Personal View site logo
Sound Devices MixPre-3 and MixPre-6
  • 71 Replies sorted by
  • Iirc zoom has a dual sd slot. However it wouldn't matter if tascam have 1000 SD slots. When it hits an error it crashes. Crazy stupid- even a gh2 doesn't have this issue!

Zoom also don't have analog limiters. MixPre is analog limiter.

• @alcomposer

Why they do not make recorders with two SD card slots? Can solve all issues and cheap.

• Really interested in the MixPre6. Can anyone share thoughts on SD card issues? I have a few tascams and they are not capable of recovering from SD errors (relocating bad sectors) this isn't a media issue- as they are approved cards.

I know the zoom is very good at recovering from errors (it continues recording- and doesn't crash)

• Yes, the headphone amp is really good. Drives all of my headphones from closed back location cans like the sony mdr's all the way through my Sennheiser HD650's with ease, not noisy at all, and more volume than you would ever need.

• This really seems like sound device of my dreams. I only wonder how noisy headphone amp is. That was the only defect of USBPre 2.

EDIT: SD claims the headphone amp should be great, and a review I found confirms it: "Talking of hearing - the headphone amp is also fantastic - clean and powerful, as SoundDevices say in their promos."

• Unboxing

• That's good. Have you tried a swap over to make sure there is no audible glitch? I find with the Tascam power swap over causes a small spike. Nothing that RX can't fix. But seriously, what can't RX fix?!? :-)

• I think the idea is to have 4 AA batteries in the sled and use the usb C connection with external battery. That way if the connection comes loose or if the external batteries die, the 4 AA in the sled continue to power the recorder.

BTW, USB C connection feels more secure than micro usb. Not totally secure, but definitely better than micro usb.

• :-/ well there is always external power over USB, but it would be nice to "hack the sled" to have a nice strong power connection. My Tascam uses micro USB and it sometimes gets loose.

• There is L Battery sled, not vlock.

• There is the v-lock sled available? I can't work that at @_OZ

• yes, very good ones. Mine arrived yesterday.

Only complaint so far is that the touchscreen is a bit small. I have narrow fingers, but have nails on my right hand because I play classical guitar. It makes controlling some of the functions a bit fiddly.

Also, the 4 AA battery sled will not last a super long time so other power solutions using the usb c are needed, which of course makes it a bit less portable.

It can't be overstated how incredibly tiny this thing is. It really is palm sized. I have the 3, not the 6.

• But do these have an analog limiter?

• This is awesome news. SD MixPre and UsbPre have been holding their prices on eBay. But now SD is offering better products with lower prices. Finally.

• They appear to have HDMI timecode and start/stop, which previously only existed on the Tascam 701D and Atomos devices. This is a great feature for DSLR video I think.

• @1917

Such things need wireless audio and wireless timecode build in. Ala Zaxcom, but patents hold it.

• Last year Zoom was SD killer with their great f4/f8. But now SD makes much more interesting product for same price. Wow! I have SD pix-lr, and it is flawles tool, wide DR, rich clear preamps and poweful analog limiter, always great recording and sound levels monitoring right under the video monitor. And this new thing will be mine asap!