Personal View site logo
'Lukilink' - Turns a phone into a monitor, recorder and streaming device for $100
  • Seems like an interesting accessory (if it works) - https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/220205692/lukilink

• 22 Replies sorted by
  • I'd been wondering why nobody made a tiny HDMI monitor closer in size to a cell phone that could mount to a camera (since most external monitors I've seen are relatively bulky in comparison to a cell phone and rarely have integrated batteries, etc). I suppose it makes just as much sense to just build a device to use the phone (or a small tablet) as a monitor... I backed it. I hope they can get their latency down!

• @eatstoomuchjam I don't have a need to livestream at the moment but can definitely see the need for a device like this arising in the future. If they could somehow incorporate simultaneous device charging via an internal battery, I think it would make this product even more practical (my battery tends to drain pretty quickly when used at full brightness). It would obviously add some weight and cost to the device, but might be a worthwhile tradeoff on future models.

• @Tron

It is bad designed device that won't deliver the promise.

I suggest to not support it and wait some time for chinese approach.

• @Vitaliy_Kiselev I generally don't back Kickstarters, just sharing the info here for folks that may need something like this and don't mind taking a risk on delivery. I can see buying one eventually if the LUT support materializes and latency is improved... for now I remain skeptical.

There's also the potential that this could become obsolete by an improved Panasonic Imaging App that enables higher resolution monitoring and adds streaming capability (I only shoot on Panasonic at the moment).

It seems the new GH5 update is adding USB tethering support to PCs with some 'Lumix Tether' software, so perhaps this will eventually extend to android and IOS platforms as well and provide similar capability.

• There's also the potential that this could become obsolete by an improved Panasonic Imaging App that enables higher resolution monitoring and adds streaming capability (I only shoot on Panasonic at the moment).

I have close to zero hope for this.

As already v2.0 firmware team is small (mostly fucking with 400Mbit) and most moved to next bodies. We can see another update after v2.0 but no more.

In around 4-5 months you will see Panasonic authorized leaks on next GH body.

• That's interesting. Do you think we will see a GH6 arrive in 2 years vs the typical 3 year cycle?

• The device is inexpensive enough that I'm willing to take the risk. I'd love to have a solution for external monitoring that

• isn't weirdly bulky (most external screens these days)
    • has a built-in battery (unlike most external screens these days, many of which use similarly bulky LP-E6 or NP-F)
    • doesn't require me to manually change wifi on my phone / go offline while I'm using it

Ideally, someone would make a monitor like the Amaran M9 light - little and thin with a built-in battery which charges by USB. Until then, maybe a small dongle that I can plug into my smartphone will be acceptable.

• @eatstoomuchjam

Monitor are made such a way for a reason, as they are durable and convenient. Same for batteries. You can't change physics.

Amaran M9 light is cool, but has many restrictions, little power and very wide flood, hence it drops very fast.

• @Vitaliy_Kisilev I understand the Amaran M9's issues, but yet I love them. As far as monitors, I carry around a 4.7" screen all day long that seems to be pretty durable and has room for a battery as well as storage/memory/processor/cameras. It would make sense that the majority of the storage/memory/processor could be removed and an HDMI port could be added. There's no way an HDMI decoder takes up more space than a quad-core 1.4 ghz processor assembly. It should be possible to do the same with a tablet.

Add USB power/charging and I can just add a portable USB battery pack to my rig when battery levels start dropping (bonus, it can also charge my attached Sony camera).

• It's a UVC capture card (USB video class)...

I'll be shocked if they can get it working with iOS.

Latency will not improve.

Still, hope it works out well.

• I can't imagine why in the world anyone would actually want a non removable battery on a monitor, that seems incredibly inconvenient and a recipe for disaster on most shoots. Once you start introducing more processing into a monitor it can create lag or even cause it to freeze (Odyssey 7). There are plenty of small monitors out there that pretty much achieve everything else you're looking for. Check out the Small HD 500 series monitors or even a used DP4, if you're looking for something even smaller the Ikan VL35 is super tiny and under $250.

• Ikan VL35:

• Screen size: 3.5"
    • Screen resolution: 800x480
    • Dimensions: 4.0 x 2.9 x 0.7 in (volume 8.12 cubic inches)
    • Weight: Weight: 0.2 lbs (add another 0.2 pounds for LP-E6)
    • Cost: $250 + $20/battery
    • Charging: External charger for LP-E6 (additional cost for an LP-E6 charger, I'm guessing USB options are available, but crappy / slow)

iPhone 6 (16GB):

• Screen size: 4.7"
    • Screen resolution: 1334x750
    • Dimensions: 5.44 x 2.64 x 0.27 in (volume 3.88 cubic inches)
    • Weight: 0.28 pounds (battery integrated, should last ~2-4 hours of continuous usage)
    • Cost: $289 refurbished on Amazon, could probably find a cheaper price if you look around
    • Charging: Plug a USB cable into a $20 battery pack good for 2-3 charges (still usable while charging)

Conclusion: Existing "small" monitors are bigger/bulkier with a smaller screen size and they are a poor value compared with a cell phone from a few years ago.

It would be great if a vendor would make something just like an iPhone 6 (or similar vintage Android phone) with similar dimensions and a similar screen, but with an HDMI port, no RAM/flash, and just enough processor power to draw peaking/zebras/histograms on the screen. There's no need to add "more processing" to existing solutions.

• It's not for everybody. Our main focus group are people that used the monitor of the backside of their DSLR before, just because they DON'T want to carry a monitor, extra batteries, extra charger andwahtnot. For vloggers, that used their phone for streaming before, but want to use something better, than the front camera of their phone. Our device is all about making life better for that focus group, not for pros or semipros, who are using proper monitors, recorders or streaming boxes in the studio anyway.

• @FrankGlencairn

Interesting, so you are behind with project?

• Yup - if you guys have any questions, just ask :-)

• @FrankGlencairn

Can you tell more about hardware side? Used chip, does it differ from usual USB capture card?

• Actually I don't understand too much electronics (I'm just a DP, that can't solder a simple connector, without melting it into a useless blob), I have to ask our tech guys. I know that we have a circuit board custom made for us though, since we plan to implement more features in the future, if our Kickstarter campaign is successful, which would have not been possible with just a grabber board.

• Actually I don't understand too much electronics (I'm just a DP, that can't solder a simple connector, without melting it into a useless blob), I have to ask our tech guys.

Can you ask them to also make few photos of board?

I know that we have a circuit board custom made for us though, since we plan to implement more features in the future, if our Kickstarter campaign is successful, which would have not been possible with just a grabber board.

Why it won't be possible? As custom thing is software as I understand.

• As I said, I have not really much clue about hardware or programming, that's why we hired some tech guys. I guess it would be easier if I ask to them chime in here, since I'm probably not much help, when it comes to electronic details.

• @FrankGlencairn

So, idea was general, to use USB capture card and smartphone and after this you hired tech guys to make such thing?

• Yes, we wanted something to use a phone as monitor, recorder, streaming. But what was available on the market, didn't cut it.

• @FrankGlencairn

OK. But remember about my request.

Ask your hardware guys to let us know real details and make photos.