Personal View site logo
GH5 Panasonic camera, from anticipation to love or hate
  • 2083 Replies sorted by
  • It is a worthy mission Vitaliy, and I only now see that aspect of your Lab idea. In fact, maybe these kind of tests should be sought after and funded by companies that make software for postproduction 'correction' really, since these guys are taking their game away.

For now, if 'prosumer' gear manufacturers loose compass in what is too much, someone needs to be there with legitimacy and competency to call bullshit, at least to force them to call things right. And they ARE getting more and more brave, seems like, not only in video capturing, audio has less hardware requirements, and has been victim to that kind of strategy for a while, as the recorders get 'smarter' - have more capabilities for complex software processing of what's coming in from cheaper and shittier mics. Obviously that is what is going on now with this market, and I don't see why it wouldn't spill over to higher end.

• @inqb8tr

This is also why we need good lab that is able to measure sensors and check also video and photo raw behavior.

I am sure that in coming years we'll see more and more focus on software due to hardware limits.

• If I may say my totally unscientific impression, based on working a lot with NR software in post, GH5 also uses heavier noise reduction than we have previously had on Lumix models, and many other cameras for that matter, and by that it gains better apparent ISO performance, but in high ISO examples we've seen so far, NR and sharpening artefacts are obvious. It seams that they've only raised the bar of what is possible to CPU, and the bar of what is acceptable to present as better low light capabilities.

• Olympus Mk II sensor results are up, must be very close to GH5

It seems that Olympus implemented more aggressive noise reduction, now in raw also

Olympus claim it’s a newly developed sensor and with lower noise, and both wider dynamic range and improved color discrimination at all ISOs it is one of the most significant upswings in performance we’ve seen in this format.

https://www.dxomark.com/Reviews/Olympus-OM-D-E-M1-Mark-II-sensor-review-New-standard

sample352.jpg
    800 x 278 - 38K
  • Does somebody know if you shoot at 180fps, can you choose not to conform in camera and output a 180fps video file to play with it in post? Or do you have to choose some framerate up to 60fps?

I'm curious about the bitrate of each fps output.

• Here in the lumix lounge, one can find all specs, explanations og the GH5 and the known videos, but also 6K photo samples, that I have not seen yet.

http://lumixlounge.com/lumixgh5/

• Very true! I guess Dolby and Microsoft are also pushing their own "HDR" photo standards.

• So it sounds like we could see a further firmware update next year to implement 10 or 12 bit HDR jpegs.

Or we will have war with 5 standards competing for it :-)

Actually no one need so called "HDR" jpegs.

It must be HEVC based stills encoding with 12-14bit linear sRGB.

• From the presentation pdf... "Standards are being advanced to link with HDR still pictures by 2018."

So it sounds like we could see a further firmware update next year to implement 10 or 12 bit HDR jpegs. http://www.popphoto.com/news/2014/01/jpeg-standard-91-will-bring-12-bit-color-lossless-compression

• @AKED

As far as I know it is made in head office and was sent to regional ones.

Most interesting part in it is about AF and DFD especially.

• It was found on a russian photo forum by my ukranian friend.

• @theSUBVERSIVE A friend from the Ukraine send it to me. I have to ask where he got it from.

• @AKED nice! Where did you get it? I searched a lot for it back in CES but could only grab a few snapshots that Newsshooter interview showed - that was taken down afterwards... hahahaha...

• @kinvermark That the 180 is approaching GH2 quality is amazing to me. That is a personal standard for 'good enough' (still using, and will continue to use, the GH2), and I've always wanted super slow motion in such a tiny camera.

It is impressive

• @AKED

Thanks, I put it on PV and also added link to it in http://www.personal-view.com/faqs/gh5-notes/gh5-notes

@konjow

Specially for you, same type presentation for GH4

http://www.personal-view.com/downloads/GH4_Presentation.pdf

• GH4 was so shit...;)

• Has this been posted? I did not see it

GH5 complete PDF presentation

• @ labalbi,

Why OMG? Moire is to be expected in the 180 fps 1080p mode. This is a "special" mode and not indicative of moire in other modes like 4k 10 bit , etc.

• @J_Cooks Neumann Films usually uses NeatVideo to clean the Footage. ...seems to work well.

@Scot first backpack-shot is 4k 29.97 the second is 1080p 180fps

• @labalbi earlier the same backpack does not moire so seems scene specific maybe due to how sun is hitting it so might be rare occurrence to early to tell.

• The slow mo bird video is slowed down to 25% in post, so of course it has artifacts

• @labalbi - of course there is lots of moire. this is pixel binned 1080p. looks worse than GH2 to my eye. Just like all the other 4k cams out there.

• 600mm handheld with duel IS 2