Personal View site logo
GH4 — Use iPhone as wireless monitor
  • 153 Replies sorted by
  • @discomandavis Thanks, I hope so too. :)

@nobbystylus Good to hear. I'd be excited to see a photo of the app when used with your anamorphic gear. Cheers!

• Celebration time!

I had my first sale on the App Store yesterday. If it was any one of you here, thanks a lot (although I doubt it since it's the first beta version and you all have the sweet settings features).

Cheers!

• @mjas congrats man!

• I'm testing out an Android beta now. We've still got some trouble with intermittent lag—it's better but still not as great as on iOS.

I'm doing a private beta of Android so I can have conversations with all testers. Let me know your email (in a personal message) and I will add you.

android-scene-smaller.JPG
    1920 x 1280 - 1M
  • I have quite specific question.

Can you make it work with multiple cameras? I do not mean in same time, but use quick swipe to switch and check another camera.

• @Vitaliy_Kiselev No that will not work because you need to be connected via WiFi to the camera, and your device can only be connected to one WiFi.

• No that will not work because you need to be connected via WiFi to the camera, and your device can only be connected to one WiFi.

Well, yes. And as you swipe - it reconnects. Can be not instant like 2 seconds.

• Connection must be made by user unfortunately. Maybe with a hacked phone, but I am not making apps for hacked phones.

There is also discovery complications—I want the app to be simple, and such a feature would make it very complex. I think most of my beta testers agree that the simplicity is one of the main strengths of the app.

• @mjas

But you plan to make one for Android. App certainly can choose among available wireless points. Initial connection will be established by user and app will switch between them.

Let me explain idea - I want to have portable wireless monitor for multi camera shots. And this is big market among youtube guys. And really unique feature no app has.

• @Vitaliy_Kiselev Again—very complex to make it work well. Because of that it is low priority.

~80% of beta testers say they want to use with gimbal / steadycam / shoulder rig ~20% of beta users want to use with anamorphic lenses

0% of beta users say they want multi-cam auto-switching

I am listening to my beta users.

• I am not trying to be negative, so excuse me if it comes off that way (writing on the internet is hard to show empathy). But more features is not equal to a better app. I have received nothing but good feedback, and the suggestions I have from actual beta testers are the most important to me.

• @mjas

Well it is called negative loop.

As people did not see such feature and people who use multi cam does not know about app and such possibility.

• @Vitaliy_Kiselev I would be happy to talk to multi-cam users. Do you know anyone?

• @mjas anyway to have the iphone playback what you've recorded, or for it to record a proxy, or maybe some kinda screen capture?

If you have enough success with this app do you think Panasonic would want to purchase it, or give you a job? lol

• The app also works perfectly with my LX100...great job.

• @GravitateMediaGroup Is i possible to do with the pana app?

@Cinexa Great! Thanks for reporting. :)

• If I have enough success with the app then maybe I can add more types of cameras. Like Sony?

• @mjas i'm not sure if the panny app does it or not, I don't use it that often. I do know that DJI app does something like that.

• @mjas

Small marketing tip - keep it as separate apps. Just sell it as separate entries.

• Panasonic app does playback of recordings.

• @GravitateMediaGroup @caveport since it's possible in pana app then it should be possible to add, but this will be in the future!

• Scopes 1.1 on App Store

Scopes with anamorphic desqueeze and image controls is now on the app store. If you would like to support the development it would be magnificent if you would buy a copy. The beta program will continue as usual (free). New updates will come first to beta, and then to the paid version when it's been tested.

--> Buy Scopes on App Store <--

### Dev update

G7 workaround

I got feedback from erikhafo that Scopes works with the G7 if you start the Pana app first. So for anyone wanting to use Scopes this is a workaround until I've fixed the problem.

Android

I've been busy at work, so not too much. I've had a few people test the Android version and reports are saying it works. On one Nexus 5X the app could not connect to the GH4.

• Anamorphic with G7 from erikhafo and GH4 from aksu. Cool stuff!

Screen Shot 2016-11-01 at 5.10.31 PM.png
    758 x 988 - 1M
    scopes-133-slr-anamorphot-test.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 236K
  • Yup, that's my G7 w/ Möller anamorphot 32/2x. Sorry about the ridiculous looking mount.

• I'll preface this by saying of course you don't have to listen to my opinion, but thought I'd share it. To be honest, I feel like $29.99 is too high a price for this app. I really like the functionality and everything, but I can use the Panasonic App, and just do without full screen. Not that I want to. I'd like to have the full screen functionality some times, but it has to be worth it. That said, I am very frugal (see my collection of old Rokkor lenses I shoot on that I got for the price of one modern lens) so again, take my opinion for what it's worth.

For me personally, $9.99 to $14.99 seems like a more appropriate price. If I'm going to spend $29.99 on an app, it's probably a full functioned suite of filmmaking tools, and even that has an app for $5.99.

Almost all of the apps on this list of best filmmaking apps are less than $20, with most less that $10. http://www.premiumbeat.com/blog/filmmaking-apps-iphone/

Again, you don't have to listen to me at all, and maybe a lot of others are willing to pay more than me, but for me personally, it's just a bit too much. I don't expect you to change your price, just offering my feedback, and with all that said, keep up the great work! If enough functionality is added, it may be worth $29.99 for me. If it was $14.99 I would buy it. $9.99 and I'd snatch it up in a heartbeat.

Another suggestion to drive sales would be to add Panaonic Lumix in the description and change the name to "Scopes for Lumix®" (if you're allowed to use their name in your app title) so that people searching for Lumix link would also find yours. Without looking into it, I think that you can do this as it's describing what your product (app) is for, but not sure. I'm sure you'd be ok to at least put, "An app to preview the wireless video feed from Panasonic Lumix® Cameras."

I do appreciate the time and effort you've put into this, and know that if I feel I need to use the app for a job, I will purchase it, even if it is a bit expensive. Cheers!