Personal View site logo
Aputure VS 2 and VS 2 fine monitors
  • 31 Replies sorted by
  • Welp, just to add my 2c to the issue.

Yes, it's lightweight. Yes it's 1080.

The downsides that no one has seemed to mention are the color, brightness, and contrast issues. Yes you can adjust those - but to what end? The monitor has troubles with highlights and shadows, losing detail in both. No amount of adjusting contrast or brightness helps this at all. In fact adjust contrast doesn't seem to adjust contrast! Adjusting contrast up seems to brighten the image and blows the highlights, while simultaneously somehow raising the shadows a smidge.

What works "best" for me is to raise the RGB to about 170 (R 170, G160, B170) - this seems to bring back some details in the shadows. I'm not very good with adjusting RGB sliders and can't really get it to match the back of my D750s screen perfectly. Contrast around 20, and Brightness around 50 or 60. Colors still seem a bit off, especially in the midtones.

The D750 screen is crisper, and with the flat profile I can see detail in both highlights and shadows, unlike the VS-2. Color also seems to be truer on the D750.

In use, it definitely helps with focusing, however, focusing on small objects far away remains a challenge even with said 1080 resolution. The screen still seems just a tad bit mushy for my taste, although maybe it's just the small pixels.

With fast motion, there is some screen lag / refresh weirdness, but it's not terrible (it is just for monitoring after all, and not recording)

The case and included accessories are very nice with the exception of the sunhood which is attached with stretchy velcro. This definitely seems like it will fail shortly, but time will tell. Really wish they redesigned that part.

If you want a 1080p monitor at a decent price, this seems to be the only option (apart from the slightly more expensive NEWAY one on PV).

THAT being said, out of the cheapo crap monitors, this one is the "best" of the lot. To be fair I haven't handled any of the more expensive monitors at all, and I know quite a few of those are pretty crap too, so who knows, this may be the greatest steal of the century. I am curious as to how this compares to the new Shogun and SmallHD monitors, although those cost 3x - 6x the price.

If I sound a bit negative, it's only because I really really wanted this to be better. I like a lot of Aputure's other gear (especially those lights and at those price points!), and this one was a bit of a letdown after all the marketing and reviews. Considering all the other options at this price point, I'll be keeping it but wishing I could afford something better.

• One thing you learn hard - cheap things save on panels, as it is most expensive part.

Also cheap companies do not make extensive tests on IPS panels, so they can have image remains from icons and such if you have image for prolonged time.

• I did an unscientific comparison about latency between SEETEC ST-699 and VS-2 FineHD,

GH4 have native latency around 100ms,

GH4's LCD to SETTEC ST-699 around 30ms
    GH4's LCD to VS-2 FineHD around 60ms

VS-2 FineHD is 30ms slower than SETTEC ST-699,

here is one of the picture I taken from the rough comparison

http://imgur.com/f6gCFDV

• FEELWORLD FW759 is good, 1280*800 resolution, ips panel, hdmi input support 1080p 60hz.

• here comes a firmware update, now VS-2 FineHD can take direct 4k signal input.

http://www.aputure.com/V-Screen-VS-2-FineHD/update/

Version: V2.5 Update for: VS-1 FineHD, VS-2 FineHD

Update: (2017.1.20)

1. Support 3840x2160@30Hz/25Hz/24Hz signal format inputs.

2. Optimize Volume bar display accuracy.

3. Resolve Panasonic GH4 noise when 4K signal input.

• I do really like they keep firmware update

Version: V3.1

Update: (2017.8.17)

1. Optimize UI
    2. Recalibrate three modes of color temperature