilm says, the G85 (sort of like the GX85 but in the standard body, and with more dials & features) is almost the same IQ--if I was spending 2 large I would have a tough time choosing between the GH5 body and a G85 with with a Panny 12mm or something along those lines. The bare 5 has some nice pro features though.
    Since I buy a set of cameras, I often look for the cameras like the G85 which is 98 percent of the IQ for half the price. Makes you feel better when you drop it, too. And, hey, the GX85 can be found used for ~$450 and you can hack it for CineD and maybe Vlog--not sure about the Vlog but I did do the CineD. Buttons are fiddly but the IQ is very good. I saw a tiny bit of difference bewteen the GX85 and the G85, but the difference between the G85 and the GH5 is super small. GH5 has all-i and other nifty features.....might be worth the extra cash for that tiny difference, I do recommend just renting one before you buy it. Charge the client or just eat it--knowledge has value.

• is almost the same IQ

If not doing heavy post work, as that is where the 10bit of the GH5 will really shine! Plus GH5 has other features like waveforms.

But for most people shooting videos with quick turn around, then the G85 will be an almost equally good choice at a much lower price!

Since I buy a set of cameras

Always been a strength of Panasonic, that they've not just had the latest topflight cameras which are amazing, but they've always had older/cheaper/lower end cameras which are also pretty darn decent too. Thus you can get a nice A cam / B cam set up on the cheap, or even go nuts with even more cameras (like I used to do with 5x Panasonic cameras for weddings).