Personal View site logo
Sony SpectraLayers, now Steinberg SpectraLayers
  • SpectraLayers introduces an innovative, unique workflow that redefines what can be accomplished in the professional audio editor's suite," said Dave Chaimson, vice president of global marketing for Sony Creative Software. "The level of editing precision and advanced capabilities SpectraLayers offers makes it an essential tool for industry professionals who demand the deepest audio analysis tools."

SpectraLayers Offers the Following Transformational Features:

Extreme Audio Editing

• Divide audio files into discrete, user-defined layers that can be processed independently and reintegrated to achieve perfect master files.
    • Remove unwanted noises and artifacts with ease while leaving surrounding audio data completely intact.
    • Separate music and dialogue into individual component layers.
    • Perform pitch correction on user-selected components of an audio file.
    • Employ SpectraLayers in audio mastering, sound design, analysis, and forensics tasks.
    • All tools are modifiable using a wide range of user-definable sensitivities and tolerances.

Extraction Tools

Extract audio into independent layers using intelligent, programmable tools:

• Area — select any audio for transfer from directly within the spectrum graph.
    • Frequency — track frequencies and transfer them directly to selected layers.
    • Harmonics — seek and select harmonics in user-defined amounts and orders.

Modification Tools

Operate directly on waveform spectra to perform precise, creative edits:

• Amplify
    • Clone
    • Erase

Creation Tools

Create sound directly in the SpectraLayers interface

• Frequency
    • Noise
    • Fidelity / Flexibility

• 32-bit 96 kHz capable.

• SpectraLayers provides seamless file transfer to Sound Forge Pro and other audio editing programs.

SpectraLayers is available for both Mac and Windows platforms.

Available:

http://www.amazon.com/Sony-SPL1000-Spectra-Layers/dp/B008MIMHGM/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1344266704&sr=8-1&keywords=spectralayers

More info:

http://www.sonycreativesoftware.com/spectralayerspro

• 31 Replies sorted by
  • wow, that's great

• Looks funkylike a crazy menage a trois between Melodyne Sonic andCedar :) looks interesting

• Interesting video about ReNovator (much more costly stuff with similar goal) and it's usage in films

• Adobe Audition has a similar spectral analysis and repair feature, but this is so much more powerful AND non destructive. I'm glad that SONY is now making software products that include the Mac platform.

• Wow, looks awesome, but on the other hand, I would have liked sound editing software to be priced a little lower ($250?).

• @jfilmmaker

Right now price is $219. And price is quite right, as they had low price for short period and our members bough out all of items in less than two hours :-)

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008MIMHGM/sr=8-1/qid=1365791659/

• Its outstanding. Ive removed stuff from recordings that I thought could never have been rid of. Its intricate - it takes time to master properly but its bloody-well worth it - a great app.

• While I love the technology, so far the proof is in the putting, and using easy "sirens" is a good demo, but hardly a typical usecase for this. They seem to be claiming to do quite a bit, but only showing the simplest usecase. It's a demo, but it would have been nice to show at least how one could clean up the extraction better, and maybe even show how you could extract/cancel out a more complicated case like a voice.

The touch ups that seem to be showed, are very rudimentary. I like the non-destructive nature of it, and as one who has lots of experience with image touchup and editing, I liken the tools they provide (demo) as one of two: 1) too simplistic 2) too automatic (similar to some new photoshop tools, where it promises the moon (remove an object for example, or seamless image rescaling), but in practice only work in very clinical situations, and on real-world cases show massive artifacting.

In the end, for my image editing (which often is removing unwanted objects), I still end up using layers and manual methods, as the blending tools work much better for getting "seamless" results. For my audio editing, I'd love a similar tool, from what I see in spectralayers, it's getting there, but it's not quite there yet for primetime.

On the other hand, the ReNovator seems way more in in my domain, more control, definitely more of a focus on tools for image manipulation.

Actually, I for this type of work, it might be better to do a mish mash, use spectralayers to do harmonic selection, export all the layers into photoshop, and do serious image manipulation on them. We need a photoshop plugin asap ;)

• While I love the technology, so far the proof is in the putting, and using easy "sirens" is a good demo, but hardly a typical usecase for this. They seem to be claiming to do quite a bit, but only showing the simplest usecase. It's a demo

Just get one and use. As for demo - they use simplest thing as it is obvious to everyone. If you start removing small noises and sounds (as most people will be doing) it could be just hard to spot :-)

• hey guys! for people having problem selecting the hear (speaker) in more than one layer try pressing "esc" once. then select the layer/s you want to be heard. I don't know if it is a bug and/or which systems or machines are affected, have found another fella over creative cow with same problem. here using an old macbook pro and OS 10.6.8
    gashô

• SpectraLayers Pro 2 introduced.

