Personal View site logo
Magix aquired Sony's Video Editing and Music Software Portfolio
  • Berlin, May 24, 2016 – MAGIX Software GmbH, a German software and app provider, is acquiring a majority of the Sony Creative Software (SCS) products.

MAGIX Software GmbH is a leading creator of video, music, and photo-editing software and apps in Europe and is already well established in the US market. By purchasing Sony Creative Software products, including the full Vegas Pro, Movie Studio, Sound Forge Pro, and ACID Pro product lines, MAGIX is further cementing its position in the market and accelerating its international growth. The SCS Catalyst Browse and Catalyst Production Suite will continue to be developed by Sony for professional broadcast and production applications.

“These products from Sony Creative Software are the perfect addition to our portfolio. We have already strengthened our presence in the United States in order to propel development and sales. This autumn, we plan to release new versions of the video-editing programs Vegas Pro and Movie Studio, which are heavily oriented toward the customer requirements of today,” says MAGIX CEO Klaus Schmidt.

MAGIX will continue to support all current SCS customers who purchased products from Sony to ensure a seamless end user experience.

• 19 Replies sorted by
  • Could finally add some serious competition to the mix, with advanced audio capabilities. Interesting.

• Well, they didn't do much with Xara. This was a great Windows graphics application, which could have been updated and ported to OSX. All they did was provide updates with new versions of Windows. It was not mentioned in the press release, but I wonder if this includes Spectralayers Pro.

• Good news, maybe we'll actually be able to get some worthwhile upgrades. I'd be willing to pay for a Vegas 14 upgrade if it addressed the following -

Timecode bug with Panasonic mov files, Raw dng workflow, HDR mastering & HEVC export, Stability improvements, Round tripping to After Effects

It's still the most intuitive editor on the planet and worthy of much more development.

• Most probably they will still have their own products as leads, may be having editors in parallel for 1-2 year and merging it afterwards.

In entry level consumer segment Magix products are better.

• Im not sure how to take this news as an avid sony vegas pro user, Its the only video editing/coloring tools I use.I hope basic tracking, better composition and coloring tools are on the way, and most importantly improve performance with high end video cards (better integration with ofx plugins and magic bullet suite), I switched many cards over the years, and really not much improvements.As an audio guy to begin with, the workflow for editing of vegas is so close to daw editing (pro tools cubase) and I hope it stays this way.

• A guy on the Magix forum says that Sony's keeping their highest line of editing software and will make it rental-based only

• Magix has indicated that they are opening a new studio in Madison, WI, and hiring. So it would appear that they plan to keep the old SCS software going with at least some of the same employees. I think that's good news. Vegas Pro is still my favorite video editing software, even with all of its quirks and limitations.

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/opening-our-new-develoment-studio-usa-madison-wi-soon-klaus-schmidt?trk=prof-post

• These products from Sony Creative Software are the perfect addition to our portfolio. We have already strengthened our presence in the United States in order to propel development and sales. This autumn, we plan to release new versions of the video-editing programs Vegas Pro and Movie Studio, which are heavily oriented toward the customer requirements of today

• The news was first leaked when Magix was noted for hiring software engineers in Madison, WI. So they are 'positioning' to develop the 'old' SCS line somewhat, that is their home.

@robertGL Sony is keeping the Catalyst software.

• This is good news. Progress of Sony software had been too slow.

• Too late. Premiere is kicking their ass.

• Magix announced a new version that will launch in September. But what they seem to highlight as the newest feature beside a redesign along with 4k and HEVC Hardware Acceleration support, is the native ProRes capabilities and support. So will this be the go to Prores editing software for Windows users ?

They also lowered the price from $600 to $200 and are giving Vegas Pro 14 for free if you purchase the 13 !!

Magix seem to be very enthusiastically supporting Vegas! :) Unlike Sony who let Sony languish :(

Here is the offer link http://www.magix.com/us/specials/vegas/exclusive-welcome-offer/

• NLE wars. Finally.

• Redo the user interface for Spectralayers Pro. It is powerful, but painful to use.

• Spectralayers is very specific software. They can try to add its features to Magix editors, they also have spectrum edit capability but they are much weaker.

• I already have Vegas 13 ... hoping they'll have an upgrade to v14 for around $99.

• NLE wars. Finally.

"Rumors" something happening with Final Cut:

http://www.redsharknews.com/post/item/3635-is-something-dramatic-about-to-happen-with-fcp-x

Epic show down of Adobe vs Apple vs Magix?? And Blackmagic Design is rapidly turning DaVinci Resolve into a fully fledged NLE.

Of courses Adobe is the behemoth here, so they'd be the betting favorite. And Apple has their massive brand following to leverage, what does Magix have?