• standard 2.3mp OLED EVF
    • mike input, headphone output
    • GPS
    • 150 x 98 x 71 mm
    • 725g
    • $8995, 7900 EUR price, preorder at http://www.adorama.com/hsx1d50c.html

http://www.hasselblad.com/x1d

PR

Hasselblad is proud to introduce the groundbreaking X1D – weighing less than half that of a conventional digital medium format camera, the mirrorless 50MP camera is a game changer in the world of photography.

Inspired by the brand’s iconic design heritage, the camera is ergonomic and compact, offering a handling experience unlike any other. Handmade in Sweden, the X1D combines Scandinavian sensibility with beautiful performance.

Like the iconic V System, the X1D seamlessly combines portability with excellent optical quality for which the brand is renowned. Hasselblad has ingeniously introduced mirrorless technology to digital medium format for the first time ever, creating a precision performance camera that can sit in the palm of your hand. The 50MP CMOS sensor captures the finest details with true natural colors.

Commenting on the announcement Perry Oosting, Hasselblad CEO noted: “The X1D marks a pivotal point in Hasselblad’s rich 75-year history. This camera makes medium format photography available to a new generation of Hasselblad users, while pushing the existing limits of photography to new heights.”

A completely new family of dedicated autofocus lenses has been developed to support optical quality and portability, offering a wide range of shutter speeds and full flash synchronization up to 1/2000th second.

Weighing just 725g and including HD video, Wi-Fi and built-in GPS, the X1D is a trusted partner and ideal travel companion. The robust exterior is dust and weather proof, providing durability to take with you wherever you go.

The X1D has been created with passionate photographers in mind, opening up Hasselblad to a new generation of creatives. Ideal for those who want to create the highest quality medium format images with a straightforward and easy to use camera that can fit in the palm of your hand.

The Hasselblad X1D is priced at 7,900 EUR / 8,995 USD / 5,990 GBP Prices stated are exclusive of VAT

• 59 Replies sorted by
  • Hmmm... $8995?...naw, I'll stick with my GH2!

• Year 2025

New Sanicon Alpha DC8500 introduced for $1999 offering only mid format sensor, 8K p120 16bit raw

Typical reply

And you still can get hacked GH2 for $199 on aliebay.com

• Most of a shock to people can be that if you produce it in volume you can without problems fit within $999 retail.

• Waiting the Sony A9 or A10 version by U$4000

• Reminds me of Blackmagic's design aesthetic.

• Looks like Hasselblad has got their mojo back.

• Well, I doubt one will see that much more image quality than from a Soyn A7R II.

But the Design is fine and the GUI's logical approach seems more like a design by Apple than a Sony camera…

• It would be great if they would produce a design specifically for video with that big sensor. Since they have no skin in the game now, they would not be knocking out their own products. Something around this price point with professional video would disrupt the market a lot.

• Looks, GUI and finish make it look like a toy. Maybe is an amazing camera, but clients would think I'm not a pro.

• @jazzroy

In presentation they said what GUI is same as in their more expensive cameras (or backs, I do not remember). It looks pretty slick with large elements and suited for touch operation.

• Impressions and interview

• I just realised, this month marks two years since the Pentax 645Z came out. Its launch priced was only US$500 less than the Hasselblad X1D! But the 645Z has since dropped US$1.5K, I bet this will put further price pressure on the 645Z. I wonder what Pentax has planned next?

• I wonder what Pentax has planned next?

Withdrawal from camera market?

• Tony Northrup opinion

• 'The X1D took only between 18 and 20 months to develop from the final concept to where we are today,' says Ove Bengtson. 'As it uses the same 50-million-pixel Sony IMX161 sensor, the same electronic platform and same processor as the H6D-50c most of the work was already done - designing a mirrorless system is relatively easy compared to our usual H cameras as there are no moving parts. We started discussing the idea in November 2013 but were still talking about it a year later before we decided to go ahead. The work that we had already done in the development of the H6D saved us a lot of time in research for the X1D.'

http://www.dpreview.com/interviews/7746435225/mirrorless-is-probably-the-future-an-interview-with-hasselblad-product-manager-ove-bengtson

• Rumors sites now tell that Fuji will release same camera, but with different design and mount

• It will be priced below the Hasselblad X1D
    • It will be announced in September at Photokina
    • It will ship in early 2017
    • It has the same 50MP Sony sensor used by the Hasselblad X1D-50c
    • It will have a new mount (not the same mount as the one form Hasselblad!)
    • It will be launched along three lenses (most likely three prime lenses)
    • It will be priced below the Hasselblad X1D (which costs $8999)