New stuff:

• Significantly Enhanced Performance: Enjoy faster spectral graph explorations in any scenario.
    • Spectral Casting / Molding: Cast the frequency signature of one layer over that of another to derive a derivative layer that can be phase-inverted to create free spectral space for hard-to-distinguish sounds to occupy in a mix. Try a spectral alternative to typical side-chain/ducking processes, or tap this feature’s creative potential for incredible sound design possibilities.
    • Shape Tool: Perfect for extracting drum sounds, simply point at a shape on the spectral graph and click to pull your hits over to a target layer.
    • Frequency Range Display Options: Display frequency ranges plotted on your choice of logarithmic scales.
    • One-Click Noise Extraction: A new one-click command executes your custom noiseprint over the target layer’s entire spectral expanse.
    • Looping: Define a time range and engage looped playback to audition full-spectrum selections as well as frequency bandwidth-limited selections.
    • New Resampling and Remixing Options: Freely define, route, and mix channels during the resampling process.
    • Retina Ready: Peer deeper into the spectral graph while taking advantage of your Retina display equipped MacBook Pro.

More info at http://www.sonycreativesoftware.com/spectralayerspro

• SpectraLayers Pro 2.1 Update released:

• Free update for registered SpectraLayers Pro 2.0 users; purchase price unchanged.
    • Interoperability with Sound Forge Pro Mac. Effortlessly move audio data between SpectraLayers Pro and Sound Forge Pro Mac and enjoy the strengths of both programs in a seamless process.
    • Reverb removal process. Reduce or eliminate reverb in the spectral domain with just a few clicks.
    • Improved noise reduction algorithm. Subtract more noise with less impact on the program material.
    • Noise reduction process option. Send program material directly to a new layer.

More info at http://www.sonycreativesoftware.com/spectralayerspro

Reverb removal feature seems very useful for us video guys, needs testing.

• The Sony version of 3 is extremely powerful, but the interface is a bitch. The OSX version was obviously ported from Windows - it does not support trackpad gestures, so I had to use a mouse (ugh). Izotope RX-4 (the latest version when I tested both) is much more intuitive, but cannot get down to the fine detail as Spectralayers can, and the standard version does not include reverb. You have to pay $1100 for the pro version to get that. Besides, the trial version of RX is so crippled that you can't determine exactly what it can do. So, I chose Spectralayers, and spent two weeks learning to remove noise in an extremely difficult situation. It worked.

• Rx5 is the latest version. It is quite good.

• Besides, the trial version of RX is so crippled that you can't determine exactly what it can do. So, I chose Spectralayers, and spent two weeks learning to remove noise in an extremely difficult situation. It worked.

Well you can try RX5 another way, not so crippled and very cheap :-)

• Too late. I'm not about to change now. Moving forward, though, the people at Magix might consider a fundamental UI rewrite. They left Xara a Windows app and only updated it as the OS changed. It was the only reason I ran Boot Camp. There are now OSX applications which will replace it without having to ride the Adobe train and spend weeks learning how to do the simplest operation. So I don't use Xara anymore, which frees me from having to run Windows.

• They left Xara a Windows app and only updated it as the OS changed. It was the only reason I ran Boot Camp. There are now OSX applications which will replace it without having to ride the Adobe train and spend weeks learning how to do the simplest operation. So I don't use Xara anymore, which frees me from having to run Windows.

You just have trouble understanding how optimized Xara is. Hence it has huge amount of code specific to Windows and making it work great on old slow computers. Modern apps with similar functions just use brute force and huge CPU/GPU resources.

• I would have had no trouble understanding that it was optimized for Windows had I known about it. I ran it on Windows 2000 back in the day, so I really do know how great it was.

• New version with speshul offer.

What's new in SpectraLayers Pro 4 Revolutionary audio editing: SpectraLayers Pro 4. The latest update is impressive with optimized workflows and improved performance as a standalone version as well as in cooperation with other programs such as Sound Forge Pro and AVID Pro Tools®.

Read more: http://www.magix.com/us/spectralayers/specials/spectralayers-pro-4/