Personal View site logo
Panasonic GH5 V 2.0 and up firmware topic
  • 96 Replies sorted by
  • @valpopando Thanks for sharing. So we're supposed to sacrifice a fn button to lock another button! That's insane. I will continue struggling with the disp button because I do need the other fn buttons!

• Driftdog in fabulous 8K!

• @davjd

So we're supposed to sacrifice a fn button to lock another button! That's insane. I will continue struggling with the disp button because I do need the other fn buttons!

I'm curious about your thinking here. If you don't use a button to toggle the button lockout function, how would you toggle? I guess you could use the menu button - navigating to the Operation Lock Setting menu to toggle the lock. I think that would be cumbersome to toggle and you'd loose the ability to lock the menu button itself ("Cursor" in the Operation Lock menu).

I have my button lock toggle assigned to Fn6 (the front Fn button by the lens), but I'm debating that choice vs Fn5 (currently Ex Tele Conv) or Fn1 (currently one-touch AE).

• @v10tdi - You may be right, and a lot of users may think the same, if they haven't assigned a function to each single button. Personally, I've waisted a lot of time, as soon as I got my gh5 early this spring, studying how to make it work as close as possible to my gh4 costomization. It was not simple, first of all because the rec button was not there anymore, and the iso wheel wasn't working the same (only a week ago I discovered how to change it!) . Now, after a few months of use, my fingers know where to go by themselves... Since I never use the disp button, I was hoping there was a way to lock it up in the menu or, at least, a long press to disable it. You know, every five minutes it gets pressed by mistake... The button near the lens is so cool, I use it to auto focus while in manual focus.

• The button near the lens is so cool, I use it to auto focus while in manual focus.

Have you tried AF-ON setting? It turns the AF/AE LOCK button into an AF ON button. Similar to your use of the front button, but might be easier to press the AF/AE LOCK button while taking burst pictures. Just a thought. If you give it a try, I would also suggest disabling half-press focus and make sure you have Focus priority rather than Release priority.

• Apparently this guy claims the GH5 6k is sharper and has more vivid color then the 400 all-I and 150 all-I.

• A few questions on fw 2.0 updates.

1. What PC NLE will work with both 10bit 4.2.2 and 6K 3:2 HEVC ??? Currently a Movie Studio, pc user. Haven't upgraded to Vegas Pro 15 yet and haven't really found a need for 10bit in my recent work.

2. What specific adjustments are folks using to grade HGL ???

Any suggestions appreciated.

Cheers, Pete

• Native h.265 file was converted to Apple ProRes 422 (Proxy) codec .

• I am having problems after the update with the LUT visualization in the monitor after reviewing the recorded images, it is disabled although it is marked as active and unless I deactive and reactive it it's not visible. Anyone having this issue after the 2.0?

• Can you film in 25 frames per second in 6k mode?

• @v10tdi

Have you tried AF-ON setting? It turns the AF/AE LOCK button into an AF ON button. Similar to your use of the >front button, but might be easier to press the AF/AE LOCK button while taking burst pictures

Hey, among all the stuff I knew, I didn't know this! Thank you so much, I've made the change right away, I was working with the camera when I read your post. And the Gh4 has exactly the same funcion. So now, on the gh5, I've turned the Fn button near the lens into a lock button.

• @davjd - I'm glad this was helpful. AF-ON is also known as Back Button Focus (BBF).

The only issue I have with the focus system is the AF+MF option, specifically that it really only works with AFS, not AFF or AFC. I believe that MF should be enabled whenever AF is locked or when AF-ON (BBF) is not engaged.

AF+MF will also work with AF-ON + focus mode MF, but I believe the focus mode with AF-ON in this configuration = AFS.

• I have not tried 25fps 6K photo mode but it looks like you could.

37315570976_f89df204c4_z.jpg
    636 x 354 - 114K
  • Screen Shot 2017-10-04 at 8.33.36 PM.png
    435 x 654 - 299K
  • some tests ALL Intra FHD 200mbps I cant see strong differences , even all intra got more noise

• @valpopando they look nice both and as it's out of camera you won't see much difference. The new codec will come into the game when you record V-lock and / or grade the footage.

• @peaceonearth Thx mate.

Finally I got my lexar 1000x 128Gb 150 MB/s , XC II , only 100€ , and work fine , no stop with 4K all Intra 400Mbps ,different frame rate setting .

But playback on my iMac its weird , not fluid , like my computer its not fast enough , or i have to transcode files before import in FCPX? I work with FCPX 10.3.3 , on iMac 27" 3,5Ghz Intel core i7 , nvidia geforce GTX780M , 32Gb ram !! thx

• yes, you have to transcode to proxy or optimized media. I always edit with proxies, switch to original before I export and delete all transcoded media when the project is finished. But always keep original media.

• If you want best quality use h.265 modes. They are better than any 400Mbs all-i and comparable to 1000-2000 Mbs all-i. And consumes only 200Mbs.

I think the 150Mbs ipb is actually better than 400Mbs all-i like was GH3 50Mbs better than 200Mbs all-i.

• for FCPX you need to transcode H265 first. HEVC aka H265 will be implemented in FCPX later this year and if I understood right only for High Sierra OS 10.13

• @Vesku @peaceonearth thx. Any suggestion for the app for transcode files in H265 sorry guess Im getting off topic

• EditReady is the tool you need.