Personal View site logo
Panasonic GH5 camera, actual users feedback
  • 216 Replies sorted by
  • Imackreath - nice work. I got V-Log today so will be giving it a whirl very soon. Quite impressed with AWB so far. I always avoided it like the plague on the GH4 but it seems to be bang on with this camera. Only thing is whether it will 'drift' during a take. If it locked down the WB once you hit record then it could be a really good option.

• In reference to my above Edinburgh video I have put the ungraded vlog edit into dropbox if anyone wants to download and grade for themselves..

https://www.dropbox.com/s/qr5qfagz6tm63t5/edinburgh4kungraded.mov?dl=0

• @bealbuoy I thought I was bad with my growing collection :), I've got 10mm (slr magic), 15mm, 25mm, 42.4mm 75mm (oly) ;) the 45-175 works well, it's one of the older lenses I really wish they would bring out a fresh power zoom but apparently there is no demand when I asked! It can't to dual and I doubt they will bring out a software update now but in lens + the e stabalize makes it much nicer hand held. I've found it nice and sharp, with the slight bump in low light with the gh5 as well the fact it's a bit slow is not such a big deal. I have seen others post about the lens who don't seem to have the same good experience I have with mine so I don't know if I just got lucky but it's not an expensive lens. The auto focus I was really pleased with in 4k it was pretty much unusable on the GH4 with 4k video but even though it's getting a bit long in the tooth and not the latest high speed focus mechanism with the new lenses it seemed to work just great.

The 10, 15, 25 and 75 mm with the new in camera stabilization are so much better as well.

• @nobbystylus thanks for your comments! I agree after grading both videos look rather similar. Vlog was harder to shoot with, even with the preloaded lut ontop. Vlog was also harder to grade, had to really bring down the mid tones before applying any kind of lut. With standard profile I just through on an old favourite rec 709 lut and it was finished!

• While I wait for V-Log (its coming tomorrow) - I noticed another extremely flat 'profile'. In the filters tab there is a filter called 'fantasy' which is extremely milky and flat. It has very clean shadows - and when corrected back to normal actually looks really good. I wonder if the filters are 'pre-profile' or are an effect 'down the chain' from the host profile (in my case Cine d). Anyone know any other details on these filters (beyond the fact that most of them are very cheesy)?

• Imackreath - nice work! Colours look very good on both V-Log and Standard films you've done. Almost identical. Did you notice any dynamic range benefits in V-Log? (not that it was a particularly bright sunny day to cope with).

• 2nd video, shot in standard

• Second video, had some time to pick op my Kessler dolly and made some shots at the local city church :

• Here is my first video from todays filming, Edinburgh in Vlog

• Spent a morning in misty Edinburgh today with the gh5 and the 12-35 mk1. Shot everything in both standard profile all 0's and vlog -5 for NR and Sharpness. All shot at 10 bit 4K 422 24p. Shot everything twice with both profiles.. will upload later..

• @yskunyo I could not imagine needing anymore stabilisation, apparently the mk2 only gives you .5 of a stop extra anyway.. if anyone owns the mk1 I definitely don't thing you need to upgrade

• The internal IBIS alone makes me think that sticking to panasonic lenses is not necessary. I've been experimenting with electronic stabilisation as well and it works brilliantly. Handheld shooting has never been so fun!

• @lmackreath is 12-35mm mk1 is good enough with dual is 1 for you? or should anyone consider the mk2?

• Finally the GH5 pre-order has arrived. Made some early test images:

• Shot this with a pre-production GH5 last month in Mont-Tremblant Quebec.

All handheld

There are shots using 4k 24P 4:2:2 10bit, but mostly 4K 60p and a few HD 180fps slow motion shots!

• @Eno. Thanks - that helped! I've also looked using HDMI out to an external monitor and it's more noticeable there - it's almost like it gets dithered away on the EVF/built in screen. Will test a bit more anyway. I need to check other lenses.

• How is performance of non-panasonic Zooms with the 5 axis stabilisation?

• @umii You mention one of my favorite lens the 45-175. Can you give more detail on how it is working with the GH5. My GH5 to should ship tomorrow. That lens with my set of primes (12, 15, 20, 25, 42.5, N 100mm), has me looking forward to a lot of fun. Yes too many primes, I just don't want get rid of any of them, all has positives. Mostly I use the 12, 20, 42.5 and N 100.

• @Fost

In the "focus peaking" menu you can select the strength of the peaking. Default is high (which is low actually) and if you want a higher degree of peaking you must select low (or something like this). One of the options is for wide angle lenses and greater DOF (that's way it's so subtle) and the other one is stronger (just right for bright apertures).

• One thing I've been struggling with so far is the focus peaking. I've never owned a camera with peaking before however I did try an EM1mki with a vintage minolta lens a few years back and it seemed great. Putting the same lens on the GH5 - I get a few sparkly dots now and then but it seems not to show up most of the time. Anyone got any thoughts? Are there any parameters I should try?

• Have to say one the things that impresses me most is the in body stabilzation when used with no stabilized lens. I have the 12-35 f2.8 mk1 and the 42.5 1.7 which both work with dual is 1 on the gh5 and the extra stability in them with their ois along with the onboard 5 axis is a strong improvement. the 5 axis bodys stabilisation powers are a lot more noticable with my 25 1.7 lens, which has no ois, and was useless to ever use handheld before. now I can hold it as if it were an ois lens used on a gh4!

• Couple of real world point and shoot examples might be of interest, you can certainly just get the shot in 4k and auto focus with the gh5 easier that the gh4 IMO

I thought it did pretty well with the auto focus as well given all the shadows, zoom panning etc.

I did give it quite a lot of data to encode for the 180 fps, I guess depending on the scene the quality may be better but good enough for what I need it for.

180fps

4k autofocus 25fps10 bit origional and 50fps 8bit

• is what handheld?

• Is it handheld?