Personal View site logo
Panasonic G80 / G85 / G8 4K 5-axis stab magnesium monster
  • 511 Replies sorted by
  • @Vesku

Look at http://www.personal-view.com/talks/discussion/comment/226982#Comment_226982

G85 use newer LSI, more powerful. Including much better noise reduction using multiple frames.

If the G85 good high iso is done by LSI processing I wonder if it is possible to get similar result with GH4 and post processing.

If GH4 had raw it will be certainly possible. :-)

• @Vitaliy_Kiselev

I wonder how Panasonic can change a good RAW sensor to bad video sensor? I think GH4 has more FW processing power than G85. At least 4k AF is much faster in GH4. Maybe G85 LSI has still more power and wisdom.

If the G85 good high iso is done by LSI processing I wonder if it is possible to get similar result with GH4 and post processing.

• @Vesku

As far as I know all of sensor scores are calculated from stills raw photos.

• It is strange that GH4 has the best sensor and the best iso score but still worst high iso video.

• Panasonic G80/G85 image stabilization freezes in cold?

Not my example but I shoot much in cold winter conditions with my GH4 and have not seen this issue with lens OIS (My 14-140mm II vibrates always in hot and gold weather). I hope the GH5 IBIS will not have this issue.

• Comparison IBIS stickyness before and after FW fix:

• Have anyone tried G80 with metabones speed booster ULTRA 0.71x Canon EF? Sample footage?

• No, it works only with Panasonic lenses.

• Does anyone know if dual IS works with zuiko 12 100 mounted on a G80?

• So the G85 is showing more moiré in video than the G7 from those who have one?

• @Sulph Well if it is rolling shutter there maybe hope in the GH5 as the new Olympus seems to have rolling shutter under fairly good control with it's faster readout.

• Yes it seems that it is not "stabilization dependent". It's a "feature"...at list with my unit. Very problematic for my own concerns. I'll do more tests this week.

• @Sulph I did a quick test and I think now especially with your input it is a rolling shutter issue causing the effect. It is just made all the more obvious by the harsh change of light at the windows. Whether IBIS is making that worse I don't know.

• @liork @Scot Well, SS was 60, 3.5 aperture. 4k 30ips Cine D.

• @Sulph I don't have near the technical skills that some on this site have. That being said I too like liork am curious as the shutter speed and mode etc. The effect is far more obvious in the bright light transitions as you noted which is hitting me as a shutter speed effect as the frames transition from the light to dark you are not getting a smooth transition from frame to frame more stroboscopic which could mean to high a shutter speed. But lets see what others say.

• What is the shutter speed in this video?

• @Scot I think it is most noticable in the highlights. Here is a vimeo link (g80 is the password).

• @Sulph I have not noticed it myself would probably be helpful if you posted an example for people to evaluate. After all you don't call the Dr and ask him to diagnose sight unseen he will demand to see you : )

• @apefos Yes! after all creativity is also working around the limitations of your tools or embracing them.

• I've just bought the PAL version, with the new 12-60 lense (both firmware are 1.1) and I'm quite concerned with the results so far in video mode. Both 4K and HD videos have a lot of micro jittering when panning with stab on. It's almost unusable footage. Tested it with the kit lens and the 20mm pancake: same results. Does anyone have this problem too?

• @Scot let's start a "beautiful freckles" topic!

We can also start a "beautiful moiré" topic, and develop a music video where the moiré is the main effect surrounding the musicians.

• Would you avoid to love a girl just due to her freckles? Of course not.

Science does not support this statement.
    In real life very small imperfections can lead to mate rejection.
    And some big can be ignored.

But we are in a thecnical comunity, so we talk about freckles here, hoping the manufactures are reading the forum.

They certainly are.