Personal View site logo
GH5 Panasonic camera, from anticipation to love or hate
  • 2083 Replies sorted by
  • all Intra 400Mbps

• GH5 has h.265 HDR (HLG) 72Mbs mode for HDR televisions. I wonder why it is the only possible 4k h.265 mode. It would be useful to shoot with h.265 using 4k 8bit and all profiles.

It would be also useful to have a HDR profile for 8bit modes. We will see what happens in next update.

• Made some footage with the new firmware in HLG. Also exported to H265 in REC.2020 and HDR 10-bit.

Second video scenes from France only this is not HDR.

• @Vitaliy_Kiselev Thanks. I will use cable bound headphones.

• @AKED

Question for GH5 owners: when recording with the GH5, can I use closed bluetooth headphones to check the sound or do I need cable bound headphones? Thanks

You want to ask if GH5 support Bluetooth headphones directly? No.

But if you have some battery enabled transmitter, why not? Just sound usually is worse and issues you hear can be caused by Bluetooth issues.

• @Vesku Interesting difference, good find.

• Question for GH5 owners: when recording with the GH5, can I use closed bluetooth headphones to check the sound or do I need cable bound headphones? Thanks

• GH5 8bit 4k 30P vs 60P. 60P is cleaner and has less macro blocking. Should we shoot 60P even for 30P?

30-60p.jpg
    1886 x 874 - 923K
  • My new test shows that 150Mbs ipb has better IQ in static video than 400Mbs all-i. All-i is better in motion.

https://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/60333548

• @vesku just a screengrab of a raw file lol...with 100-300 G vario II

P1044383-copy.jpg
    5184 x 3888 - 2M
  • Filmed this summer in France.

• I use mostly Natural (contrast -5) for videos and RAW with camera WB for photos. I use idynamic low outdoors.

• @vesku Many Thanks!!! I was trying to figure out wich one was the right format and to start work twiching around : from workflow to render . Now I'm in the 150mbs 10bit long gop mood with a cine d Leeming lut setting a first try. Then a quick workflow just straight out of the cam was thinking a cine-v or natural ...what you using? Then also was looking for a photo style good for taking pics. Don't get me wrong since the upgrade from the gh4 and previous gh2 etc.. I decided to approach the gh5 from scratch like it was a completely new camera (in fact it is) not based on the previous experiences of the past cameras.

• Codecs are different. The visible video quality result is what counts.

For example GH5 150Mbs 4k60P has less macro blocking than GH5 100Mbs 4k30P. 4k 60P uses h.264 high profile 5.2 and 4k 30P uses h.264 high profile 5.1.

@chef I have lots of GH5 4k60P ipb videos of moving water and waves. There is very little macro blocking and encoding errors.

• @chef

Both codecs are very good. All-i is not worse in static scene and ipb works very well in motion. All-i is smoother and cleaner in motion but I need 400% enlargement of stopped 4k frame to see it. 150 Mbs is good enough for me.

• @vesku What about high contrast scenes ? How about snow, sun, water like rivers or big waves...or really fast moving subjects ? Doing a indoor test is kinda restrictive to me...

• GH5 all-i 400Mbs vs ipb 150Mbs frames comparison:

https://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/60301188

Not much difference.

• Care to eloborate?

Edit: Nevermind. I see the promo now on B&H.

• Huge Panasonic offer - free V-LOG for GH5 for PhotoPlus Time

LOL

• Majority of this content was shot on the GH4 & GH5.

• 4K 30p&60p . Natural profile.

• MovCam cage for GH5

s1413.jpg
    605 x 611 - 32K