Personal View site logo
Sony A6300 4K 100mbit 14 stops DR little monster, official topic
  • 507 Replies sorted by
  • @Vitaliy: there is some interpolation starting at ISO 12,800. Not sure if it can be called RAW noise reduction, since the visual noise continually increases, and it matches the A6000's SNR. The A6300 uses Aptina's Dual Gain Conversion, basically giving the camera two base ISOs: 100 and 400. Seems like that's most apparent in DR, where it starts walking away from other cameras at 400.

And as above, the A6300 beats out the NX500 in all DXO charts except by a hair at ISO 100. DXO is too dependent on resolution in their scoring, and not enough on the overall results of their charts.

• The A6300 uses Aptina's Dual Gain Conversion

What is the source of this information?

All I see is same source - http://blog.kasson.com/?p=13723 and no official info at all.

It is not necessary dual gain at all, it can be some advanced noise reduction kicking in.

• I spotted this relative to potential use of Aptina's Dual Gain Conversion in the a6300:

http://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/57425727

• @firstbase

It is same post I referenced.

• Check out the thermal pad at 28+ minutes

• The rolling shutter of this camera is ugly. :(

• The rolling shutter of this camera is ugly. :(

It is known for long. :-)

• Battery grip

• Someone should make the DC Battery hollow and have the pack blow cold air into the interior of the camera, all in one unit. The electrical wire could be embedded in aquarium tube.

• @DrDave

This will be next step of progress.

Sony A8300, now with 8K, rec. limit without external cooler - 50 seconds, limit with portable cooler - 10 minutes. limit with on belt extended cooler - up to 29 minutes 29 seconds.

• Wait, you could make plastic freezer batteries, like ice cubes, and bring a dozen in a cooler to the gig. You could also keep beer in the cooler. Idea!

• Alexa music video

Making of, shot on A6300

• @MikeLinn, very nice work. The videoclip is very original and the footage of the making of with the A6300 have a look cinematic.

My question for you and everyone that use the A6300 for similar jobs is, how get control the overheat in a filmation?

• My question for you and everyone that use the A6300 for similar jobs is, how get control the overheat in a filmation?

Mike Linn is not the author. He is feeding p-v with footage :-) Nevertheless there are no issues for these bzs shots, You will never shoot clips which are longer 10 mins

I had it in bright daylight (25°C) as B-cam for an interview. 2,5hrs in total of shooting, 22 Clips, 3min shortest, 23mins (last one) longest. No issues. If you need constant shooting of clips >20mins get another camera. For what I use it it's perfect.

• Thanks @peaceonearth

I dont know if laugh or cry with Sony. They make the best sensors, great cameras but cant make a camera without overheating issue, is like I buy a Porsche or a expensive sport card and need stop every 45 minutes because the engine is overheat. The need a lesson from Panasonic in that aspect; with GH2, GX7 and now GX8 I never had issue of overheating, with the NEX-5N after short time the camera is a grill

When you use this camera with short clips, you turn off or only let of record and keep the camera power on? I like this camera for a future in 6 months or a year, Is like a mini A7S/A7R but for video dont look very functional.

• I dont know if laugh or cry with Sony. They make the best sensors, great gear and cant make a camera without overheating issue, is like I buy a Porsche or a expensive sport card and need stop every 45 minutes because the engine is overheat. The need a lesson from Panasonic in that aspect; with GH2, GX7 and now GX8 I never had issue of overheating, with the NEX-5N after short time the camera is a grill

It is not so complex thing. You can look at Samsung who has best APS-C cameras designs considering video (with removing all flash related things from body and very small motherboard).

As I can understand Sony has big issues designing LSI, especially after big compacts sales fall.

• @Manu4Vendetta

that comparison it totally off. A6300 is neither a Porsche nor expensive nor a sports car. It's a cheap 4K camera with great results in photo and video both. If you need professional reliability for long recording spend some more money - it doesn't have to be Porsche equivalent. I don't know about Samsung but if it's better go for that.

• @Vitaliy_Kiselev, Sony need improvement the issues on theirs cameras. I like the NX1, but I have some Sony lenses and I cant invest in another optical system.

@peaceonearth, you have undestand the example, dont think in a box if this camera is eqiuvalent to a Porsche or a Toyota, but think a Boxster isnt a GT3 RS, but both are Porsche, anyaway, forget the Porsche example if you have centered in if this camera is equivalente to a Porsche or a Kia. Then imagine a Civic, and the driver need every 30 minutes turn off the vehicle because the engine is overheat. Is the respect to thee consumer. I see some homemade solutions that make owners of the A6300 and I think in the respect to consumers and that Sony can not make a fully efficient article. Ok, now if i buy a Picanto, a cheap utilitary car an dont have the price of an Audi A8, i need make modifications for better working of the inexpensive car.

Very intelligent, if I dont pay for a Varicam my GX8 need turn off my camera for recording video, if I need a better camera then buy an Alexa or a Varicam. Panasonic has several cameras that record 4K, some cheaper than A6300 and have no problem, the GH4 is reliable and with a closer priice.

http://www.filmaker.cn/thread-67729-1-1.html

• the GH4 is reliable and with a closer priice.

why don't you just go for it?

• I would wait for the GH5 rather than get the GH4. Hopefully Sony with announce an APSC size sensor camera with IBS at Photokina as well...

• Sony A6300 Slog3 4K Test