Personal View site logo
Panasonic G80 / G85 / G8 4K 5-axis stab magnesium monster
  • 511 Replies sorted by
  • Official announcement on USA facebook page saying firmware update to be released this week!

https://www.facebook.com/Lumix/?fref=ts

• So, anyone knows if the Mitakon Lens Turbo fits the G80's body because of some talk that the speedbooster might be incompatible? (For whatever reason!?) Source: http://www.camerajabber.com/panasonic-pro-users-thoughts-lumix-g80/

• Additionally, based on our testing, the issue doesn't seem to affect non Dual I.S. 2-compatible lenses. While you wait for the fix, using a non-Dual I.S. 2 lens is one possible workaround, as is turning image stabilization off (although that is not ideal when working at longer focal lengths).

I think our members tests do not match this description and issue is with sensor stabilization, no matter the lens

• G85 seems to have much slower AF in 4k mode than the GH4. It is surprising because it is over 2 years newer tech.

G85 has 2 improvements in ergonomics over GH4.

1. It has a play button in right side. No need to take left hand out of the lens when reviewing images.

2. It has no useless EV-button like GH4.

Unfortunately GH5 has those inconveniences. I hope they make more custom FN options for those features/buttons.

• Vesku, I've seen in the DP-review that the G85 has variable focus sensitivity. Default it is slow to respond, at high it's very fast.

• @cas1

Your example is fullhd AF. 4k is different, I think.

From Fredrik Gløckners Youtube channel:

"As for autofocus, it is disappointing to see that the Lumix G85 is way worse than the Lumix GH4, even if the GH4 isn't very good at 4k autofocus to begin with. I would speculate that this comes down to processing power. Contrast Detection Autofocus (CDAF) and Depth From Defocus (DFD), the technologies used by Panasonic for focusing, require a lot of processing power. Supposedly, the Lumix GH4 has a quad core CPU image processor to be able to handle the video stream. Perhaps the G85 is not specified as with the same processing power, and cannot focus as fast.With 1080p footage, though, I don't see much difference. The Lumix G85 focuses snappy enough during video recording when using Full HD 1080p resolution, in my experience."

• @VortekShow Don't know about the Mitakon but i have a generic chinese speed booster FD-m43 and it works. @Vitaliy_Kiselev you're right, the stabilization problem happens with all lenses, dual is2 or not.

• According to CameraJabber the g80 firmware update will be issued at on the company’s global website (www.panasonic.com) at 6am GMT tomorrow.

http://www.camerajabber.com/firmware-upgrade-panasonic-g80g85-imminent/

• ... Confucius say:
    "Hard Off Man who injects Firm's Wares into his body, probably not very Firm Where Hard On should be." ...

?
    I think what Confucius was saying here is.... Don't get too excited and let someone else be the guinea pig first.

• great news, can anyone confirm that now all motion with IBIS works great?

• Firmware structure

GX8

• loader1
    • loader2
    • loader3
    • program
    • storage
    • postboot1
    • postboot2
    • postboot3
    • postboot4
    • postboot5
    • dram_sleep
    • eep_ow_a
    • eep_ow_b
    • eep_adjfix
    • music
    • osdover
    • osddata
    • koutei_kao
    • avchd_info
    • eep_net_a
    • eep_net_b
    • focus_selec
    • dummy

GX85 aka MC262

• loader1
    • loader2
    • loader3
    • program
    • storage
    • postboot1
    • postboot2
    • postboot3
    • postboot4
    • postboot5
    • dram_sleep
    • eep_ow_a
    • eep_ow_b
    • eep_adjfix
    • music
    • osdover
    • osddata
    • koutei_kao
    • avchd_info
    • eep_net_a
    • eep_net_b
    • apu_boot
    • apu_inst
    • usbcharge
    • focus_selec

G85 aka MC361

• loader1
    • loader2
    • loader3
    • program
    • storage
    • postboot1
    • postboot2
    • postboot3
    • postboot4
    • postboot5
    • dram_sleep
    • eep_ow_a
    • eep_ow_b
    • eep_adjfix
    • music
    • osdover
    • osddata
    • koutei_kao
    • avchd_info
    • eep_net_a
    • eep_net_b
    • apu_boot
    • apu_inst
    • focus_selec

Quite clear that it is almost same LSI with firmware NAND memory being double of that of GH4,

G85 and GX85 are being extremely close.

• Just updated my G80 and it's fine, no more jerky jumps on pans ( horizontal and diagonal), and it still feels steady when not moving. Tried with 12-60 I.S.2 and 14-140 MegaOIS lenses. Well done Panasonic.

• Agreed, the 1.1 fw fixes the video stab issue (tested on voigtlander 25mm).

• The new firmware is AMAZING.

It completely fixes the issues that users were experiencing before and I have spent the morning out shooting with it in various scenarios. It is noticeably better than the GX85 which was already amazing on its own, but the Dual IS 2 is definitely a step forward from that after the update.

I'm looking forward to getting out shooting more with it and posting the results! The G85 is back in the lead!!

• Updated too! and working fine. (But my opinion in this area is not so valid because the isue was not so bad to me before.)

• First test online with the new firmware:

• Just went outside a tested a few lenses.

A manual focus vintage lens to test ONLY sensor stab, the 12-60 kit lens with Dual IS 2, and the 12-35 f2.8 to test Dual IS

Shot in 4K 24p 1/50th Exported in 1080p

• My questions might dumb, but I really curious about what other people tought about.

After most of you have sufficient experience with Lumix G8, do you feel that dual IS 2 reduces the need of a gimbal or a glidecam? In what occasion do you feel that a kind of stabilization is still required? Thanks
  • For ocasional handheld shoots is a great improvement. Gimbal + IBIS could be killer combination!

• @Grimor will you dump the gimbal for dual IS 2 only for works or you feel G7 + a gimbal is a better option in order to have nice stabilized footage?

I am calculating a G7 + a gimbal vs G8 because both will cost the same amount of money to upgrade from old GH.
  • @yskunto G7 + Gimbal is great that being said Gimbals are kind of a nuisance to work with IMO especially with G7 as battery changing requires removal of camera and rebalancing. There are things they can do like make shift jib when Mounted on a monopod which is great. If I were you I'd spend the money for the IBIS it can do much of what a Gimbal can and doesn't get in the way to do it. Than save for a Gimbal for those special things they can do or rent when necessary.

• G7 + Gimbal is great that being said Gimbals are kind of a nuisance to work with IMO especially with G7 as battery changing requires removal of camera and rebalancing

By idea it must not need any rebalancing. Remove camera with QR plate with market distance, change battery, install at same position. Few seconds.

• The firmware update was to correct the visible recoil or bounce-back effect that happens in video mode when panning the camera. I’ve now shot more video with the camera and there is an improvement with the updated 12-60mm kit lens and at common video panning speeds many would struggle to spot it. However, as you can see from the video above, the problem persists with the Panasonic Leica DG Vario-Elmar 100-400mm f/4-6.3 lens. The narrow angle of view of this lens makes any movement much more obvious.

From 43rumors.