Personal View site logo
a6300: Passive Cooling Idea to fix Overheating issue
  • Did anyone try this? I Just had this idea. Just sandwich a thermal pad between the a6300 and the battery grip, using the pressure to transfer the body heat to the pad, which in turn dissipates the heat through some small ram heatsinks. I think this might actually work. Removable, silent, cool. Does anyone have the stuff lying around to try it? :)

• 18 Replies sorted by
  • testing out a NX1 in the next couple days. I might miss the lowlight. And the availability of a lowcost speedbooster.

• IMHO, log with 8 bit recording is more like a marketing gag than anything else.

Any log is marketing. And actual explanation of it is mostly idiotic patents of compressed raw. Best format is to have interframe extra efficient compressed raw.

• Don't overestimate the advantages of Slog2. Too wide a log scheme for storage in 8 bit. You can only use it for very contrasty scenes or you'll pull apart that compressed picture into garbage. IMHO, log with 8 bit recording is more like a marketing gag than anything else.

• Well, NX1 has log as I remember.

It is not heatpipe, just water cooling. heatpipe is different thing and is based on evaporation.

• yeah a nice heatpipe! :D well, I must admit the NX1 solution does look a lot more appealing than that. since it is hacked and also scaling down from 6k. No SLOG2 tho.

• Thing you can try is to disassembly camera and put inside (on the back) thin copper or alu tube, make two holes and route it out having two threaded attachment soldered to it. So you can just add small water pump and it'll work infinitely.

• I tried it. does not do a whole lot. the battery grip has zero advantage over the plain camera with cage,too.

• I was more referring to the higher compression from the lower bitrate, mixed with the relative (compared to like a gh4) lack of detail in dark areas. Since the shadows are more smoothed, the compression goes extra crazy on it since theres little detail to try to preserve.

• Its just so ridiculously low for 4k, especially with their overzealous noise reduction smoothing everything to oblivion in the shadows.

It is not low if you shoot not something short.

And next statement is just contradictory, as noise reduction actually saves bitrate, if you turn it off you need much more of it.

• I wonder when Sony will give us >100Mbps. Its just so ridiculously low for 4k, especially with their overzealous noise reduction smoothing everything to oblivion in the shadows.

• I was not aware of the nx1 hack, thanks for the tip :)

• quite the nice camera. have not looked into it yet. Its a bit bigger though. Might aswell get a a6500 then

A6500 is A6300 with few added quirks. For long events NX1 is much better as files are much smaller and you have much more choice between ultimate quality and just handy small files (due to hacks).

• quite the nice camera. have not looked into it yet. Its a bit bigger though. Might aswell get a a6500 then :-D - but still. hope this idea works. It only has to work in settings where the camera films a ridiculously long event, too.

• Can I offer radical and total solution? I mean get NX1.

• The heatsinks are placed on the outside of the battery grip!

thermal pad+cage is another thing I'll try- I'm running the latest update and it will overheat around 20-30mins if I do nothing against it.

• People have had the most success adding thermal pads to the SmallRig cage around the mount area. Though since the last FW update came out, there really haven't been many overheating complaints at all.

• And what is purpose of heatsinks in closed space? It'll be just thermal accumulator with delayed overheat.

Otherwise you need to first measure thermal resistance of a6300 bottom and if it makes to do anything like it at all.