Personal View site logo
Panasonic GH5S GH5 S, 4K Video Edition
  • 533 Replies sorted by
  • @apefos

The only way Sony can "kill" Panasonic is by being to close one another. Sony will eventually overheat and also fry the Panasonic along with it. :)

• @eatstoomuchjam Or those fancy dinners with shiny gold christmas crackers. What they do lose is credibility and that loses clicks too. I found this more informative to the point

• Yup. Kai still possesses at least some of his soul. :)

• NONE of my Panasonics have IBIS. I can live without it for the BENEFIT of better low light. The lack of light is my biggest enemy since I do a lot of Live Events like Concerts, Weddings and other situations where I can't use video lights. If there were no options to address Image Stabilization at all then I might see the complaints being necessary. I think for MANY shooters this addresses a bigger issue for them than the need for IBIS.

Also I could just add a cheap GX85 if I want to have one handheld for those times where it's absolutely necessary to have great stabilization.

• There will be one more GH6 version: No No No NO No, good AF - yes - $2999

BTW: MAR back - real bravo!!!!!

• This article reports that the GH5S is capable of 14 stops of dynamic range, properly calibrated. https://www.mysterybox.us/blog/2018/1/8/panasonic-gh5s-hdr10

Opinions?

• @Brian_Siano

In same place

With the camera in Creative Movie Mode, set the shutter angle to 180 degrees to eliminate rolling shutter and to give a cinematic look.

• Is that how to eliminate rolling shutter? I always thought you had to roll the camera.....

• The only way Sony can "kill" Panasonic is by being to close one another. Sony will eventually overheat and also fry the Panasonic along with it. :)

haha, classic quote worthy!

With the camera in Creative Movie Mode, set the shutter angle to 180 degrees to eliminate rolling shutter and to give a cinematic look.

Wow.

The average photo gear reviewer (if you are being generous) barely knows what they're talking about when it comes to photo gear. And when it comes to video features.... just absolutely hopeless.

Is that how to eliminate rolling shutter? I always thought you had to roll the camera.....

Of course Dave, you're meant to tilt the camera in the opposite angle that the rolling shutter is leaning in! ;-)

This article reports that the GH5S is capable of 14 stops of dynamic range, properly calibrated. https://www.mysterybox.us/blog/2018/1/8/panasonic-gh5s-hdr10 Opinions?

Wait for truly independent reviews to come out once shipping. But I have seen that figure reported a number of times. Certainly if the massively improved lowlight gives it much cleaner shadows then in terms of usable DR it will have gone up.

NONE of my Panasonics have IBIS. I can live without it for the BENEFIT of better low light.

Same here. Own lots of Panasonic, but zero with IBIS.

The lack of light is my biggest enemy since I do a lot of Live Events like Concerts, Weddings and other situations where I can't use video lights.

Do you already own T0.95 lenses and/or a focal reducer? Such as the RJ Lens Turbo:

https://www.personal-view.com/talks/discussion/9086/rj-lens-turbo-m43-adapters/p1

• GH5-S seems to have less resolution in low iso than GH5.

From Slashcam:"Although the sensor only offers a 1: 1 readout due to the size of the sensor, the first impressions of the debayering look very cinematic: the finest details are clearly filtered, which accommodates the typical cine look and covers most debayering problems in a 1: 1 readout. So no chroma streaks and no zipper artifacts like many competitors. The clean 4K sharpness of the GH5, of course, can not be achieved..."

GH5-GH5S-detail.jpg
    514 x 656 - 184K
  • For people in a hurry, who needs to shoot and edit fast for immediate delivery, broadcast or upload, a noise-free camera is very welcome because avoids the slow denoise process and can do a realtime editing, fast workflow.

For people who have the time for denoise, a less expensive camera with IBIS can be more useful, Lumix G9 would be good enough.

• For people in a hurry, who needs to shoot and edit fast for immediate delivery, broadcast or upload, a noise-free camera is very welcome because avoids the slow denoise process and can do a realtime editing, fast workflow.

Looking that broadcast guys do - they do not care, shoot on old cameras and after this deliver at horrible bitrates.

Also, realtime denoising is cheap now, just add GPUs.

• Panasonic Lumix DC-GH5S added to studio scene comparison at Dpreview: https://www.dpreview.com/news/2333575124/panasonic-lumix-dc-gh5s-studio-scene-posted

• @Eno

yep

sa1369.jpg
    882 x 455 - 81K
  • @Vitaliy_Kiselev

Yup, that's exactly what I'm also seeing. The raw noise performance is identical until ISO 6400. I have a strong feeling the video looks improved cause Panasonic has introduced a very good spatial temporal noise reduction in the GH5s which cleans the image much better compared to the GH5 NR algorithm.

• I have a strong feeling the video looks improved cause Panasonic has introduced a very good spatial temporal noise reduction in the GH5s which cleans the image much better compared to the GH5 NR algorithm.

Or just stronger raw level NR :-)

• Maybe the photo or the raw photo does not use the dual native iso.

• That video still from @Vesku (Slashcam) would seem to show that the video is junk in terms of resolution. It gives me a headache to look at it. Could it really be that bad? Or did they mess up the test.....

• Slashcam posts a photo that "shows" the 5s is better in low light. But is it better, or just blurry? I applied light Neat NR to the top frame, and you can see that it is possible to remove the noise and preserve the detail from the GH5, but the 5s will always look blurry in comparison. You can call blurry "filmic," but to me it looks more like the wrong reading glasses. On the left is the NR; on the right is the original.
    The bottom line might be that the GH5 gives you better results, and the "s" model is more for ppl who don't grade their video.

1648-Low_Light_gh5vsgh5s-Low_light_GH5_vs_GH5s nr.jpg
    1012 x 1000 - 183K
    1648-Low_Light_gh5vsgh5s-Low_light_GH5_vs_GH5s.jpg
    1012 x 1000 - 204K
  • @DrDave

is junk in terms of resolution. It gives me a headache to look at it. Could it really be that bad? Or did they mess up the test.....

I wonder too if the test is right. The GH5S JPGs (about 4k res) are very detailed and clean.

• I have one right now so let me know a few tests I can do, I have limited time but will do what I can!

• @tylerknight

Does it show automatic video exposure values in P, A, S and auto iso? Thanks.

• @tylerknight 1) in vlog-l and hlg ,dual native iso’s Are 800 and 5000 instead of 400 -2500 in other profiles? 2) ETC mode? 3) if you could upload a frame from video in vlog-l with a high contrast scene (to check it with waveform) Thanks!