Personal View site logo
GH5 Panasonic camera, from anticipation to love or hate
  • 2083 Replies sorted by
  • @jamesb 100% agree. Some people are obsessed with the wrong things!

• I think there is something to dr and highlight roll off that always stands out for me more than anything else in the image. And I think a lot have the same feelings .. a used Alexa is 14-15 thousand in eBay these days which is really amazing ,that even after 6-7 years of its release its holding that much value ,and that is considered a steal for that old of technology .. the Panasonic image has improved ,from gh1 tell gh5 , but I would not say it's leaps and bounds ,it's the resolution that they have focused on ,and dr seemed to be least of the concern ,the main reason I moved from dslr to black magic cameras 3 years ago was the dr and codec ..let's not kid our self ,the Alexa is the king of image ,and usually you can spot it right away ,for some reason sony ,red ,and black magic has not gotten the magic recipe to compete with Alexa in terms of dr and highlight roll off for some reason or another ..hope that changes .

• The Pocket/Micro sensor has great DR and decent lowlight because it's only 2MP. Huge pixels/sensels compared to photo cameras, despite being s16mm.

The GH series are still nominally photo cameras, and 16MP just isn't competitive in that market anymore.

To us it seems that 100% of GH4/5 buyers would be completely video oriented, but maybe that's just because we're video oriented- a bit of confirmation bias happening here I think.

• @sammy

Alexa advantage is not only pixel size. It is also, and mainly, sensor response curves (filters they use define it).

• really nice 4K 60p (so I assume 4:2:0 given the current firmware) adventure film. Very entertaining look at gorge tightrope waliking.

• Just a question regarding SD cards for the GH5

I know that UHS II V60 orV90 cards are recommended for the GH5. Is that only for the 400 mbit neccessary or also for the "normal" video with 150 mbit. I have SD cards with 95 MB/s. Are the fast enough for the 150 mbit video? And if not, can one use a fast UHS II card for video in one card slot and the other 95 MB/s card in the other slot for photos? I know that this assigning is possible.

• Topic reminded about one of my old posts

GH5 future owners dreams:

Panasonic management sole dreams:

• @endotoxic A often overlooked aspect of Micro 4/3 vs full frame or even more so apsc is that the m4/3 sensor is by design not as wide. So your kind of missing a major part of the equation that by choosing m4/3 for stills you accept this design decision. Many of us that came from medium format actually like this as it gives us a print friendly ratio we enjoyed with medium format. The difference when comparing just vertical height compared to apsc is significantly less. Oddly enough the loss of width is more daming in video where 16 x 9 is the accepted norm. Such a shame Panny abandoned the multiaspect sensor for this reason. Something I have missed is tethered shooting with CaptureOne that I hope will change with the GH5. Here is a 4K still from GX85 not even a proper still. I think we sometimes make false limits because there might be something a little better most clients could care less about equipment,

4K still small.jpg
    1200 x 675 - 110K
  • So I just received word that I will get a pre-production GH5 and 12-60mm Leica lens to test for the month of February! I want to put this thing through its paces and test as much as possible. @Vitaliy_Kiselev is there a good way to get a list of test requests that doesn't clog up this thread?

I will be testing it myself in real-world shoots such as real estate, live event/concert, action sports (snowboarding/skateboarding) and many more things. I also want to be able to do technical tests such as noise levels, audio with and without XLR input, and properly test the 180fps variable framerates indoors and outdoors.

I will be devoting a lot of time to testing this camera so please let me know the best way to get your requests!

Thanks and I can't wait to get my hands on this camera!

I am a Canadian Panasonic Lumix Ambassador and part of the Lumix Stories website www.lumixstories.ca I have been shooting with Lumix cameras since the GH1, and like to think I know these cameras front to back!

• Hi Tyler, great news, thank you for the testing! From the list of things you plan on testing and your experience with the GH line up I'm exited. I hope you can provide some raw samples like NF has done. I'm also looking forward to how the camera compares to the G85, EM1-II, A6500. Love see also a report on the 12-60 Leica. Exploring settings will be important too. I don't know how far the GH5's autofocus is, but that needs to be tested too. Maybe you can do a weekly Youtube report, and announce a specific focus area for the next week so people can serve you relevant questions. Thank you!

• Hi @tylerknight, If you have worked with Gimbals before, I would be interested how the Double Stabilization system compares to handheld when you walk or shoot in a car driving over a bumpy road. Also focus with a dog running towards you, if the AF keeps the dog in focus. Thanks.

• @tylerknight It seems you already plan that, but I'd be really interested in high-ISO scenarios in lowlight. So far, we saw high ISO in areas which had still enough light, so hard to judge how bad or good it really performs. Driftwood did test on a street, but had those weird settings in; so maybe a street scene in the dark, 10bit 422 at 180°/360° shutter would be nice? :) maybe with a bit of passing people (to rule out the weird ghosting we saw in Driftwoods video). Preferrably in CineD or vLog (if you get vLog)

Aside of that, some DR stuff would be interesting, real life scenes

• So I just received word that I will get a pre-production GH5 and 12-60mm Leica lens to test for the month of February! I want to put this thing through its paces and test as much as possible. @Vitaliy_Kiselev is there a good way to get a list of test requests that doesn't clog up this thread?

Yes, of course. Best is to make separate topic and post here link to it.

• @CameraRick Can you post a link the Driftwood "weird ghosting" clip? I have seen all his demos and have not seen ghosting.

• More Gh5 internals.

GH5 internals.jpg
    738 x 493 - 270K
    pana08.jpg
    800 x 533 - 143K
    GH5 motherbord.jpg
    640 x 480 - 153K
    GH5 sensor.jpg
    640 x 480 - 68K
    GH5 sensor 2.jpg
    480 x 360 - 17K
  • @Eno

Need some full resolution photos :-(

• @Vitaliy_Kiselev

I know, unfortunately that's what I could find only. :(

• @caveport look here:

In the end, when the woman passes the darker wall

Funny enough, Driftwood has this video also on his own Vimeo, but there it's much shorter and this section not included

• Here's the thread to post your GH5 test requests and I will do my best to do as many as possible in the time that I have the camera.

http://personal-view.com/talks/discussion/16411/panasonic-lumix-gh5-testing-requests

• Panasonic Japan issued a note about the GH5 availability. Because of higher than expected preorders they expect a delay in the GH5 delivery. There is no detailed info about when we can expect to get our hands on the GH5.

Partially it is marketing, like Olympus.

But partially it is GH series fate. It is always like such.

• @Vitaliy_Kiselev

The same thing happened at the GH4 the launch (as you said).

After 3 years of of market evaluation, pour Panasonic coud not anticipate the high demand of the new GH5. :))