Personal View site logo
GH4 footage choppy on XPS15 i7 6700HQ
  • I just got a brand new Dell XPS15 with 16gb ram, i7 6700HQ and a Geforce 960m. Why the hell does my 4k footage run like garbage even compared to my old Macbook Air?

Is it Windows 10? Because going by bechmarks, my Windows 7 desktop with FX3850 is not much faster en slower on single treaded operations, but playing back GH4 footage is a piece of cake.

Anyone got some insight?

• 7 Replies sorted by
  • What software is used for playback?

• Drivers? Storage? Player? Which Win10 build?

• If you are using the built-in LCD display on the laptop, a lot of time the discrete graphics processor (GeForce 960M in this case) is not used by default. Which would mean that video playback may not be hardware accelerated or may use the Intel integrated HD graphics.

If I remember correctly, there is a setting in the Nvidia Control Panel to force it to use the discrete graphics for specified applications or globally.

Also check your power management settings, as a lot of times laptops will throttle back graphics performance to save power.

• If you are using the built-in LCD display on the laptop, a lot of time the discrete graphics processor (GeForce 960M in this case) is not used by default. Which would mean that video playback may not be hardware accelerated or may use the Intel integrated HD graphics.

It is not really correct. As even Intel build in GPU in his CPU has perfect hardware acceleration, actually, usually better compared to NVidia.

• I have the same laptop and I've used it to play back 4k footage from drones (60 megabits) and my A7r (100 megabits) and it's been just fine.

Edit: If you want to share a problematic file with me, I'd be glad to take a look at it.

• I suppose it's possible that the hardware acceleration of the integrated Intel GPU isn't being used either and it is just using software H.264 decoding for playback.

Would help to know what application is being used to play the files.

• Try to playback with MPC-HC (Media Player Classic Home Cinema). It has built-in LAV filters which can use HW accel for playback and you can select which one you want (CUDA, Intel QS or OpenCL). Or you can just install LAV filters to use with other players..